Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Omni V Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni V
Ten-Tec Omni V Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2245.00
Description: 160-10M ham bands (9) transceiver. 26 Memories, & dual VFOs
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni V.

K2MFY Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Many Years of Excellent Performance; Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Omni V new in 1990. Other than replacing the battery for the clock/date, the rig given me tens of thousands of hours of excellent performance and has not required any service until last month.
While working DX on CW the transceiver died. Could not figure anything obvious. Called Ten-Tec service and got a ham technician who suggested a few simple checks (including their external Omni Power Supply). This didn't work so I shipped just the Omni V back down to them. Since I can't be without a rig I was lucky to borrow another Omni V from a friend! When I hooked it up found out my problem was with my Omni Power Supply. As I was shipping down my power supply, Ten-Tec told me that the rig was OK; however they cleaned and adjusted all controls, aligned things and checked rig out completely.
A week later got my Omni Power Supply back (they replaced a number of transistors, etc.) Everything is working great again!
Excellent customer service and fair repair costs. It's great when you can call a factory technician (in the US) who can clearly talk with you and help you out. Also good to know that they service their products (even 23 year old rigs) at fair prices with quick turn-around (a few days). Looking to buy their Omni VII one day so I can always have a Ten-Tec in the family!

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2012 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Super CW Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Omni V along with other Ten Tec rigs for quite some time.I did the upgrade to the V9.2 chip mostly to get the tone for zero beating. This Rig has performed nearly flawlessly for me.Now as it has been said by others no bells or whistles but one sweet CW machine. You can spend a lot more and not get that much more in performance especially for general rag chewing.wb4edb

KI6NQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 18:40 Send this review to a friend
My best alt. rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice quiet, pleasing audio. Very nice processor and no fuss transmitter. After about 10-15 minutes the VFO is very stable. If I get tired of turning knobs I always go to the T^T. Not much to the menu's and the dual VFO's are easy to program.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic receiver performance.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Omni V new in 1990. Other than replacing the battery for the clock/date, the rig has not required any service. It has a large, easy-to-read fluorescent display for my aging eyes. Being a ham band only transceiver, I also use a Ten Tec RX-340 general coverage receiver for shortwave, utility and NDB DXing. From my experience, the Omni V has a slight edge on the RX-340 for overall receiver sensitivity in the ham bands.

This rig, when placed along side other similarly styled Ten Tec equipment, will make an impressive lineup on any desk.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 22:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic receiver performance.  Time owned: more than 12 months

This rig, when placed along side other similar styled Ten Tec equipment, will make an impressive lineup on any desk.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2010 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank. Effective.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Final update 12/31/10: Radio is returned from factory and needed only a complete alignment (the 30 and 40 meters had aged out of alignment). My frequency counter says I'm within 4 Hz on each band. It's now working as great as the day I bought it new in 1992. Using a SignaLink USB I'm running digital, making a bunch of contacts mostly with JT65 & PSK. I am awed by the quality of this radio. Recent review follows:

Well I've had a hard earned week off. Goofing around with the radios a lot. It's been a while since I'd been down on CW so I take the brand new rig (5 months old) and start digging around on the CW portion of the band, where it's not really spent any time and notice that it really lacks something. I listen on my 703+ and it actually does a little better "hearing" CW in A/B testing. Hmmmm....lets get out the ole OMNI V and see how thats doing.

I tune to 20 CW and signals jump out of the air. Clear signals. Unaffected by nearby stations. Stuff down in the dirt is easily copyable. I compare this to the new rig and there is no comparison. Theres a certain clarity listening to CW on the V that can only be appreciated when you hear it. So I go to 40 meters, recently made useless by continuous S8-9 noise (likely power line stuff). The new rig with DSP and a zillion filters can't hear anything. Nada. Zip. The OMNI, with the use of the PBT, fade/BP control and filters actually does BETTER! I discover that one can run PSK with the OMNI V. Hmmm again. I read the manual. It says if you want to run 100% duty cycle at full power then it can survive 20 minutes but keeping it at 10 minutes on, 10 off is recommended. These are nuclear proof finals here!

My OMNI V was benched because it needed some service and over time it just sat on the shelf, ignored, collecting dust. Last time I used it very much at all was probably 2003 and 7 years later it just turns on and works very very well. No DSP. No menus. No coffee maker or band scopes or arm rests.... And yes, a few warts. But for digging out weak CW in the wee hours of the morning its a definite keeper. So today I sent it off to Ten Tec's legendary service dept for a 100,000 mile oil change and some repairs. Then back to the main operating bench to be THE rig. Best money I have ever spent on a radio. What follows is my original review of January 2001...

I second what the other op's have said. This has the hottest receiver that I've ever listened to. And with additional filters, you can suck signals out of the ether with the best of them.
I run 99% CW: this is a CW mans rig. But the SSB on this rig is excellent. Very good.
Even used, this is an excellent rig. Only had mine in the factory shop once (it had been a demo and got dusted up). They brought it up to factory specs, replaced some knobs, recal'd etc. About $80! Wow!!! R

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
One of a kind....  Time owned: more than 12 months

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2010 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Great rig and American made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig for 4 years now and works as good if not better than my icom ic-765. The receiver is as quiet as any of these new dsp rigs. I'm all through with the Japinese rigs. I got my eye on the new Eagle. I'll wait till Arrl tests it out and w8ji tests it. I'm also interested in the orions. Ten Tec gives the best service on all their rigs they have made. Can't say that about the rest of the Japenese companies! I also have the Ten Tec 6&2 meter rig which also has a very quiet receiver. And best of all it's American made!
73's
John

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2010 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Easy Maintenance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
all of the connector on this radio are marked with numbers, as well as matching numbers on PC board. so when you unplug the connector, it is easy to plug back in.
all of the sub units PCB are removable.
circuit is all easy to understand, does not require special jig to tune up.
bigger through hole mount parts, and spaced out layout in large case with plenty of room.

manual on TEN TEC web site include, schematic, PCB layout, tune up procedure. and they claim they still sell repair parts for this radio.

I gave 5 for reason above.
I got this radio, because I enjoy working on the radio, only do CW in HF.

for those who want to do digital such as PSK31, the frequency stability is probably not good enough for that use.

for SSB voice, todays DSP IF radio might remove noise and QRM, beat sound better.

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best CW rig for my use. Works well on FM and sideband too. I will keep this rig forever.