Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Swan 100MX series Help

Reviews Summary for Swan 100MX series
Swan 100MX series Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $895 US (1978)
Description: 80-10 meter 100 watt SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/k9gdt/radio/cubic/100mx.htm

You can write your own review of the Swan 100MX series.

WA1SEO Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I always liked the simplicity of this radio and finally found a nice clean one. The receiver sounds really clean and I've been getting excellent reports on the TX audio. I've stayed away from trying out a contest until recently because the radio did drift a bit. I built up a huff/puff VFO stabilization circuit and added some mod's to it and all I can say is that it made a world of difference. I run the 100MXA with a Timewave DSP-59+ and have been using it SSB contests. The receiver IS THAT GOOD! I recently sold my Ten Tec ORION II and don't miss it one bit! It's a lot of fun telling people what I am running since most people have either never heard of it or never knew that it is 100% solid state. Do I have any complaints? No.

K5SBR Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 10:11 Send this review to a friend
A workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using a 100MXA since 1980. For 15 of those years, it lived on my 25 foot sailboat and went to C6A and all along the Gulf Coast from Texas. It doesn't mind low supply voltage. Smartest thing I ever did was remove the speaker and put a 250 Hz. bandwidth 455 kHz. passband tuner above the noise blanker; uses the dial light switch for in-out. With the DBM front end, the 100MXA is bullet-proof. It was good for over 100 QSO's in the 2011 10 meter contest in a few hours; weeding out DX between the KW's. Use it every day and would recommend it highly. Simple, servicable, great quality. Now I've got two.

W3BR Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2011 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy old rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this unit and power supply for $50.00 at a club auction. As a new Ham I had my doubts but I was looking to get on the air ASAP. I have worked Croatia, Peru, Ireland and many US stations with good reports. I use an Antron 99 for 10,15 M, a 5/8 dipole for 20 M and a slinky mounted vertically on 2" pvc for 40/80M. I added a tuner and it helped immensely The only issue is maual tuning and no modern features. But it is a keeper and I will use for backup or mobile when I get a better rig

KH6JRM Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2007 17:38 Send this review to a friend
good, basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Swan 100MXA since 1981. Nothing fancy here...just a good basic rig that's fun to
use. I use the old swan as a back-up rig and for
the Hawaii Island afternoon net on 40 meters. I've
used the rig mobile a few times where it does an
acceptable job. This old swan can't compare to the
newer transceivers on the market today, but it's
still fun to use for ragchews.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2006 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig almost a month ago from the first owner who had it for over 25 years. It looks and works like new. I wonder what a new (plastic) rig will look like 25 years from now...
The inside looks very neat and it is put together with great care. All quality components.
The VFO is rock steady and as said before in a previous review, it doesn't seem to drift at all.
The receiver is very sensitive on all bands. I can not pull anything out of the noise on my Icom 746PRO that I can't hear on the Swan.
True, on 40 and 80 it gets overloaded quite easily. However, addition of a 12dB switchable attenuator (activated by the light switch) solves this problem completely (to my surprise).
Although the sound is good, the build-in speaker is not powerfull enough and an external loudspeaker is a usefull addition.
Another advantage of this rig is that you still can play around in it. Doing so, I added an 8 pole AF CW filter which fits neatly on the carrier pcb.
I ended up with a very IMD free, very sensitive, very CW capable, very fun-to-use rig.

KA2AYR Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2005 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Basic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have my Swan 100MX with power supply and antenna tuner. I got it from a friend 26 years ago and it was my first "modern" rig. The radio works well, but has some drift. Only had one problem ever and replacing the PIN diodes in the RF switching with SK or NTE replacements fixed it (remember when we could actually fix these things and get parts that worked?)! Mine still works and is a great rig to get back to basics with.

WA2DTW Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2004 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Compact, reliable, rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the radio that got me back into active hamdom in the late 1970's after a long period of inactivity. It is one of the first of the all-solid state tranceivers. It has a small footprint, and a warm glow from the dial. It was rock-stable, and I always received good audio reports. Although I used it as a base-station, it is well-suited to mobile operation.
What a shame that this excellent company no longer is around to make amateur products!

KB0PGO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2004 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Fun and practical  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a radio repairman and a ham I have always loved this radio. It is basically a Atlas 350xl design with an improved VFO system. It also has a hardwired chassis which does not give the problems that all the plug in modules have in the Atlas radio. It is a simple, small, and practical radio for portable use. It operates well although it has none of the bells and whistles that a modern radio has. It is just a fun and easy radio to operate - what else can one say!

WA0ROI Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2003 02:23 Send this review to a friend
Noise-Blanker?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really liked this radio because of its simplicity .. the last of the REAL radios? The only problem I ever experienced in operation was the noise blanker .. I'd even thought of looking to see if there were any wires on the noise-blanker switch! This problem was consistent on the 3 I owned over the years. Other than that .. good audio, etc. Great radio, but not for mobile. The later version of this radio (Astro-150) by Swan and Cubic was the same re: the noise blanker .. EXCEPT FOR ONE. I had one Swan 150 in which the noise blanker worked fine. Over all, a great radio for someone that wants a classic but doesn't have much room. I believe that final transistors are no longer available (so I've heard) so take care.

GW4JPC Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2003 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Tough & Simple to Use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one new in April 1980 as a stop gap when I was rebuilding my main station rig.I was very happy with the HF band performance (10-15-20) but less so with 40 as the receiver was overwhelmed by strong signals.Perhaps with a mobile antenna the sig levels would be less of a problem for the front end.
Transmit audio was good used with a Shure 444 mic,gaining many unsolicited compliments.
Build quality was excellent, far better than the Far Eastern competition.Very solid with good quality PCBs (real thick Mil Spec looking glass fibre boards).
The PA protection was not up to todays standards and the Motorola MRF455s were expensive so care had to be taken in the SWR presented to the rig by the antenna system.
They are rare in the UK but would be an ideal mobile or second rig if you can live with out the WARC bands and most of 10 meters.I seem to remember that it only covered 28.00 to 28.53MHz as supplied from the dealer.
The mechanical tuning read out was good,very easy to reset to a given frequency.
All in all a very solid little rig.