Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Palstar AT2K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2K
Palstar AT2K Reviews: 118 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $595.95
Description: A newly-designed, smaller roller inductor allows the AT2K to tune 6 Meters, while a relay-switched toroid adds the extra inductance needed for 160 Meter coverage. Newly designed capacitors feature lower minimum capacitance for improved high band performance, while maximum capacitance has been increased to 400pF for better low band performance. In addition, the Peak/Peak Hold metering from the PM2000 has been incorporated into the AT2K.

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2K.

W1BG Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2018 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Quality Slipping  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As KE5GGY also noted in his review, the 6-position switch leaves much to be desired, as the previous good, positive detent in older units is notably missing. With the new switch you have to be somewhat careful in making your selection as it's fully possible to end up halfway between two positions. In my opinion this represents an obvious cheapening of the bill of materials. How much are they really saving? Otherwise the tuner works great, which is more than I can say for an AT2K-D which I just returned DOA to Gigaparts.
N0AAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Solid and a good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I returned an MFJ-989D which had serious quality control issues and I purchased this tuner to replace it at the recommendation from the folks at HRO.

Solid construction, a METAL crank for the inductor, the turns counter works properly and no parts floating around in the cabinet! It tunes up my 73 foot end-fed long wire on all bands running a KW from my AL-80B.

I agree with previous posts about the numbers on the dials and turns counter being hard to read at a distance.

It is a little expensive but you get what you pay for. I would absolutely recommend this product.
K6JMQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2018 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have about 50 hours on my AT2K and I'm very happy with. There are two things I would change. The inductor control numerals are small and can be difficult to read if the tuner is more than an arm's length away. The other issue I have is the coax (antenna) selector feels "mushy". Everything else about the unit is top notch.
KE5GGY Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2018 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Reputation - Time Will Tell  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a fan of the Palstar product for years. I've owned the AT2K-D and loved it. I recently purchased, in Jan 2018, a new AT2K HF Antenna Tuner. I bought it directly from Palstar in Ohio.

The tuner itself is a ROCKSTAR and makes getting 'tuned up' very easy. Compared with my MFJ 962D tuner, the Palstar is much smoother and easier to operate.

I'm currently using the AT2K with a Zero-Five vertical and it tunes up very easily on 80 and 40 meters.

My only concern with this tuner is the quality of construction, and specifically quality of the Direct-Tuned Mode Switch. The Palstar switches that I've grown accustomed to have a firmer pull with a distinct 'click' when it's in position. What I'm 'feeling' on this new AT2K tuner is a less 'solid' switching 'click' into position, reminiscent of an older 'worn' switches. I'm concerned that it's not going to hold up for the long haul.

I've written to Palstar regarding this, and they informed me that, in spite of my description, the part is of high quality and is not defective. Still, it's interesting to note that several other reviewers have made similar comments.

In summary, I love the Palstar product. I wouldn't keep buying them, and pay a premium price, if I didn't believe they were the best. I am concerned that, due to their growth, they may not be able to maintain quality control. I certainly hope so. Time will tell.

73 Pete Thomson
KE5GGY - Denton, Texas

If you have any questions about my review you're welcome to email me at ke5ggy at gmail dot com or check into 3.916 MHz any night between 7 and 10 PM Central.
KM6NTW Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2018 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a full power ATU to tune a multi-band dipole which I could never get below 3:1 SWR on 20m. I was hesitant to pay this much, but it was worth it. With this tuner, I get 1.2:1 across the whole band. I found no issues with the build quality and the instructions are clear.
LY1O Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2017 18:56 Send this review to a friend
bad basic part  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using tiuner for half a year.
Very good product.
1. Product quality assurance - 4 points
2. Accuracy of the measuring device - 4 points
3. Functionality - 5 points
4. Appearance - 4 points
5. Reliability - 0 points
I appreciate how Mickosoft Windows pays attention to the computer - under the weakest hardware.
The weakest place is the roller inductor. It has a plasma body in place of the ceramic. Do not hold that roler inductor housing. Deformation and no inductor. I changed the inductor to the ceramic and everything works super!
PALSTAR saves your prestigious account. In the adverts of dileri it was said that the induction ceramic ...
I do not believe in PALSTAR!
73! Jonas LY1O
VE3BXG Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Better than an autotuner!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the AT2K to replace an LDG AT-600ProII autotuner that was defective right out of the box. Not only could it not tune my system, but it made enough noise to wake the dead. The AT2K is easy to use and tunes your antenna in a few seconds. I'm new to ham radio and my initial bias was toward an autotuner. But I'm now asking myself why anyone would prefer one of those finicky and noisy beasts to something as simple and reliable as the AT2K manual tuner.
WU2M Rating: 2/5 Aug 23, 2017 09:15 Send this review to a friend
They used to be good. Not anymore.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these tuners several years ago and it has performed well.
We purchased another one for use at a club station over the winter and discovered it is not the same tuner as the original. The Quality control at Palstar must be lacking because we had one stuck switch AND bad solder joints to deal with to get the meter to work. This was right out of the box. I guess this thing is really a 500 watt tuner because at 1KW the inductor had burnt.
I'm sure that someone will tell me that it is the fault of the antenna or something else but the old old MFJ roller inductor tuner just keeps working.
Sorry Palstar, we will not be buying your products anymore. The only reason I am giving a 2 in this review is because the old one works well. I hope that Palstar reads these reviews and gets their act together like it used to be.
W8EAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The Cadillac of Tuners  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used, and didn't feel necessary to open it up (based on previous owner communication) - plug and play. Worked from day one and continues to work as expected. Using 100 watts into an end fed, tunes 80-10 easily, Bought with the idea that I will eventually buy an amplifier; the AT2K will be the right choice for that purpose.
KA2Z Rating: 0/5 Jun 9, 2017 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cant believe all the glowing reviews on here for this tuner.
I ordered one. Thinking its going to be good quality.
It came, when I took it out of the box, the crank for the inductor was not moving the numbers, and the antenna selector switch was just turning without stops at each selection.
What the...
I dont care if it is a good design, these tuners are obviously being assembled by high school kids, or cheap labor that dont care less!
Feels light weight and cheap too, like an MFJ tuner.
I sent this junk right back.
I'll look on ebay for an old Johnson Viking matchbox.