Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT2K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2K
Palstar AT2K Reviews: 91 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$529.00
Description: A newly-designed, smaller roller inductor allows the AT2K to tune 6 Meters, while a relay-switched toroid adds the extra inductance needed for 160 Meter coverage. Newly designed capacitors feature lower minimum capacitance for improved high band performance, while maximum capacitance has been increased to 400pF for better low band performance. In addition, the Peak/Peak Hold metering from the PM2000 has been incorporated into the AT2K.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at2k.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2K.

N3HYB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
The United States Postal Service tried their best to smash my well packaged AT2K enroute to Michigan. They succeeded in crushing the upper right corner. I called Palstar and Eva answered the phone. She is selling me parts at cost! Find another company that does this? Their product is excellent but their service and customer support is beyond great. Thank you Eva and Paul.

N3HYB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two AT2k's. Not only have they both served me well but so does the company. The meter on one of my tuners became slightly off not wanting to return to zero forward watts. I sent it in and they fixed it for free serviced it and sent it back in just a few days. I have always been able to tune whatever antenna I needed to from 6 Meters to 160. These amps are dependable and backed by a caring company. If you get the chance buy one.

W1QP Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Quality Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this tuner to replace a 300W tuner from a different company due to plans to add an amplifier. When I unpacked it from the box, the high quality of the tuner was evident. This tuner blows away the previous one. I can tune more of the 80M band now where the other tuner just gave up. This tuner is more expensive than the one from the other company but it is by far of much higher quality. I can now operate on more of the bands then I was able to before. I highly recomend this tuner. Pay the price. You buy it once and you have it for life. You won't be disappointed.

N0DQS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
solid tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used the tuner for about 4 years now and very smooth and solid, I think construction is good, tunes anything I wish to tune rather easy. Much smoother more predictible than the tuner that it replaced in the shack. Handles my amp just fine.

KE4CQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner and great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for about 1 1/2 years. I made a mistake and damaged my selector switch which required repair. Palstar replaced the switch, upgraded my knobs and performed a complete service. My tuner was promptly shipped the same day they received it! Great job Palstar!

N4NS Rating: 1/5 Jan 16, 2013 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Down grading my rating  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am down grading my rating because the voltage of the input and the output of the tuner appear on the front and rear wafers of the antenna switch. Some of the recommended tunings, especially on the 160 meter band, can cause arcing at the rated power. This was verified by disconnecting the bypass off of the front wafer (isolating the input/output), arcing stopped. Palstar should have recalled this tuner to fix this. I have order a higher rated switch for it.

KD5MXK Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 19:41 Send this review to a friend
GOOD ONE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I BOUGHT THIS ABOUT A YEAR AGO, PLANNING TO GET AN AMP. I DIDN'T GET THE AMP YET BUT IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM ON ANYWIRE I CAN GET IN THE AIR. ALWAYS START AT THE SUGGESTED SETTINGS AND FINE TUNE FROM THERE. I CALLED ONCE AND GET THE HELP NEEDED FROM A VERY PLEASANT YOUNG LADY. EVEN MAILED ME THE TOOL I NEEDED AS I LIVE IN A REMOTE AREA. IF YOU WANT TO DO THE JOB AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING GET ONE. THE DIALS TELL YOU THINGS THE AUTO TUNERS DON'T.

WU2M Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Palstar did it right!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Palstar has a real winner here. The AT2K works great and feels solid. It's fit and finish is good and it functions as it should. Everything feels super smooth unlike some other tuners that are made very cheap.
I use this tuner with a double G5RV (Just getting back on the air, better antennas to come in the spring!) and an Alpha 89 and have had no problems at all. I think this tuner is a keeper!

K4KZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2012 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used other tuners since 1978. This is the best tuner I have ever owned. As others have said, it is well-built and performs well. Expensive, but well worth it-in my opinion.

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This tuner has been in use for the better part of the year, and it has never disappointed.

The capacitor movement is geared-down, and very smooth. The inductor is less smooth, but it is still not bad. The movement of the inductor is a little clunky for the user, but electrically it is very solid. Moving the inductor with power applied results in smooth SWR transitions.

The watt-meter appears to be within tolerance when compared to my LP-100A. The LED backlight is very nice. Finally, a meter with no bulbs!

The front panel rotary switch is nice. There are two dedicated antenna connectors, plus a "bypass" position, that I use to connect to a load resistor. Both antenna connectors can be bypassed or sent through the T network, just by turning that switch.

I do not notice any SWR drift due to heating of the tuner components, even at the 500W level on RTTY.

For a tuner that claims this power range, I would prefer N connectors to M. That said, the provided sockets are all tight.

The highest SWR I have tried to match was about 6:1 at the tuner.