Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-77T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-77T
Alinco DX-77T Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1059.00
Description: 10m-160m HF tranceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-77T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-77T.

N6XA Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2000 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little rig. Love it more and more every weekend I own it. Uncle Sol has helped alot, but this rig and a G5RV antenna has worked better for me than the previous two rigs and antennas (both more $$$).

Two small problems, all rigs have some. The AGC causes some audio distortion on SSB. It is not all that bad though and only happens on some signals (read WB1FPA's review and use his mod to eleminate problem). Alinco has aparently done a lot of modification to reduce the problem. Suspect many users will not even notice the effect on current production units (I am picky though).

Secondly, the noise blanker either does nothing at all or causes a little popping noise (useless).

There is far more good than bad on this one. The DX77t has a great little receiver. It is simple to use but seems to have most of the essential features. Would definately buy this rig again. A

--Ed Legenza N6XA@home.com

K1TWH Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2000 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Very good value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alinco DX-77T (#T000882) by Tom Howey WB1FPA
In Price Range Rating = 5 (Overall Rating @ 4)
-____I received my DX-77T about mid-June 2000. I quickly placed the unit on the air and solicited comments on Tx audio and while observing the receive audio. I have an Alinco DX-70T in my vehicle which I had used at home for a couple of years. The only notable shortcoming of the DX-70T was the 1 kHz narrow SSB filter doing double duty as a CW narrow filter. It worked, but not too wide when the bands were crowded. So I decided to give the DX-77 a go.
-____All the oscillators in the DX-77T are either controlled by or directly generated by Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS). The two DDS chips control the up-conversion from signal to 71 MHz conversion, the 71 MHz to 8.8 MHz conversion, and finally the 8.8 MHz "BFO" for demodulation of SSB/RTTY/Digital and CW. This final DDS also creates the needed signal when converting from 8.8 MHz to 455 kHz for the FM mode. A neat & tidy arrangement. The QST product review indicated fair to good oscillator noise performance. The DX-77 shares a characteristic of the DX-70T. You turn it on, its ready to go from a cold start. Very good stability. Even more impressive on a cold New Hampshire morning when the DX-70 is ready to go & on frequency right away. You don't have to buy any accessories for this, it comes standard. Nicely done & on a budget at that. What would a 'top-end' Alinco look and perform like?
-____The Receiver has good sensitivity and low background noise. With the preamp on & dipole connected, antenna noise is clearly audible on all bands. As supplied, my DX-77T had some annoying distortion on SSB receive. You could hear the raspy distortion on CW signals as well when listening in the LSB or USB modes. A 1 uFd monolithic ceramic capacitor was placed from the AGC testpoint to ground on the 'main' PCB and the distortion was gone! The AGC slow and fast time constants and Tx/Rx turn-around seemed exactly the same . To be certain, I'll pass this information on to Alinco for their consideration. If you decide to try this mod, enter at your own risk. I don't know if it would void the warranty and since this is a surface mount PCB, extreme care is called for. My DX-77T & its excellent 2.7 kHz IF filter now has very respectable & enjoyable SSB/CW receive audio. I don't know if only my unit has this distortion or if it is common to all the DX-77's? Seems like it must be just my unit since distorted audio wasn't mentioned at all in the other reviews.
-____The AM reception is actually quite good. Of course a 8 kHz bandwidth is too wide for SWLing on allot of crowded bands, but if the frequency happens to be clear on both upper & lower sides, then the sound is wonderful. As with many other radios, the DX-77T offers the user the SSB filter for AM reception use. The difference in the DX-77 is that the 2.7 kHz filter is a very acceptable AM narrow filter. Tune 1.3 kHz up or down from center and the recovered signal is good, and the skirt selectivity of the stock SSB filter is excellent.
-____Although the DX-77T comes well equipped for FM, I've not had a chance to test it. Just haven't heard any 10M FM at all, yet. Not even repeaters. So much for a solar peak. The circuitry in the DX-77 is very similar to the DX-70 so I expect the same good FM performance. The 8 kHz bandwidth should excel on FM.
-____The Tx section passed the WB1FPA chassis radiation tests. No RFI on nearby TV's when running into a dummy load. It would surprise allot of people to find out some of the rigs I've tested over the years & found them to be poorly shielded. Does anyone out there remember the 70's QST cover showing the Kenwood TS-520 inside copper screen while being tested for excessive chassis radiation? No one I've spoken to at ARRL so far remembers. ARRL does not check the rigs for this problem anymore. Perhaps they figure that everyone has cable-TV or satellite-TV. One rig I tested caused TVI to TVs on cable! I think its a test that is worthwhile to do. If you live in a TV fringe area you'll be happy to know that Alinco takes RF serious and the RFI stays where it belongs, inside this well shielded radio. Both the DX-70 and DX-77 were in amongst the best shielded radios I've tested over the years.
-____Like others, I too have received reports of very good SSB Tx audio. If any mic gain adjustment is needed for your voice & location, do it with the speech compressor on. I found that adjusting with it off meant that when the compressor was enabled, the audio was too harsh. About the only way Alinco could improve SSB Tx would be to better suppress the "talk-back" heard in the speaker or headphones when transmitting. While it is tolerable, the radio deserves better than letting this go unattended. A review of the AF circuitry shows that Alinco did place a transistor configured as an electronic filter in series with the voltage going to the audio amplifier, but some how the squawk gets through. I double checked to make certain that a DC power supply ground loop was not causing the problem, and finding no ground loop, I concluded the squawk was internally caused.
-____The CW Rx and Tx on this rig is super. Not only did Alinco supply the 400 Hz CW IF filter, but there is the same audio filter that's in the DX-70 in the DX-77T. No hiss, just signals. Adjustable sidetone/offset is excellent. One minor drawback is that the TR relay is noisy, but if that is what it takes to give full break-in on a budget radio, count me in. PS; low power in the 50 or the 100W position is about 10W, not 5 in the 50W position as was reported in QST (unless the Alinco people made circuit changes.
-____My overall rating is a 4.5 due to the squawk-back on SSB Tx, the distorted SSB Rx I fixed (although if its only my unit, then I retract my complaint), the fact that the CW filter can't be used on SSB for the digital modes and the noisy TR relay on CW break-in. Clearly though, in its price range, never has so much solid performance been brought to the marketplace at such an affordable price. I'd definitely by another!
-_________Tom Howey WB1FPA (WB1FPA@arrl.net)

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2000 10:37 Send this review to a friend
HOORAY ALINCO  Time owned: unknown months
After a month of constant use, I can say it's the best rig for the money I have ever had. CW is flawless, filters on CW and SSB are remarkable. If you don't have one, you are missing the boat. I've owned the finest of Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu, now,,,I have the best of the finest..

W4HGG Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2000 12:57 Send this review to a friend
The best rig that packs a huge punch  Time owned: unknown months
I BOUGHT THE DX-77T THIS WEEKEND AT THE KENNEHOOCHIE HAM FEST
AND IT IS THE BEST HF-RIG I HAVE EVER OWNED. I WORKED THE CANARY ISLANDS
JUST FIVE MINUTES AFTER I GOT IT SET UP AND GOT A 5X9 + 20db. THEY HAVE DONE
A GREAT JOB WITH THIS FEATURE FILLED, SIMPLE RIG

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2000 21:35 Send this review to a friend
A REALLY BIG DEAL IN A SMALL PACKAGE  Time owned: unknown months
I have owned one for one week now. Find that it is an excellent rig. NO problems with CW dits or dahs. It performs great. Needs to have KEY, SPEAKER, on back rather than front. Needs MIKE GAIN control. Otherwise, a terrific little rig, just right for new ham or old geezer like me. This one is absolutely a fun little rig...

KA9CAR Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2000 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, performs as advertised!  Time owned: unknown months
I have owned my DX-77T and EDX-2 automatic antenna tuner for 18 months. I use the rig for SSTV, PSK31, CW and SSB. It is connected to my Computer logging software (LOG-EQF) for automatic Logging.
I have come to EXPECT unsolicited compliments on my transmit Audio. I am using a "computer" Electrostatic microphone / headphone combination ! Just bridge JMP-1 (next to audio gain control) to provide the +5v to the electret mic.

Good: I agree with the comments above. I.F. Passband slope tuning is very useful.

Bad It will not do CROSSMODE split. Built in speaker on mine is junk, I use an external speaker when not using headphones. Another KNOWN bug is the Noise Blanker. It can make signals sound terrible under certain conditions. There is NO externally accessable Microphone gain control.

Summary I would buy another one. BE CAREFUL to get the correct model. One ham store is selling a model THAT DOES NOT include the CW filter.

HP1HEW Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 1999 15:47 Send this review to a friend
best radio dollar per dollar!!  Time owned: unknown months
I own 3 DX 77 and one 70. They are the best radios you can find dollar per dollar, and the service is very good...I reccomend it to any beginner or to any club....worked the WAC finished the DXCC and other awards in one year onlyaqll with the DX77.

AA2T Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 1999 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig at a REAL bargain price  Time owned: unknown months
When I bought this HF transciever for what I paid a few years ago for a good dual band HT, I wasn't expecting a whole lot. But I'm pleasantly surprised. Works well, no problem with pileups, decent 500Hz CW filter, and AM is real good too.
FM works fine through the repeaters and simplex.
I get some audio reports that they would like more bass response (with Alinco desk mike) but no serious complaints. I do find the keyer occasionally adds an extra dash, not sure if there's key bounce on my end or there's a firmware bug. Do notice a little bit of reciever "clicking" when s9+10 or over CW stations are a Kc or two away from a weak s1-2 station with the 500Hz filter in.
Receiver runs fine down to 150Khz. Good first cheap rig, worked almost all of the dx-peditions in the last year with wire antennas. Didn't find any conditions where I couldn't make a qso due to lacking a dsp or any other feature on the rig. High SWR protected finals and fan cooled heatsink. I do notice a little audio distortion at very low levels.