Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | NN4ZZ TiltPlate Help

Reviews Summary for NN4ZZ TiltPlate
NN4ZZ TiltPlate Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $750
Description: Antenna maintenance from the ground. Tired of climbing ladders to work on your Yagi antenna? The typical HF Yagi has a boom and element lengths of about 30 feet. Even with a tilt-over tower, itís impossible to tilt the antenna all the way to the ground. To access all points of your antenna, scaffolding or a 16 foot ladder is needed. The TiltPlate is an antenna tilting mechanism that works with a tilt-over tower to bring the antenna all the way down to ground level. No cables or locks are needed: gravity does all of the work.
More info: http://www.nn4zz.com

You can write your own review of the NN4ZZ TiltPlate.

KE4U Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2014 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Design and material engineering excellence.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As summarized, the design and materials engineering is excellent. The customer service was super with very fast shipping. Installation on my tilt-over TX-455 tower was very straightforward, replacing the stock SteppIR boom to mast plate with the TiltPlate. Alignment was simple with the tower mast set parallel and the antenna elements set to perpendicular. Raising the tower, the 3 element yagi was level. Handled a 30 mph microburst easily. I recommend the TiltPlate and I should have budgeted this component years ago for my station.

WF4W Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product--Highly Recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first got my tilt-over tower up, I planned on putting my PRO67-C (big antenna--24' boom, 135 pounds) up and tilting the tower down with the antenna about 12' off the ground. I'm really glad I did not do this.
I purchased a Tilt-Plate from Al and it was a great decision.
I've known Al for several years and I got plate from him and mounted it myself. I mounted the boom for the PRO67-C to the Tilt-Plate and added the elements while standing on the ground....awesome!
The PRO67-C uses phasing tubes between the 2 driven elements and Al was helpful in providing information from Mosley about modifying the tubes and moving the elements slightly to work with the Tilt-Plate.
Al personally came out twice to make measurments for another ham with a PRO67-C and a Tilt-Plate.

The plate itself is a simple but fascinating design that works very well. It is also extremely rugged and very well built.

Al has an excellent product and if you have a tilt-over tower it is a must.

I have had to modify the PRO67-C to correct an SWR problem on one of the WARC bands and the Tilt-Plate makes working on the antenna, on the ground and near horizontal a breeze. I've had the tower down about 5 times so far to either work on an antenna, add or remove one and without the Tilt-Plate, each time would have been much more of a chore. Thanks, Al for this great procduct.
Tad, WF4W

W4CM Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2013 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking at buying a new Tilt Plate from a ham that had never installed one he had purchased. I wrote Al and asked a few questions. He was very quick to respond. I then asked him to verify the unit that was described to me and if he could provide any purchase date. He did. After I received the plate I had additional questions because I had an old 7 element tri-bander TET antenna purchased in the 80's and was concerned about the mounting method. The antenna has three full size driven elements and 2 rods to connect them. He was quick to research and email me back with pictures, references and explanations on how to mount the antenna.

I cannot wait to get the new tower up and the plate mounted. If I have questions I know Al will be there to support his product.

He could not have been of any better help if I had bought the unit new from him direct.

Thats what I call customer service.

K8DH Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this several years ago and have it installed on a 60 ft. Heights aluminum crank-up tilt-over tower. The tilt-plate makes laying the tower over a piece of cake. It eliminates the step where I used to have to climb to the top of a 16' ladder, reach way up, loosen the boom of the SteppIr, and tilt it in its U-bolts. Now, I just grab the tips of the antenna elements and guide it into being horizontal. I bought the tilt-plate before the catch mechanism was invented, so the wind sometimes makes the beam tilt from horizontal, but it doesn't hurt a thing. These oscillations are very gentle, and haven't caused any problems over several years of use.

K4AAV Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a new US tower TX-455 and M2 7-10-30 LP8 and decided to get the tilt plate with Kar-Lock. What a joy this this! Install of the complete tower and antenna only by myself! The tilt plate is the best bang for your buck on the market today! Assembly of the antenna, cranking it up and down was a divine pleasure. Some may view the tilt plate as expensive, get one and you will see it is worth every penny. Thanks Al for a great product!

Will, K4AAV

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a great invention for tilt over towers. My US tower was configured with the large tilt plate and a Steppir Dream Beam 36. This is more antenna then anyone should try to lift. The tilt plate allowed all of the adjustments and assembly to be done at ground level. When the coax and cabling were installed, the tower was raised and the antenna remained level throughout. All too easy an installation.
The only issues were not getting the lateral support bridle install correctly which too just a few minutes to correct AND not purchasing the KarLock device. With the winds in our area the antenna could be tilted off level. Once I installed this product (another great idea by Al) the system was phenomenal. One other note is that Al is extremely easy to contact and provides support beyond what anyone should expect.

WK1W Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Invention Thx Al  Time owned: months
With Al's tiltplate, as I lower the US Tower from its nested vertical position to horizontal, my big YAGI (Force 12 5BA) stays almost perfectly horizontal. In fact to assemble the YAGI I firdt mounted the tilt plate on the mast. Then the boom onto the tilt. THen I attached the elements to the boom while standing on the grass. Connected coax, dressed it out, and raised it all. In business with ease and no climbing (wife ius happy).
I bought the stackable model so I can have mast above.

Just ordered a second one for my F12 D240 which will mount above. Happy camper. Thanks Al.
Ivan
KB1STH

K8RA Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Nobel Prize   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great product. I can fold my tower and stand on the ground and work on my Steppir. No climbing and works as advertised. I also have the Karlock and recommend it. Antenna can do some weird flopping without the Karlock. I think Al should be given a nobel prize for genius.

KM1C Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
After 1 year and hurricane Irene, still FANTASTIC!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I spotted a pop-up ad for the NN4ZZ TiltPlate about two years ago, I realized there was now a product that would allow me to once again have a tower and beams. (After years of multiple tower installations and takedowns, I knew I was done with climbing towers.) I commenced with installing a used, but solid, HDX555 tower and 24' chrome molly mast. The mast now has 3 OptiBeams on it, the OB40-30 at the bottom, an OB9-5 in the middle, and an OB5-6 at the top. One tower, one mast, 3 beams, 2 stackable NN4ZZ TiltPlates. A system offering gain on all bands from 40 through 6 meters. The TiltPlates are utilized on the two larger beams, no TiltPlate is required for the 6 meter beam due to its small size. As a result of the TiltPlates, I was able to build the beams directly on the mast while at ground level, working right at chest height. (I rested the tower on a boating jack stand and supported the mast with another boating jack stand. This provided safety and stability while working with the beams.) When the beam building was done, the tower was cranked to the vertical and then raised to normal height. The TiltPlates worked exactly as advertised and are mechanically extremely strong. I could not be happier with this product. The TiltPlates have now been in use for just over a year and experienced the full force of Hurricane Irene. Absolutely no damage was done to the tower, the beams, or to the TiltPlates. I did have a minor hiccup with an LMR600 connector going to the OB9-5 balun during the 2011 10 meter contest. Trouble-shooting was a breeze in that it took only about 20 minutes to get the tower down and over and start tracking down the problem. It felt great not to have to put on a climbing belt and do connector work at altitude. Once again, all the work was done at ground level. I do have a KARLock for the OB40-30 and it works very well. I am not able to use a KARLock on the OB9-5 as the feed-tube system on the beam physically blocks the installation if this device. However, when large wind gusts arrive from the right direction, the OB9-5 lifts gracefully on the moveable TiltPlate and returns in the same manner as the gust subsides, with no damage or noise occurring. In summary, the NN4ZZ TiltPlates have been the best investment I have made in ham radio gear in years. They may appear to be expensive, but in reality they are not: Physically robust, well-engineered, designed to last for decades, they provide a margin of safety and convenience that can not be beat. To top it off, Al, NN4ZZ, will also help you through any and all installation issues or questions via email or phone. His product is a definite labor of love. I visited Al at his home QTH in GA last year while out on a County Hunting trip. The cleanliness and organization of his shop and TiltPlate parts bins made it look like he had gone through an ISO Standards inspection. One could argue that he should be building commercial airliners there, rather than TiltPlates, hi. Save your life, quit climbing towers, buy one or more TiltPlates and put up some beam antennas. You won't regret it. 73 de Bill KM1C Oriental, NC, USA.

K3BZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
After 3-1/2 years, still ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked the idea of what Al NN4ZZ's Tiltplate would do for me just from his description, so I took a chance, receiving S/N 001 in 2008. I'm still glad. My earlier review (just after it arrived) was based on the overall good impression the TiltPlate construction gave me... very heavy-duty, well-designed, well-made, the best materials and components. It's now been on my 60-ft tilt-over tower for 3-1/2 years supporting a 4-element SteppIR yagi and it has been tilted over 5 or 6 times for various antenna adjustments and maintenance tasks. The TiltPlate itself has never required any attention at all. I also have the optional KARLock mechanism that locks the TiltPlate in place during high winds, and that too has operated flawlessly the entire 3-1/2 years with no adjustments or attention. Nothing's perfect, I suppose, but this set-up comes as close as anything I've ever seen. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. The TiltPlate and KARLock continue to bring my antennas down to where I can work safely, with both feet firmly on the ground. I'm not a youngster anymore, and climbing is out of the question. These products give me... and my XYL... a good deal of peace of mind, which is PRICELESS!!