Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | NN4ZZ TiltPlate Help

Reviews Summary for NN4ZZ TiltPlate
NN4ZZ TiltPlate Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $750
Description: Antenna maintenance from the ground. Tired of climbing ladders to work on your Yagi antenna? The typical HF Yagi has a boom and element lengths of about 30 feet. Even with a tilt-over tower, itís impossible to tilt the antenna all the way to the ground. To access all points of your antenna, scaffolding or a 16 foot ladder is needed. The TiltPlate is an antenna tilting mechanism that works with a tilt-over tower to bring the antenna all the way down to ground level. No cables or locks are needed: gravity does all of the work.
More info: http://www.nn4zz.com

You can write your own review of the NN4ZZ TiltPlate.

WX4F Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!! Must Have!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't add much to the other reviews, but just to confirm this is a GREAT product with GREAT customer service!! I am using on a Heights tilt-over aluminum tower with a SteppIR 3 element yagi. Allows me to take the tower all the way over fully horizontal with no step ladders!! I can stand ON THE GROUND and do all antenna work on the yagi!! It's a DREAM come true. I fell 5 feet from a step ladder in 2008 and shattered my ankle in about 12 pieces; no more step ladders for me!! HI HI. It's really a great product.

W6LQP Rating: 3/5 Feb 12, 2011 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Caution required...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the onset - it appeared to be able to solve our difficult antenna placement problem - sloping and rough hillside location, large antenna and heavy telescoping tower...all prescriptions for potential problems using conventional erection procedures...so we decided to bypass those issues with the TiltPlate.
Al was very helpful but whoever drilled out the fine quality stainless plates did not account for the fact that a 2 inch antenna boom is indeed two inches in diameter and not 1.9 inches and the company had to redo the plate...something that occurs from time to time when you job out items like this to a machine shop not under your control. I suggest you request a sample of the clamps that will hold your boom in place before you purchase the system. Also, with 4 people holding the antenna in place , two long levels and a square, the system still did not go up level with the base or perpendicular to the tower - it missed by 10-15 degrees and it will all have to come down again and be redone. Better antenna positioning instructions - besides the interesting video - would be helpful. The Karlock anti-sway locking device is expensive but if you live in an area with high winds it is a necessity.

W8TRN Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Save Your Back/Arms & Trip to the ER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Forget about climbing, 12 and 33 foot ladders, or whatever you do to get to the beam. Although pricey, consider what a trip to the emergecy room, ambulance ride, mangled limbs, etc will take from you wallet and bank account. Working on your antenna is a breeze with this device. Only criticism the plate is not drilled to accept the simple SteppIR boom leveling bolt. If you are not familiar with this, download SteppIr's assembly manual. Their boom leveling system is simple, quick and idiot proof. As supplied, this plate makes leveling the boom/elements a bit tedious.

AA4V Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2010 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Dream accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an NN4ZZ tiltplate and KARlock recently for my SteppIR 3 el yagi mounted on a UST MA550MDP motorized tiltover tower. Both units arrived within days of ordering in well-constructed heavy duty cartons. Installation was very intuitive and took about 2 hours. It worked perfectly. No more Lift trucks or step ladders for me again. Congratulations to NN4ZZ for a superior product.

KG6LQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2008 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a telescopic, foldover tower (MA850) so I wouldn't have to climb a tower to work on it. However, it didn't resolve the issue of the 4 ele SteppIR, which has 18' hollow fiberglass poles on either side of the boom. That meant I would need a large ladder to work on both the tower and the antenna. Not a desireable situation. I was pointed to NN4ZZ's website by my buddy Pete (N4KW) and found the solution; I immediately bought serial #16 (Pete bought #17). The TiltPlate uses extreme engineering, with high quality components and precise NC machine manufacture. Lubrication of the bearing is accomplished with lube nipples. It's a true work of art and a beauty to behold. Functionally it's basically a stout, high quality hinge that uses gravity to smoothly maintain a near horizontal attitude as the tower is erected from horizontal to vertical. Installation was a breeze, working at waist level. No need for another pair of hands to hold anything. Establishing the correct boom angle to ensure a level antenna position when the tower is erect was accomplished by ensuring the tower was level to ground and then rotating the boom until the SteppIR motor drive housing was exactly vertical to the tower. I was pleased that it worked the first time up, since I have to hand crank the tower from ground. I've yet to test it in high winds, but I'm sure the TiltPlate will easily survive any reasonable test. The TiltPlate will be around long after I'm gone! Pictures available at http://www.freewebs.com/delmo2/ (click on BOOM PLATE CHANGE). Many thanks to Al for a great design and solution to many issues!
Del
KG6LQ

KF7GC Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2008 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Al was right on with this Idea. I bought one early from him with serial number 010. It was packed and shipped very well. I installed the tilplate on a 6 foot extended mast on a TX-455 Tower. I then stood on the ground and installed a Steppir 4 EL/40-30. It went on very easy. I used the angle of the tilt in the tower from the ground to give me my angle for boom offset. I then installed the motors at right angles to the tower tilt and when it was up, it was perfect. If you don't want to climb towers any more and have a tilt over tower, you need this very much. The antenna has with-stood 47 mph winds so far and is working just fine. Thanks Al for a great Idea and outstanding product. Pics available kf7gc@arrl.net

I1ODP Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 21:48 Send this review to a friend
A brilliant idea so I homebrewed one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is more and more difficult to find friends that can help you to do the regular maintenance of your antenna. Al,NN4ZZ was very kind helping me to build my own Tilt-Plate. So mounting alone my 3 el Steppir at my summer QTH was a piece of cake having the elements parallel to ground, sitting on a chair and sipping my cup of tea!!!
For larger antennas I suggest to use a direct rotor mount "slipp-not" version and a suitable heavy duty rotor like Yaesu G-2800DXA.
My Create collapsed on 4 el + 30/40 trombone at my home QTH.
THANKS AL.
Paul, i1odp

W8UDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Unit 007  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I remember the very first ham radio purchase I ever made; a brand new Hallicrafters S38-C receiver. I was filled with wonder every time I put on a headset, turned it on, and watched the tubes glow. I just received Tilt Plate 007 from UPS. Upon inspection of this wondrous assembly, I felt a recurrence of that same awe and wonder. Well, yes, there was a tire tread mark on the shipping carton, where someone had driven over the box. Probably with a fork lift. No problem. Al did a super job in wrapping this monster device with bubble wrap. It will be a while until it hits the top of my new tower. However, as previous reviewers have stated, the obvious fit and finish are far beyond my expectations. In addition, it looks to be very capable of handling the load I intend to put on it. I am an engineer and I love to see devices that are over-engineered. I will have no trepidation about installing the tower and four element SteppIr right up and close to the house. Well done Al. Many thanks for removing some huge roadblocks for this old guys climbing abilities.

K3BZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
This is one heavy-duty piece of equipment!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received standard TiltPlate Serial No. 001 and I'm very impressed with the heft and solid strength of the item. It appears that Al NN4ZZ has done a fine job of design and engineering, as well as construction. All the components appear to be first-class, top-quality. If Al has made any compromises, I sure can't see them. I won't be putting the TiltPlate in service until May, and I'll report further then, but from the look of the TiltPlate, I don't anticipate any problems.

K6KAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2008 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TiltPlate (serial #4) was just delivered. My first impression is WOW! The fit and finish far exceed my expectations. This is a work of art! As soon as the WX clears, I will tilt the HDX-472MDL and for the last time, climb on a ladder to remove one side of the SteppIR 4EL. From that moment on, it will be easy to do tower and antenna work. Al, NN4ZZ, you not only created a fine piece of craftsmanship, you've made a major contribution to amateur radio. The safety factor of having a TiltPlate installed is worth the price alone. Many thanks.