Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | wouxun KG-689 Help

Reviews Summary for wouxun KG-689
wouxun KG-689 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $<70 dollar with shipping
Description: china two way ham radio

You can write your own review of the wouxun KG-689.

OH1HAQ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 03:13 Send this review to a friend
1750Hz toneburst is there  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just FYI:

Contrary to popular belief, this radio has got a 1750Hz toneburst.

Press PTT, keeping it pressed press the * (star) button. This "feature" is completely undocumented, but it works.

EP3MJ Rating: 0/5 Apr 2, 2011 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Peace of junk!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
poor product quality.
terrible receiver.

the receiver has a very bad sensitivity.

never try!

VE3TMT Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2010 05:03 Send this review to a friend
KG-679 VHF HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered one from Hong Kong with the waterproof speaker/mic and arrived in one week for a total of $90 CAD. I was looking for a cheap HT to carry around the hamfests or for use at local club events and monitoring the local repeater. I haven't been on VHF bands in a while and didn't want to sink a lot of money to get back on. The HT is rugged, and looks solid. Belt clip nice and strong, it will not fall off and can not easily be pulled off. Both TX and RX audio are good. For less than $100, including shipping you can't go wrong. I give it a 4/5 because without the programming cable the memories are a bugger to program, and the manual could be better, but that I expected. All in all a nice little handheld. May pick up the dual band model soon.

VE3TMT Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2010 05:03 Send this review to a friend
KG-670 VHF HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

WM9V Rating: 0/5 Feb 14, 2010 13:30 Send this review to a friend
read before buying  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please read before purchasing
You may have seen this product advertised on Ebay as a dual band handie talkie. This product is not a dual band walkie talkie.
The KG 689 is a UHF only dual watch or dual receive UHF only walkie talkie; contrary to the manufacturers website. If you desire a VHF walkie talkie then you must order the KG679 VHF model.
The Ebay vendor I dealt with ignored my follow up emails criticizing his ad.
The box cover graphics purports this product specs as being a dual frequency transceiver. Needless to say , Chinese made products now draw the brunt of
jokes about cheap foreign made products
The quality of the product is good ;it has an ISO 9000 sticker in the back cover
and works reliably.
Unfortunately, like so many products from China ,the cost of shipping (50 dollars)is a significant factor in price shopping.
Technically the product is a jobsite radio useable for GMRS and amateur use.
The quality of the product is good, but again, do not buy this radio if you are purchasing an inexpensive dual band handie talkie. The two model numbers exist because they are VHF and UHF only models.
Hopefully this should clear up the deceptive advertising associated with this manufacturer and domestic resellers/importers of Chinese made communications products.
Consulting the manufacture website will only confuse you more (Confucious?) because their pages clearly list this as a uhf/vhf transceiver in one package. Yaesu owners manuals are not available for download on their website so maybe the Chicoms are an improvement.

VA7CRH Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2009 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, software needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the KG-689 400-470 MHz (UHF) version to use primarily as an inexpensive GMRS radio on the 8 frequencies allocated. At 4 watts it works at about a 16 block radius for GMRS, and would go farther line-of-sight. It also works very well as a ham-band UHF transceiver and as a scanner for police and fire frequencies. With 128 channels, there's more than enough to fill in in our area.

Why the 4 out of 5? Well, the docs are in mangled English, obviously done by someone with it as a second language. As referred to in the last review, it took me awhile to discover that the GMRS frequencies needed to be entered into memory twice (they are simplex!), once for receive and the other for transmit. Don't know of another tranceiver where you have to do that - particularly since one also can set the rig for proper offset in software. Further, the manual wasn't clear this had to be done this way. I haven't used the software, but recommend it.

This is a dual-watch unit on the display.

Would have like to see some other features but at the price cannot complain. The shipping from a company in Hong Kong was seamless and very inexpensive.

Wouxun has winners in these nifty handhelds - I also have a KG-UVD1P dual watch 2M / 220MHz unit. As with the KG-689, in North America one has to be careful not to TX out of ham band, but software makes it easy to avoid as you simply don't program the TX side of the rig.

This would be a "5" save for the very awkward manual programming from the front panel. The manual desparately needs a workover. But all in all very good value for the money.

Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Alinco will be getting a run for their money in the years ahead as Chinese companies mature.

KB1LUO Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 12:13 Send this review to a friend
GOOD BUY!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This little ht has a few cons but has far more pros! Programming it is strange having to program both receive and transmit frequencies when it has a built in offset. Programming from the front keys is difficult. I highly recommend the cable and software.
One of the quirky things that I thought at first was the fm radio feature. I find myself using this feature more and more but you can't see what frequency you are tuned to as the display simply says radio.
This little ht performs very well and I receive very good reports from it. The accessories are very inexpensive. I bought a Nagoya wave antenna, external microphone and extra battery pack which all came to a little over $100 US dollars from www.409shop.com.
I would give it a 4.5 if there was that option but for the value and the way it talks the few cons really do not matter so I will give it a 5. I plan on purchasing the KG UVD1 dual band at a later date.

G3YVY Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2009 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent cheap radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Please ignore the negative comments in my previous review. I've managed to find different software for this handheld which includes channel scanning. This is the link.
The channel scanning software for the KG-689 is "KG-689E-P"
So I can now give it a rating of 5

G3YVY Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2009 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am impressed with this little handheld transceiver.It appears to be quite well made.
I sent for the USB prgramming cable (inc software) as I did not fancy programming the 128 memory channels by hand. The software instructs you to allocate the "Prolific USB driver" to Com 1. This did not work in my case as the software would not talk to the radio. I'm sure this is because my serial port is already com 1. Assigning the USB driver to Com2/3/4/5 did not work either. Upon contacting the prog. cable supplier in Hong Kong they gave me a link for another XP USB driver which worked ok & assigned the driver to Com 4.
When you program the Rx frquencies to a channel and then click on the TX box, it puts the same frequency in the box, which saves typing.
These are the links I was sent for the updated drivers.
Vista - http://www.radiogearpro.com/download/vista-prolific-chip-driver-for-serial-adapters.zip
Windows XP etc - http://www.radiogearpro.com/download/windowsprolificdrivers.zip
The only downside I have found with this radio is that I cannot work out how to scan the channels I have programmed. The manual says "by software only" but there does not seem to be provision in the supplied software to do this function. I have emailed Wouxon but as yet have received no reply on channel scanning.
I think channel scanning should have been a basic function of this radio which is why I can only give it 4 out of 5. However I would like to know if anybody else who has this radio has managed to enable channel scanning. It could be I'm just not clever enough.

KC5BBD Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2009 18:26 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good radio however the charger malfunctioned in 2 weeks and the battery eliminator went out a week after that..... But would buy again... works fine with aa battery case and rechargeables