Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Dollar store headset microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Dollar store headset microphone
Dollar store headset microphone Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$2.50
Description: A low cost, really low cost alternative to the brand name headset microphones on the market.

You can write your own review of the Dollar store headset microphone.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Don't laugh until you try 'em  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before you laugh, I suggest you give these a try. I purchased the headset from my local dollar store for $2.50 (they really need to change the name!). Originally I tried powering the electret element form the mic jack on the TS850. This resulted in small amounts of RF getting into the transmitted audio. It got worse on the higher bands. The solution was to power it from a separate source so I dug out an old 9V wal-wart, and put in some extra filtering caps on the DC lines. I use a .22uf to isolate the DC voltage from the mic audio and a 47K resistor to step this voltage down for the element. A 560 ohm resistor across the audio line going to the rig cleans the audio up nicely. Switching this resistor out has the same effect as kicking in the processor. I worked many stations on 10m during the recent 10-10 contest and got unsolicited reports of great audio. While it isn't a Heil, it sounds pretty decent considering it only cost less than $3.00. It was also fun experimenting to get just the sound I was looking for.