Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $see website for prices
Description: The ZN-SL is the single lever version of the ZN series of paddles. It has the same ball bearing movement and magnet return as it brothers but with a single lever design. Base in 2 3/4" x 3".
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-SL.

N0HOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Summary: THE BEST!! Perfect 5!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot has been said here already about Tonyís keys but I wanted to add my accolades!! I donít often write reviews. I expect the ham products I buy to be built with quality. If they arenít, I write the manufacturer. If they are, I use them.

Every once in a while though, there are not only quality products, but exceptional ones. The N3ZN ZN-SLH I received from Tony is one of those exceptional products that I just have to write about.

Yes, I bought the ĎHí model. The HULK! Itís not much bigger than other keys Iíve owned, but itís like a boulder on the desk ó rock solid stability. Yet with all of that stability, it has an amazingly precise feel to the lever.

The only other key Iíve owned that matches the mechanical preciseness of this key is another of Tonyís keys - an iambic one. Iíve made the switch to a single lever key but have lost none of the familiarity of a solid N3ZN key.

During my changeover to single-lever, I purchased many other expensive to very expensive keys. Why? Thatís exactly what I wrote to Tony when I ordered this key. ĎWhy did I try others?í Everything else feels mushy in comparison.

A key canít make you better at CW, but it can definitely can hinder. This key has unlimited potential!! Itís worth every penny. óN0HOT

N7HRK Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Try as you may, this is the finest key made!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Starting out 57 years ago using a J-38 for about 5 years and perfecting my sending to sound like W1AW, I decided it was time to purchase a Vibroplex SL paddle. Which I still use in my Mobile cw set-up. I got used to the Vibroplex, but a couple of years ago I decided to buy a KENT SL paddle just to say I used another key. It was fine and I could send good code with it but I had to keep cleaning the contacts. Last year(2012)I was going to turn 70 years of age and decided I was going to splurge and spend some serious money on a SL paddle. I looked at several adds and reviews on SL paddles and decided to buy the N3ZN Model SL. It was the heaviest compared to the SLR model and I wanted something that did not slide around on the table. It looked good and all that but I didn't know Tony from Adam and I put my trust in him to deliver a key as addvertised. And boy, did he ever. I had to wait awhile before getting it since he had a lot of orders from Dayton Hamfest and others. Just before my 70th B'day it came. I opened the box up and my mouth started to water. I couldn't wait to try it out. I did and haven't looked back since. I did make one modification to the Red paddle. Even though it is pretty thin, I decided to grind it thinner to be more like the Vibroplex paddle. After making that modification, for me, the key is absalutely perfect. I will not look any futher for a better key, since this is the best. The money was well worth it and it was a great B'day present to me on my 70th. You may hear me on 40 meters around 7.046 most evenings.
One other thing, I am a member of SKCC and I have been using my Bencher SK but I found out that if I put my N3ZN-SL on it's side, turn the radio to straight key sending and put a small piece if foam rubber under the paddle for counter weight, it works just great as a Straight key so I now get the best of both worlds.
Thanks Tony for such a great product and I recommend it to any serious CW operator and for those just getting into cw. What a great key to learn CW on. 73 from Rick - N7HRK

WY4J Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2013 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Simply...THE BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that lots of folks purchase expensive items that they don't really know how to use because they are expensive and they want everyone to know that they can afford them. Tony's products are not the cheapest around but they have no rival in terms of quality, workmanship and performance. You can waste your time experimenting but if you are an experienced cw operator you will end up with one of Tony's keys. Believe me, I have 15 keys and paddles but mostly paddles and I use only two and both are N3ZN paddles. You might think you are driving a Ferrari, Bugatti or a Maserati but until you own a N3ZN key you are driving an impostor as the best is not made in Italy, Germany or Japan but in the good old USA. Actually the best cw keys are made in Pennsylvania by an Italian-American master craftsman. Believe me you will not go wrong and besides, Tony is a very strait shooter and a hell of a nice guy.

W3WW Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Bast Paddle Yet!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my new ZN-SL from Tony and I'm extremely satisfied. A genuine masterpiece !!! I have used many paddles over the years including my W9WBL V-22. The N3ZN paddle is my favorite by far. I'm used to a dual lever but ordered the single lever as I was willing to switch after giving the N3ZN ZN-SL a try at the Orlando Hamfest. That was the best move I have ever made in a paddle choice.

K4PG Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 17:10 Send this review to a friend
"Sweet!" ZN9A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had it a week and I am still awed by the precision of the construction and the pleasure of operating such s fine key (paddle). My Hex Key has been moved to back-up status. Tony's communication was excellent; the packing was over-kill (appreciated). It is worth the few weeks wait to have one made for yourself. 73 Kevin K4PG

KF6GC Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2012 13:39 Send this review to a friend
nz-sl  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I heard a single lever key would help me eliminate a lot of my errors so I contacted Tony about it he said I would be less likly to make as many errors with the NZ-SL

after I looked at a lot of his beautiful models (I wanted a pretty brass one,) tony offered to send NO Obligation! I took him up on his offer.

When it arrived I spent a few minutes getting it adjusted to a very close setting(I don't like to hear a key click, just the side tone).

I practiced about 2 minutes and went on the air. It worked first time out! no mistakes! 100% first qso with the Nz-SL
The Iambic keys I have are the Begali Sculpture and the Bencher BY-2,
I have tried many others and that gets expensive buying and selling shipping etc. they are both great but I make a lot of errors with them, long story short of it.
I knew I had found right key the right key now! How about the looks I could not make up my mind I would have to send back the loaner, and ship another key more money wasted, but his key was already here!
I called Tony and asked what he would sell the loaner for?Hey the price was right

I had two other key's to look at so why not take the deal? I did and I am happy finally I can send and not make so many mistakes some qso' s are 100% yes I can still make a mistake but I have to work at it now, and I can live with them.

Tony is a 100% nice Guy and by the way the loaner key looked brand new no digs color was fresh and the key is flawless
so next thing on the agenda is to sell the Begali Sculpter and get another Zn-SL to look AT! watch for my add on QTH.COM in the near future

K7NEW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2011 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've tried a few different paddles and been annoyed by them.
They often seemed to have a mind of their own. So I splurged on the ZN-SL.
No more excuses for bad sending.

The ZN-SL makes me happy. It's beautiful. It works, period.

It came pre-set with a tiny contact spacing, much smaller than I would have tried.
My experience with other paddles made me wary of such a small spacing.
I think most other paddles would stick.
On the ZN-SL, I haven't found any reason to increase the spacing.

When I work the paddle, I have to look closely to see any movement.
But there's a definite click of tactile and audible feedback.
Not exactly a click, more of a tap.

You can put your finger lightly on the side of the paddle without it sending.
Then apply a tiny bit of force and there's the little click as contact is made.

I imagine the reason single-lever paddles are difficult to make is that it's hard to arrange for them stay centered,
especially when the spacing is small.
Well this paddle stays centered perfectly. If you press one side repeatedly, you get the same tiny click every time.
Then switch to the other side -- same tiny click every time.

I never have to worry about the ZN-SL moving around on the table, because it doesn't.
It's so heavy it feels like it's bolted down.

I can't say anything negative about this paddle.

W4ZV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2010 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Your search is over!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been operating mostly CW for 53 years, used about every paddle known to man (including Vibroplex, Bencher, Kent, Begali, etc) and the ZN-SL is at the top of the heap by a wide margin. If you're looking for a good single-lever paddle...game over...you have found the best!

Thanks to Tony for a great product which I expect to be using until I'm SK!

AB0VI Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2010 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent workmanship and a joy to use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this key paddle as a replacement for several others that I have used and been disappointed with because of their failure to adjust properly and stay adjusted. So many manufacturer's still don't seem to understand that adjustment screws require fine threads!

My ZN-SL paddle arrived a week ago and was packaged so well that I think that it would withstand a direct nuclear strike! It is a beauty to behold! The fit and finish is excellent and the optional callsign plate looks great as well. Even the included cable was better than expected. It's held in place with two cable clamps, not just one! And the soldering job is first rate too.

OK, it looks good but does it work well? WOW, does it ever! It comes already adjusted, so I plugged it in and tried it just as it was right out of the box. The movement is very light with close contact spacing. The combination of the heavy base and the light aluminum lever arm, along with the magnetic tensioning, makes it very easy to use. It doesn't move around on my desktop and it takes very little effort to use. I noticed that my key hand no longer feels the strain of sending for prolonged periods. It is amazing how much easier it is now to send good code.

I agree with all of the other reviewers, that this is a great paddle - excellent fit and finish and works as good as it looks. Kudo's to Tony for doing such a fine design and manufacturing job and for his excellent email response in making the ordering process a good experience as well. I couldn't be happier with this paddle and I look forward to using it for many years to come.

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update after one year of use - I live in the tropics and the shack is not airconditioned. The laquered finish has protected the key very well and there is no discolouration, unlike many other keys I own. I use it in bug style with manual Dahs through a JA3KAB bug emulator, and the dah side gets a lot of slapping. It bears the punishment very well and I have never needed to adjust it.