Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Omni C Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni C
Ten-Tec Omni C Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1289 (when new)
Description: HF radio
More info: http://www.qsl.net/tentec/specs/546c.jpg

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni C.

RSHIRE22 Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
The last radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using an Omni C for five years. It is my only radio. After owning a variety of mid priced Japanese radios I always come back to Ten Tec. After being a 99% cw op for several years I am now a 99% JT-65A op. I often look at ebay
auctions and other sites for other used equipment but nothing justifies changing radios especially at the price.

This radio works perfectly: Stable after warmup,
very sensitive, warm audio for monitoring ssb.
On JT-65A I work stations worldwide including
long path to Western Australia (17000 miles) from Florida running 40 watts and an MFJ 2286 vertical.

What else do I need?

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec had it Right  Time owned: more than 12 months
Of all of the older Ten Tecs i really enjoy operating the Omni C the best. No, it is not perfect but it has fine qsk and a great zero beat feature.A rig that can be worked on yourself and is just a joy to operate.Yes I know some will have issues with its agc operation but just turn the rf gain down some. No doubt one can spend a lot more for a rig and probably get more but for bang for the buck the Omni C is a sleeper. Smiley wb4edb

NR7N Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2012 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Beats many rigs of today  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a Omni C (546) and I am extremely pleased with it. It needed a small amount of work such as rebuilding the PTO, resoldering HF oscillator crystal socket pins and replacing broken leads to a few front panel LEDs. I also performed a simple RX alignment. The folks at Ten-Tec were great and Paul even took of the front panel off the Omni C they have back in TN to let me know the LED wire colors. All I can say is wow. No rice box outfit would do that.

This rig is accessible and can be worked on by the ham owner so it harkens back to another time.

Performance is dazzling. I side-by-side compared it with a brand new IC-7410 and The Omni C hears better, has better received audio and better on-the-air signal reports. What more can you ask for. The '7410 is for sale now and the Omni is my main HF radio. Everything on it is functional, it's intuitive, the manual and Ten-tec support is great, and the performance wonderful (especially the receiver).

We haven't made as much progress as we think in the last 30 years.

When I do buy another new radio it will be a Ten-tec. The service/support is the best in the industry.

KB1OF Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Time tested rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a ham for 31 years and have had all kinds of HF tranceivers but have never had one better than the Omni C. The first Omni I bought was the Omni D. A few years later the ham I bought it from was having memory problems and wanted to buy back the Omni D. He was having trouble tuning his TS 430 and could tune the Omni because of its simplicity. I traded with him for the Kenwood but missed the Omni D. Then I had a chance to buy an Omni C with all the filters, mike and speech processor, remote VFO and power supply for $200. The problem was with the VFO in the main rig. I sent it in to Ten Tec who rebuilt the VFO and realigned and tweeked it before they returned it. I sold teh Kenwood and moved into the Omni with ease. Later when the ham with the Omni D became a silent key, I was able to buy it too. I am now the proud operator of both the Omni D and the Omni C. I use both and keep the D set up for CW where I spend 99% of my radio work and the Omni C mostly for SSB. There is no rig with as sensitive a receiver or as quiet as the Old Omnis. From time to time I have chances to operate the new rigs, and am delightfully proud to get back to my Omni D and C. KB1OF - Bud

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2011 15:42 Send this review to a friend
re review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a revision of my original review of the Omni C in which I gave the transceiver a 2/5. The transceiver has amplification in the IF stage which greatly increases noise and listener fatigue. My solution for this problem has been to set the RF gain level to 5 (half scale) and to slightly detune the resonant control. How this affects radio performance such as minimum discernable signal and sensitivity is uncertain nor have I done A/B testing with my other Ten Tecs but the radio has become much more pleasant to use and so earns a 4.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Bliss!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every few years I get away from Ten-Tec and suffer through noisy receivers, obtuse menus, AGCs that don't, clicking relays (in 2010!) and the usual that one gets from current crop of rigs. The joy of CW just leaves the building.

Then I see a good deal somewhere and pick up another Ten-Tec and realize what I've been missing. The "C" is just so quiet, sensitive, and selective with a full filter complement and the audio filters to kick in if needed. The signals on a noisy 80 meter band just pop through with the filters, attenuation, and RF gain controls set properly.

Of course, the QSK just goes without saying.

I know with time, I'll drift back towards Yaesu's seductive orange letters, menus, paramilitary styling, and promises of a ham radio experience superior to what I currently have. I'll buy one, and have a fling for a while. It'll be exciting while it lasts. Eventually the thrill will be gone as always.

But I know in the end, I'll come home to my easy chair, pipe and slippers, and the love of my life - a Ten-Tec of some variety. Perhaps it'll be older, frumpier, more time-worn, and perhaps even a little hard of hearing. But it'll be faithful, loyal, and will bring back the joy I had when I first started out in Amateur Radio.

N7INO Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2009 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec Omni D  Time owned: more than 12 months
The omni D is my base rig I got rid of my 2 late modle Yeasus, NOT USER FRIENDLY. I sent my Omei D And My Triton back to Ten Tec, Both work VERY WELL and user friendly using LDG Turners both base and mobile.I have owned both for over 20 years and sent both back to Ten Tec for alignment and new mics.I enjoy HF again, don't have to check with manual to do a procedure. I give the Ten Tecs a 5 Plus. Jim n7in0

W8IDL Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio - Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
The "Omni C" (actually an Omni D Series C) is a superb radio that performs extremely well. Yes, from the factory, it has a "pop" on the agc in the presence of a very strong signal. So did the Collins KWM-2 (remember service bulletin 8?). The agc pop is easily cured by a simple mod on the Omni as it is on the KWM-2. As for audio hiss, i surely do not hear it on my radio. I do remember another early 1980s radio, the Collins KWM-380, that cost THREE TIMES the price and didn't have QSK. The KWM-380 had so much hiss from synthesizer noise that they had an audio filter board limiting the upper end audio to 2400 Hz. And let's see: the KWM-380 had over twenty service bulletins? In retrospect, the Omni D Series C looks great in comparison with these contemporary radios. I have all three radios, and love all three radios, but the Omni is the radio of choice, especially on CW. I always get GREAT audio reports on SSB. The receiver has a VERY low noise floor. The SSB received audio is pleasant for ragchewing over extended periods. The QSK on CW is second to none. This radio is just plain fun to operate! The most remarkable thing is the Ten-Tec factory that made it will still service this transceiver, though I have never needed it. I rate the Omni D Series C an solid 5 based on my experiences with it over the long term.

KK8WV Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2009 15:21 Send this review to a friend
I Love This Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I started my Ten-Tec adventure with an Omni V, it was a nice radio and only sold it for need of cash. Then found a Kenwood 940 and liked it but I had the Ten-Tec bug. I then found this Omni C in pristine condition with pwr supply spkr, VFO and fell in love. One of the most fun HF rigs I have ever operated. I would love to keep this rig just for the fun and memories it brings.

K0PD Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2008 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Still a Good Radio//  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Would love to be able to give my old Omni C a 5/5 but would have gladly gave it a 4.8 if the option were available. Bought mine used and can only say i'm very happy to have found one used that performed as well as the seller stated.I have newer DSP radios and i'm in total agreement with the previous writer as far as performance goes. Will only ad that i think at least every Ham should have one of these because it does in so many way's stand up to the newer radios....