Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $see website for prices
Description: The ZN-SL is the single lever version of the ZN series of paddles. It has the same ball bearing movement and magnet return as it brothers but with a single lever design. Base in 2 3/4" x 3".

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2018 20:17 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying many keys and paddles the ZN9 from N3ZN was perfect
but then I tried a single paddle and for me the ZN-SL is the pinnacle
of CW keys. The Begali might look more artistic but the ZN-SL is so
smooth that it seems to key by itself.
W9SA Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2018 14:40 Send this review to a friend
My New Go To Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great key, period. I'm not going to try to write a book on all the things that have been said before so I'll just give you the basics. I have been a ham and using cw since 8th grade and I'm 61 now so I've sent a few dits and dahs. I'm coming from a Vibroplex Iambic paddle and have used the Bencher. This is the first single paddle I have owned and I'm sorry I waited so long. I never got used to the iambic and basically used it as a single paddle so it hasn't been much of a transition. As far as quality the ZN-SL is like a Mercedes. Very easy to adjust and a real pleasure to use. They are pricey but if you like cw you won't be disappointed.
K9TYR Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2017 10:06 Send this review to a friend
My Primary Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one of only a few keys I've found that will stay in place on my bench while keying. I like the ability to set gap changes in small increments easily and without having to mess with a lock nut.

I was torn between this key and a begali when I decided to pick up a single lever key. When I noticed the Begali had a metal paddle I decided against it. The heat transfer between a metal surface and a finger is uncomfortable in some circumstances.

The ZN cost me a bit more but I'm very happy with the purchase and use the key daily.
K6DGW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2016 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Therapudic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everyone likes Tony's paddles and keys. I went for it because ancient injuries to my hands, a genetic condition [poor choice of Dad], and age were slowly lowering my reliable sending speed. I've never been Iambicized, so I went for the SL in the hope it might mitigate the hand problems. I was using a Hexkey, which is a very good iambic paddle but getting lots of extraneous dits.

The SL solved my problem. The adjustment screws have very fine threads which is also a big help. It's a work of art, it might as well be screwed to the desk, and Tony is a great guy to work with.
KM6CQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2015 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Experiance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What could I possibly add to what others have said? Simply great communication, great service, and a very very nice key. The best I now own. I highly recommend a N3ZN purchase.
N0HOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Summary: THE BEST!! Perfect 5!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot has been said here already about Tonyís keys but I wanted to add my accolades!! I donít often write reviews. I expect the ham products I buy to be built with quality. If they arenít, I write the manufacturer. If they are, I use them.

Every once in a while though, there are not only quality products, but exceptional ones. The N3ZN ZN-SLH I received from Tony is one of those exceptional products that I just have to write about.

Yes, I bought the ĎHí model. The HULK! Itís not much bigger than other keys Iíve owned, but itís like a boulder on the desk ó rock solid stability. Yet with all of that stability, it has an amazingly precise feel to the lever.

The only other key Iíve owned that matches the mechanical preciseness of this key is another of Tonyís keys - an iambic one. Iíve made the switch to a single lever key but have lost none of the familiarity of a solid N3ZN key.

During my changeover to single-lever, I purchased many other expensive to very expensive keys. Why? Thatís exactly what I wrote to Tony when I ordered this key. ĎWhy did I try others?í Everything else feels mushy in comparison.

A key canít make you better at CW, but it can definitely can hinder. This key has unlimited potential!! Itís worth every penny. óN0HOT
N7HRK Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Try as you may, this is the finest key made!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Starting out 57 years ago using a J-38 for about 5 years and perfecting my sending to sound like W1AW, I decided it was time to purchase a Vibroplex SL paddle. Which I still use in my Mobile cw set-up. I got used to the Vibroplex, but a couple of years ago I decided to buy a KENT SL paddle just to say I used another key. It was fine and I could send good code with it but I had to keep cleaning the contacts. Last year(2012)I was going to turn 70 years of age and decided I was going to splurge and spend some serious money on a SL paddle. I looked at several adds and reviews on SL paddles and decided to buy the N3ZN Model SL. It was the heaviest compared to the SLR model and I wanted something that did not slide around on the table. It looked good and all that but I didn't know Tony from Adam and I put my trust in him to deliver a key as addvertised. And boy, did he ever. I had to wait awhile before getting it since he had a lot of orders from Dayton Hamfest and others. Just before my 70th B'day it came. I opened the box up and my mouth started to water. I couldn't wait to try it out. I did and haven't looked back since. I did make one modification to the Red paddle. Even though it is pretty thin, I decided to grind it thinner to be more like the Vibroplex paddle. After making that modification, for me, the key is absalutely perfect. I will not look any futher for a better key, since this is the best. The money was well worth it and it was a great B'day present to me on my 70th. You may hear me on 40 meters around 7.046 most evenings.
One other thing, I am a member of SKCC and I have been using my Bencher SK but I found out that if I put my N3ZN-SL on it's side, turn the radio to straight key sending and put a small piece if foam rubber under the paddle for counter weight, it works just great as a Straight key so I now get the best of both worlds.
Thanks Tony for such a great product and I recommend it to any serious CW operator and for those just getting into cw. What a great key to learn CW on. 73 from Rick - N7HRK
WY4J Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2013 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Simply...THE BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that lots of folks purchase expensive items that they don't really know how to use because they are expensive and they want everyone to know that they can afford them. Tony's products are not the cheapest around but they have no rival in terms of quality, workmanship and performance. You can waste your time experimenting but if you are an experienced cw operator you will end up with one of Tony's keys. Believe me, I have 15 keys and paddles but mostly paddles and I use only two and both are N3ZN paddles. You might think you are driving a Ferrari, Bugatti or a Maserati but until you own a N3ZN key you are driving an impostor as the best is not made in Italy, Germany or Japan but in the good old USA. Actually the best cw keys are made in Pennsylvania by an Italian-American master craftsman. Believe me you will not go wrong and besides, Tony is a very strait shooter and a hell of a nice guy.

W3WW Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Bast Paddle Yet!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my new ZN-SL from Tony and I'm extremely satisfied. A genuine masterpiece !!! I have used many paddles over the years including my W9WBL V-22. The N3ZN paddle is my favorite by far. I'm used to a dual lever but ordered the single lever as I was willing to switch after giving the N3ZN ZN-SL a try at the Orlando Hamfest. That was the best move I have ever made in a paddle choice.
K4PG Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 17:10 Send this review to a friend
"Sweet!" ZN9A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had it a week and I am still awed by the precision of the construction and the pleasure of operating such s fine key (paddle). My Hex Key has been moved to back-up status. Tony's communication was excellent; the packing was over-kill (appreciated). It is worth the few weeks wait to have one made for yourself. 73 Kevin K4PG