Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Swan 100MX series Help

Reviews Summary for Swan 100MX series
Swan 100MX series Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $895 US (1978)
Description: 80-10 meter 100 watt SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/k9gdt/radio/cubic/100mx.htm

You can write your own review of the Swan 100MX series.

K7JUB Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2002 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Mobile Bliss  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been running a 100MXA mobile and portable for a year now. There are only two things I need to fix/add to make it better. I need to fix the RIT circuit which only shifts down, and add a Clear Speak speaker with its DSP filtering to help control the noise while mobile. The radio normally resides in my Dodge Ramcharger and is rugged enough to withstand off road driving. As noted in other reviews it is very simple to operate by feel. I have also dragged it along on a couple of business trips as carry on luggage and it has performed flawlessly on the road. I have purchased a smaller rig to carry along on trips since 9/11 (a Patcomm 9000), but it was only because the airlines have been limiting the amount of carry on luggage. I like American radios, and except for one dual band portable, everything I own is American made. The Swan 100MX is a great low maintenance radio that would have most likely evolved had Swan/Cubic survived. It would be nice to have the WARC bands, but 20 meter SSB is normally all I run mobile. So.. If you find a good deal on one of these, snap it up!

PS: I could buy 5 or more of these for the cost of one those mobile rice boxes....

W0AKR Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2002 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice and fun little radio from the past  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had two (2) of these little units, the 100MX (A) I believe. They were fun to use, but with the analog dial, you had to be careful around band edges. Had good audio out and good receive audio. Not the most sensitive, but at least as sensitive as the Ten Tec Jupiter which I had recently (note: HAD).

It was small and easy to operate, no menus, etc. It could stand some beefing up, but that won't happen. It was a strudy and durable rig, but rare like hen's teeth now.

If you find one cheap (<$200) I would recommend getting one just to play with.

N4DFP Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2000 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Drivers Dream!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I drive a truck for a living, so MOST of my activity is mobile. I am on the brink of getting my General ticket (just have to pin down a VEC and fill out a 605) so I have already installed a Swan 100MX in my truck. I have been monitoring for some time now with no problems. The rig is simple to operate and just the basic controls, thank you! The panel is more reminiscent of a Collins S-Line than the Swan layout. I can operate it by feel leaving my primary attention on the road. The PTO, (unfortunately NOT a PLL) is rock stable and the analog freq indicator is dead on the money! Construction of this little brute is very robust. The only problem I have had was with the band switch. The shaft screws worked loose. Realignment was straight forward and obvious to anyone who is familiar with the inside of a radio. All I have to say is, Cubic killed the Swan that laid THIS golden egg!

VE3EFJ Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2000 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Enjoyable nostalgia...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I liked this radio. Swan put together a radio that does not seem to drift at all and was built very well indeed. Swan employed G10 circuit boards and quality components. It came with VOX and Noise Blanker. Some cautions today are in order, however. The IC in the IF amp may not be obtainable, and the finals have a (rumored) tendancy to run away if allowed to get too hot. The reason for this is that Swan never thermally connected the bias diodes to the PA transistors. I found this radio very similar in theme to the Yaesu FT707 or the Atlas 210X. In todays terms, its a heavy radio. If you can find one in decent shape, for a basic HF SSB transceiver there really isn't much wrong with one other than the cautions mentioned. Its a Ham Band only SSB transceiver with a mechanical dial. I would not recommend a radio of this vintage if you cannot repair a basic transceiver or if the radio is not coming from a known and trusted source.