Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | BetterRF 7000 Screwdriver Control Help

Reviews Summary for BetterRF 7000 Screwdriver Control
BetterRF 7000 Screwdriver Control Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $84.95 + 8.00 shipping
Description: Companion piece for the BetterRF 7000 Tune Control. It allow automatic tuning of a motorized antenna with the tune button on the IC-7000
More info: http://www.qth.com/betterrf/

You can write your own review of the BetterRF 7000 Screwdriver Control.

8877 Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one great product. Well engineered addition to the 7000. Easy installation and operation. Very helpful support. Happy to recommend.

K5HAB Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2011 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure to have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the BetterRF Tune/Screwdriver controls combinations, one in an RV and the other in a van. I have used these for two plus years. The installation was easy with great support from their service manager, K0BG. They are flawless works every time. They stand up to rugged use in search & rescue missions. Great product.

KB2HUK Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2011 16:26 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: months
Had bought the controller two pieces to interface my Tarheel (great antenna) Screwdriver mobile antenna and my Icom 7000 . I found no comfort in the plastic boxes or the flimsy connectors very fragile especially in a mobile environment. after hooking the whole thing up I felt if I went over a bump I might damage the connections . I read the directions over so many times I could of recited them back to you and After several days trying to get the antenna to work with the radio I gave up . This product is a good idea but needs to carried out differently .

WA1GZY Rating: 0/5 Aug 15, 2010 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Not for IC-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The BetterRF 7000 indeed moves the Hi Q 6/160.... randomly! The N2VZ TurboTuner works straight out of the box. Set dipswitch to 500MA and use alternate SWR setting. Tracking is accurate for 80 to 15 meters but misses 160, 12 and 10 meter settings. These bands can be accessed if the antenna is moved with double pole switch however.
It also may be possible to adjust the shunt coil for better/broader band coverage.

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK I purchased this about two years ago through HRO along with the prerequisite tune control and finally got around to replacing a Turbo Tuner this May. I use this with a HiQ 4-160 MC-1 antenna. The Turbo Tuner worked OK but did not always tune properly. It would regularly miss the mark and force the antenna to tune longer then necessary. The Better RF controller, once setup properly works every time with minimal movement of the antenna motor as it remembers which frequency you were on move the motor in the correct direction. It may be worth noting that some reviews are mentioning it not working with a IC-706. Well it is designed for the IC-7000 only! This may seem silly to mention this but some folks seem to be trying this on the 706 and then writing a poor review when it does not work properly. I had one question during installation which was immediately answered correctly by tech support. K0BG provided the support. His website is quite useful and full of information to help you avoid problems. One cannot emphasize enough to take your time and read up on the proper installation of HF mobile antennas. There are many things to consider and to look out for. That being said, my experience for the last three months with Better RF IC-7000 Screwdriver Controller and the HiQ 4-160 MC-1 is simply the best experience I have had to date with my mobile HF operations.

W7WX Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2010 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Controller!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
See my review on the IC-7000/BetterRF. Mine worked great with the Hi-Q and now my Scorpion. Although difficult to get through the instructions as mentioned, once it's understood what is suppose to happen it's cake and fairly simple...or rather was for me.

I listed a few "land mines" that I ran in to on my other review that hopefully others can avoid.

But overall this product has been a joy for me to use. 5/5 in my book!

W2RI Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2010 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Maybe it works, but not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While this product might work for some antennas, it just doesn't get the job done on my Hi-Q 6/160 EX. The problem is that if it can't find what it thinks is a good match, it will often send the plunger all the way down to the bottom, while continuing to key down. Meanwhile, you just have to sit there as it goes off to limbo...

For me, a much better solution is a turns counter with a manual rocker (DPDT) switch, with an antenna analyzer. In fact, a much better - and simpler - product for my use would be a box with (say) 8 buttons, which engages any of 8 configurations by adjusting the plunger setting based on a turn counter.

For some of you, this box may work well. I concede that. But for my use, it just doesn't get the job done. Hence the 2/5 rating.

Incidentally I'm a fan of disclosure, which not everyone in the mobile world is. I have no financial interest in BetterRF products.

W5YDW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 10:49 Send this review to a friend
great Device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to eat a little crow. I completed reworked my mobil installation according to K0bg recommendations and my controller works flawlessly. Although I was a little annoyed by the lecture it was well meaning and well deserved. This is a super companion for the IC7000

W6HIQ Rating: 1/5 Jan 3, 2010 20:07 Send this review to a friend
If it works...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to go back a while to recite my experience with the better rf antenna controller.It was mr. Know it All, k0bg who insisted that I evaluate one in my SUV with the Hi-Q antenna and the Icom 706 MkIIG.
I received the unit on a Wednesday, had difficulty to understand the scampy directions so I called on Thursday mr. Know it All who has spent over 3 hrs on the phone with me to try to make it tune as designed. He gave up! Suggested to call the designer, whom I called the next day, he too has spent an other 3 hrs to try to make it work, (mr. Know it All has forgat to tell me that the other guy was out of the country and some $270.00 worth of phone call later, he also gave up).
Sent it back.
Found one on eBay for $75.00 gave it an other try, it was way to sensetive to RF had to drop power to 10 watts to make it work . The cheap connectors where the most problem, mechanicaly to loose, bump on the road would allow it to loose connection.
Fianlly I ripped it out and went back the the DPDT switch. ( I did stump on it), but did not have the heart to mail it back to them in that condition!
Mr. Kow it All has asked me to ENDORSE it for the Hi-Q antenna users, I DID NOT as it has happened many times before, I get the first call that my antenna does not work, well remove the contraption and see it it works without it!
This yielded a nasty mail from Mr. Know It All, that they are loosing sales do to the fact the Hi-Q DOES NOT endorse it on the Hi-Q website.

Having said all of this, I have heard from Hi-Q antenna users that it works for them.......

Yes, IF IT WORKS............

73, Charlie W6HIQ

W9LP Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile HF Solution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this BetterRF controller with my IC-7000 and Little Tarheel 75. After following all the instructions to the letter, this controller has worked flawlessly for over 9 months.

There are very few auto-tuning antenna configurations that work seamlessly in the mobile... this one does and has been completely reliable.

You can't go wrong with this product.