Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dishtronix Prometheus Help

Reviews Summary for Dishtronix Prometheus
Dishtronix Prometheus Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$9,250 - 14,000+
Description: Amateur Radio's First Solid-State Legal-Limit+ 160-10m HF Amplifier
Prometheus is the result of 10,000 hours of research and development over a five year period, offering serious radio amateurs unmatched performance and reliability.
More info: http://www.dishtronix.com/prometheus.html

You can write your own review of the Dishtronix Prometheus.

VE7ON Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2015 16:12 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Prometheus for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. A complete joy to operate. It is quiet, instant on (a few seconds), instant band changes and delivers the power. I get constant "big signal" reports. I easily produces 1500 + watts. Band hopping is as easy as changing the rig's frequency. A dream to operate.

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2015 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Built Like A Tank  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a used Prometheus DX2400 and it performs just like the other reviewers state. I can't add anything except to say it works great and is commercially quality built. Mike at DISHTRONICS is also great to work with.

K4AAV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2014 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Reliable and Incredible!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About four years ago I began looking for a no-tune amplifier to add to my station and it had to be one of solid reliability. I narrowed it down to two, one being the Prometheus and the other, well, I will not mention their name. Needless to say, I went with the other maker and had nothing but issues and regrets over a span of almost four years. It turned out to be the most unreliable piece of equipment I owned, so I finally parted ways with it.

I went back to researching all the makers I could find that met my requirements and all roads lead me back to the Prometheus. I Contacted all the owners of a Prometheus that I could find to learn of their experiences. Most if not all responded and with great and honest opinions of their experiences with the Prometheus. I also spoke with Mike Dishop of Distronix's in great length on several occasions and he thoroughly explained his design and answered all my questions. My decision was made and I made the purchase.

Received the Prometheus as scheduled and took my time getting things unpacked, inspected and put together. Everything looked great and well packaged. By request of Mike Dishop as he does with all his Prometheus owners, I then spent a couple of hours on the phone with Mike as he walked the dog on how the Prometheus works and going through all the menus setting them for my operating preference. Who else does that? Great customer service by Mike!

On the air... Just wow. Since I received it, I been operating the Prometheus on all bands running it hard making contact after contact. The amplifier exceeds all my expectations! It is heavy and robust with a sense of beauty in its design. The internal engineering is just amazing to look at. Mike has really thought this design out from end to end to include expansive protection circuits. On the air, well all I can say is and I quote from others, "it just works". All bands are an easy consistent 1500 watts out with 45-50 watt drive and follows the radio with the switch of the band. Signal reports have been amazing. With the advent of Flex Radios and SDR receivers, everyone now wants to be an RF engineer, so I have also received great reports of how clean the signal is.

The Prometheus has far exceeded my expectations. When you research a product to purchase and read reviews and talk to others who own the item, you now then have make the decision to whether or not reviewers are making a mountain out of a mole hole.I can honestly say in the case of the Prometheus, it is everything it is said to be and what others have stated.

If you are looking for a "no compromise" amplifier that "just works", the Prometheus is for you!!! Best decision I have made in this hobby and only wish I would have made it four years ago... Thank Mike for a great product!

73, K4AAV

K6KAR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In Greek mythology, Prometheus ďgives fire to humanity.Ē The Prometheus DX2400L is appropriately named as it truly puts a LOT OF FIRE into the wire! As of this writing, I have had my DX2400L installed and operational for 3 weeks. This is the only solid state amateur radio amplifier that provides continuous 1.5KW output, key down capability and itís manufactured right here in America. I have been into the hobby of amateur radio since the age of 14 (1954). During these 59 years I have owned some of the very best ham radio equipment available. The Prometheus is the best of the best. Itís extremely easy to operate and best of all, Steven M. Dishop (Mike), who is the designer, builder and is a master electronics engineer, provides exceptional setup guidance. There has not been a time that if I had the simplest of questions Mike would take the time to provide a detailed explanation. I am extremely pleased with the DX2400L performance. Iíve already mentioned that Dishtronix customer service is outstanding. Mike Dishop wants to be certain the amp is properly integrated into your system and you are totally satisfied. My intention in repeating this is, to place emphasis on this fact!!
The Prometheus has exceeded my expectations of a solid state legal limit amp. It accomplishes legal limit SSB with seemingly no effort. AM mode can be taxing on many amplifiers but the Prometheus is quite linear running legal limit AM. I do not use any tuners at all in my operation and the Prometheus will easily operate at full power into any low VSWR antenna load. I could go on and on passing kudos about the quality and workmanship of the Prometheus DX2400L. I think you get my point!

VE7ON Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Prometheus is a great amp. I got a taste of solid state, no tune, no warm up with a Yaesu Quadra and could never go back to "old fashion" tubes. Before the Quadra I had an Alpha but at $2000. to re tube I was scared to turn it on, and then there was the dreaded 3 minute warm up where you helplessly listen to the DX station ask for last call. The Quadra was ok but has low duty cycle and only produces half power. The Prometheus suffers from none of these problems. No warm up, 100% duty cycle and full power.This, for me, the only way to go.

There was a problem when I first got the amp and it would occasionally quit and give an overdrive fault. Mike Dishop was excellent helping find the problem, a simple adjustment that was no doubt caused from the long truck ride to Canada.

Using the Prometheus has made radio fun again.

W0YWW Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 15:33 Send this review to a friend
The best amp ever built  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine what the quality and performance of an amplifier could be if you were a design engineer and you designed an amp for your personal use and chose the very best quality components. Thatís exactly what Mike Dishop, the owner of Dishtronix, accomplished when he designed his Prometheus amplifier. Its guts are awesome to view. As an electronics engineering manager, the first thing I did when I unboxed the amp, was to take off the covers to look over its design and manufacturing quality Ė it sure brought a smile to my face. And, Iím thankful to a Collins engineering director friend who steered me to the Prometheus. This amp is not Mikeís primary business product, rather itís a labor of love and he supports it accordingly.

I own S/N 16 with the linear power supply (if youíre attending the Dayton Hamvention this year, take a look at the power transformer and inductor Ė they weigh a ton and have to be shipped in two separate boxes). Iíve used this amp for over 3 years, and in the process, fell in love with it. I really canít put into words the feeling of brute force power this amp provides. I would typically spend awhile in huge CW pile ups with my other amplifier, methodically following the DX stationís operating pattern, and at the point of frustration, switch to the Prometheus and make the contact in one or two calls. That pattern happened so many times, that I switched to using the Prometheus full time, instead of saving it only the big ones. It really makes a difference using an amp that puts out full power with overhead at rated SWR.

As a DXer for over 56 years, Iíve owned a lot of amps and nothing comes close to the performance of the Prometheus.

I like that it can be power-on by the transceiver, and that its control board circuitry is optically isolated from the transceiver, and can be optionally powered by the transceiver to provide additional isolation. Itís easy to update its firmware, as Mike continues to make improvements and add features.

Owning this amp has really made me appreciate its worth compared to competing amps which have so many reliability problems and contain so many design compromises. With all the amps that recently have been introduced, you shake your head, when you look inside and see the cheap components and design compromises, knowing whatís under the hood of the Prometheus.

73, Dewey, WōYWW

N8BJQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
In late 2009, I was asked by CQ to write a review of the DX2400L. My qualifications were that I was an active contester and DXer and more importantly, I lived about 30 miles from Dishtronix. At that time I was doing extensive travelling for work so it was not until spring of 2010 that I actually got to use the amplifier. This was my first experience with a legal limit solid state amplifier. My previous amps all had tubes and were in the 1000 watt range. The amp was delivered in 2 very large and heavy pelican cases and I was told to set it up. The review version was with the linear supply which required some assembly. The setup was very straightforward and the only issue was lifting the 120lb power supply into position.
My first impression was how impressive the workmanship was. I had never seen anything as solid and well made as this amp. My instructions from Mike were to give it a work out and see if I could break it. I tried my best but did not succeed in breaking it (the protection is really fast). After a couple of months of heavy use on CW, SSB and RTTY, I did my review and sadly had to send the amp back.

In the spring of 2011 I decided to take the plunge and buy one. I'm certainly glad that I did. My amp has the switching power supply (works great and is much easier on the back) and the SO2R board installed. Mike provided excellent support during the time it took to get both radios and the antenna switching interfaced. Once we got the wiring right, I was off and running. Since then I've made close to 60,000 Q's, most at or near legal limit with no failures. Mike did make several changes to the firmware to accommodate my operating. Running legal limit RTTY generates lots of heat. Mike added what he calls WAR MODE to the configuration menu. This keeps the fans pretty much running at high speeds when selected and protects the finals. This feature can be turned off for normal operating. Firmware updates are easy to do if new features are added. The file is easily emailed and installation only takes about 5 minutes. The new firmware also adds a temperature monitor capability to the display.

I don't believe you can find any amplifier that matches the workmanship of the DX2400L and the product support from Mike is simply outstanding. We have spent many hours on the phone, mostly working on interface issues and discussing additional features that I would like. So far this amp has survived everything I've done to it!!

I highly recommend the Prometheus if you are looking for a rugged amplifier that will last forever and is a snap to operate.

NN4X Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2013 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Astonishingly Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A thirty-five pound copper heatsink. In my mind, if there is a single measurement which can be used to describe what this incredible piece of equipment is about, it is that one. Take a moment, and consider that concept: THIRTY FIVE POUNDS of copper! As I write this, copper costs about $3.30 per pound, so that's about $115 worth of metal, and does not count any of the considerable engineering and machining costs. Just for the PA heatsink! By comparison, an ENTIRE Expert 2K-FA weighs 55 pounds.

Imagine an amplifier where not only the heatsink was taken to an extreme, but every other design aspect was, also.

Actually, you don't have to imagine it; you need only look at the Dishtronix Prometheus DX2400.

In early 2012, I had been strongly considering upgrading from an Alpha 87A to a solid state amplifier, but was seriously put off by the compromises I saw. I was not interested, for example, in owning something that was run within a hair's width of the component's max ratings, or something that would run legal limit for five minutes before its protection circuits throttled it back to greatly reduced levels.

During the summer of 2012, a barely-used Prometheus with the switching power supply became available. After more than a little hesitation - even being used, it was expensive - it became mine.

Mike Dishop, owner/engineer of Dishtronix, agreed to honor the new warranty, and provide me with full, new-owner support, which included on-the-phone consultation for configuration and check out.

Upon receiving the amp, I opened it up for inspection, and was simply dumbstruck by its beauty. The boards were exceedingly well laid out. The wiring was perfect. Everywhere I looked, it was sparkling and neat, and over the top. It's the same feeling I got when I first peeked inside a piece of Collins gear, or an Alpha 77DX. Ever see those pictures in old QSTs of Hams sitting next their Collins Gold Dust Twins, or S-Lines? Remember the pride on their faces? That! That's the feeling you get when you have a DX2400 in your shack.

After buttoning it back up, and fabricating the cabling to connect it to my transceiver, I ran through the initial check outs. Unfortunately, I ran head-first into some issues. The amp made plenty of power on the lower bands, but would trip offline on 15M or 20M (it varied, depending on unknown factors). Mike's support was immediate; we swapped several e-mails, and then spent several hours on a Sunday night (!!) on the phone performing testing and diagnosis. Mike thought it might be an issue with the tank circuit. He agreed to let me take the amp over to my good friend Bill, N4ATS, for further analysis.

Bill found a couple of unusual things in the LPF section for 20M, but also found a some unsoldered components, and a few cold-solder joints. Mike was deeply embarrassed, and gave Bill the go-ahead to repair them. We moved forward. Sadly, these repairs did not resolve the original issue.

More experimentation and phone calls ensued, with no solution. Mike agreed that the amp needed to go back for a thorough check out. After a complete inspection like only the designer can do, Mike adjusted one of the LPF filters, updated the firmware, and performed an extended burn-in. All was well again.

While the RF deck and switching power supply was back at Distronix, I mentioned to Mike that I'd really prefer the linear power supply. Abandoning any traditional rational business sense, he agreed to salvage whatever parts he could from the switcher, and use them to help defray the cost of building me an LPS4800 linear power supply. There is no doubt in my mind that what he charged me for this work did not cover his costs, but he wanted me to be ecstatic about this amp. That passion for excellence is every bit as much a part of the Prometheus as the physical hardware. (yes, I write that, even having just described several problems)

Upon return, the Prometheus checked out perfectly, and I installed it in its permanent location. When the power supply weighs 120 pounds, you don't want to move it too many times.

So, how does it work? In one word: Effortlessly. Dial in somewhere between 60 and 75 watts (depending on the band) drive, and it puts out 1,500 watts, forever. No de-rating, no complaining, no asterisks, no worries. Ever. When idle or in normal use, it is extraordinarily quiet. As the temps go up, the fans kick in harder and longer. If you want to be extra conservative during heavy use, you can switch it into "War Mode", which sets the fans continuously at their max levels.

I cannot fully describe how impressed I am with this piece of equipment, and with Mike Dishop. It is everything I ever wanted in an HF amplifier. Over my Amateur Radio career, I've noted that at my, and most others' stations, transceivers came and went, but the amplifiers, which are less susceptible to being obsoleted by rapidly changing technology, tended to stay. Given its superb construction and control/protection circuitry, I fully expect that my Prometheus DX2400 will be the last HF amplifier I ever own, and considering it in that way makes it a not unreasonable investment.

To know that it was conceived and designed from the mind of a single person, and then built by that same person, makes it almost a privilege to own it.

W1WN Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2012 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed for 42 years and have spent my ham career primarily chasing DX.

Like many, I have owned a wide variety of equipment and for an HF Transceiver, after operating most, I have settled on the Icom IC-7800.

My search for the perfect amplifier, has led me to own and operate many of the "high end" products on the market. Those have included the Yaesu Quadras (2) (and the smaller FL-7000), Icom PW-1s (2), Icom IC-4KL and Alpha 9500.

While these products all worked well, I was never satisfied. The solid state amps were not rated for legal limit and if you tried to operate at that level, the build quality was suspect and could lead to failure. The PW-1 in particular was disappointing in terms of power out. Even worse, Icom does not manufacture the power supply, so if it fails it is time to purchase another amp. The Quadras work well but I did not find them well manufactured and the cosmetics are becoming dated. The Alpha 9500 is a good amp (although some have experienced problems that I never had) but it is noisy and those three (3) minutes waiting for it to come on line did not fit with my style of operating.

My search finally led me to the Prometheus. I researched the amplifier thoroughly for almost a year before committing to purchase. My research confirmed that this product and its designer/owner are simply the best available currently (and perhaps ever) for an hf, legal limit+, solid state, no tune amplifier. The build quality is second to none. Everything is oversized, overdesigned, overprotected and first rate. The components are the best available. The power transistors are patented (along with several other patents in this beast). Whatever is not available to the designer is manufactured by the company. The transformer in the linear power supply weighs 70lbs and the choke is 30lbs+. The "package" arrives strapped to a pallet weighing 280lbs. Even the boxes and packaging are overdesigned.

Operating the amplifier is a pleasure, but not so fast. Before you fire this beauty up, the owner of the company calls you on the telephone and personally assists you in setting the menus and having the amp operate as you wish. I wanted mine to power up with the amp and be ready to put fire in the wire. No problem. I wanted it to auto change bands with the rig. No problem. All the necessary cables are supplied for your rig.

Once on line the amp loafs at legal limit with 50 watts or less of drive depending on the band. If you drive it with too much power or forget change bands, as I have done, no problem. Those protections and many more are there for you.

This is a commercial piece of equipment. I am honored that Mike Bishop and Dishtronix has offered it to me and the ham community. It is the last amplifier you will ever have to buy and as I told Mike, I was looking for and have found my forever amp.

While I have gone on and on regarding this fine product, I think the title of this review says it all: Simply the best!

Dave, W1WN

K7OWZ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Flawless Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few weeks ago I received my new Dishtronix Prometheus solid state Amplifier, and I could not be more pleased. The Amplifier does everything that was promised and then some. Solid 1500 watts key down on all bands 10 through 160 meters, and does not even break a sweat. I get reports like, ďI canít believe how clean your signal isĒ and ďThatís the best sounding solid state Amp I have ever heardĒ. One particular report I had from a gentleman in Denver when going head to head with a newer alpha amplifier,
ďYour signal is clean as a whistle and the Alpha is splattering a little.Ē
I think the secret behind this Amplifier is its uncompromising design and build workmanship. Mike Dishop the designer and owner of the Dishtronix has spared NO expense in the design and building of this Amp. The circuit protection both software and hardware are the best I have ever seen, and rival some of the best names in the business such as Harris, and Collins. I know ten grand is a lot to spend for an amplifier, but you truly get what you pay for in this baby. I have owned an Ameritron ALS 600, a Yaesu Quadra and many tube amplifiers such as Henry, Collins, Ten-tec , and BTI, and the Prometheus is absolutely the best I have ever used. The headroom build into this amp is unmatched by anything on the market today.
Mike Dishop, the owner of the company, has been great and he takes great pride in talking you through all the features of the equipment after you get it installed. How often do you get that kind of treatment from a vendor of equipment?
Do you remember when really good things where built in America? Well they still are in Ohio at Dishtronix.
The Dishtronix Prometheus is built like a Duesenberg, one of the most beautiful and well made cars ever produced in the good old USA. One day it may be a collectible too.