Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT2K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2K
Palstar AT2K Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$529.00
Description: A newly-designed, smaller roller inductor allows the AT2K to tune 6 Meters, while a relay-switched toroid adds the extra inductance needed for 160 Meter coverage. Newly designed capacitors feature lower minimum capacitance for improved high band performance, while maximum capacitance has been increased to 400pF for better low band performance. In addition, the Peak/Peak Hold metering from the PM2000 has been incorporated into the AT2K.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at2k.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2K.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2014 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Couldn't be any better.

KM4CQG Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Tune Everthing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quality construction with quality components.

Tuned my non resonant 10 to 80 meter antenna on every band. If you take your time your SWR can be 1 to 1 even on your homes gutters.

AT2k was tested from 10 watts to 1500 watts and never failed or caused any issues.

Highly recommend if you want a manual tuner.

Ian

KC3BER Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2014 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine at a local hamfest about 5 months ago for $175. It was in the original box and looks brand new. It works great, tunes anything and I have had no problems with it so far. My only complaint is the light on the meter. It would look much nicer if they used a white LED bulb. That's just my opinion though. The tuner it replaced was a MFJ-993 intellituner and I can tell you that the AT2K tunes my antennas on frequencies where the MFJ-993 couldn't. I like it and highly recommend it.

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 02:38 Send this review to a friend
YEP! nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thi is a great 2KW tuner. Easy to tune / use and works very well, well built and looks great!

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got the AT2K as the first step toward a KW upgrade of my station. The construction is clean and very neat - absolutely first class. The tuner works like a dream and is first class from end to end. I had a minor problem and called Palstar to ask about it. They wanted it back to fix the issue so I sent it to them on a Monday. It got there on Wednesday before lunch, they fixed the issue, and sent it back to me. I got it on Friday just after lunch. That is 5 days there and back with a fix in the middle. I've been a ham for a very long time and I have never seen customer service this good. Thanks Palstar. The issue was fixed and I am very impressed. I wish they made other things. It doesn't get any better than they are.

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Rave  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with all the raves about the build, the functionality, the customer service and can only add that it is fun as well. I love seeing the SWR drop before my eyes and knowing that my antenna is tuned as best as possible. No more idiot lights for me!
If you have never used a manual tuner you might want to look at a video or two on you tube.
Especially
This video was very helpful in explaining how a roller inductor tuner works and has some great tips about getting the most out of one.
Palstar's reputation is well deserved.

KF7JBG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Quality, Service and Performance - The Palstar AT2K Trifecta  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are no shortage of tuner models to choose from today. After owning several auto and manual tuners, both unbalanced and balanced and all under 600W capacity, it was time to upgrade.

My requirements, budget and research pointed me to Palstar. Paul pragmatically answered my remaining questions and Eva was quick to follow-up on email. Getting a real person on the phone is a simple pleasure.

After two months of operation, I only wish I would have invested in an AT2K earlier. But as Hams, we hopefully learn from mis-steps. The AT2K quality and performance is leaps ahead of other brands - albeit it costs a little more.

I run a Kenwood TS-590s and Ameritron Amplifier with the Palstar feeding a DX Engineering Current Balun and a 92' doublet antenna. The AT2K enables me to tune from 10-80m quickly. Most importantly, the settings are very repeatable. Nominal adjustments, due to wet weather, are handled easily and accurately with the 6:1 veneer style tuning knobs and roller inductor. The tuning range is also more than I expected. For example, I can set the tuner at 7.230 and maintain a flat SWR from 7.200 to 7.260.

I especially like the rear coax connector specifically provided for balanced feedlines that are tied to external baluns. It enables the Palstar to maximize the entire matching network - a feature typically bypassed in lower quality tuners. Whereas most automatic tuners have a range of 20 - 1000 Ohm, the AT2K will extend your range to 1500 Ohm. (In the past, I was limited to a few narrow bands on 80M below a SWR of 2:1.) The size and capacity of the Palstar variable capacitors and inductor also cleaned up some stray RF that was an artifact of saturating my lower wattage tuners. (My over-sight.)

Finally, the Palstar quality is visible inside and out. The aluminum chassis is thicker, mounting holes align, solder joints are bright and the stencils are crisp. This tuner will be the mainstay of my shack for years to come.

KD5MXK Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 16:08 Send this review to a friend
TIME TESTED  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'VE HAD THIS ABOUT A YEAR AND PROBABLY ABUSED IT MORE THAN I KNOW. IT JUST KEEPS TUNING WHATEVER I AM USING FOR AN ANTENNA. RIGHT NOW THAT IS A SIMPLE MULTI-BAND FROM DX ENGINEERING AND IT IS WORKING ALMOST AS GOOD AS MY LOOP, WHICH I TOOK DOWN AND INTENDED TO PUT RIGHT BACK UP--A YEAR AGO. THIS TUNER WORKS WELL WITH MY AMP DESPITE MY OCCASIONAL MISTAKES IN BAND, LOAD, AND PLATE. IN ANY CASE, DARN GOOD TUNER. JUST SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET THE GOOD ONE FIRST.

KY3W Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2013 08:12 Send this review to a friend
One of the better tuners  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The only initial problem I experienced was realigning the inductor. The set screw was loose. Easy fix.

After a few months I got tired of looking at the misaligned power meter. Palstar meters always read low for whatever reason. Calibration was simple. Just remember to test with the cover on. It reads different without it. For best accuracy, calibrate in the mid to upper range on both the low and high scales. 100-200W for low, 500-1500W for high.

My maximum power is 1.2KW and I only use high power on 160 & 75M. I never experienced arcing with my AT2K on these bands. Antenna is a 180ft center fed with 400 ohm feed line.

I use the Palstar 1:1 current balun with my AT2K and about 10ft of RG-213 from balun to tuner.

W7KKK Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2013 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many tuners over the years and there is no doubt that this is a nice one.
However I am going to give it a 4 due to quality control in the manufacturing process.
The unit arrived from the shipper and the box was in very nice condition so there was no shipping damage.
I noted when turning the inductor that there was a slight bind and a noise that went along with it in the mid range.
Rather than ship a brand-new tuner in for warranty repair and be without I removed the cover to fix the problem myself. I found by using a straight edge on the shaft that supports the contact wheel for the inductor that it had a slight inward bend right in the middle of the coil.
After carefully correcting that bend in the shaft the inductor tunes much more smoothly throughout its range and is not a problem.
I did contact Palstar to let them know that I thought that this was a manufacturing fault and should have been caught after final assembly by simply running the controls through their full range as it would have been felt and heard.