Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | DXBeam DXD1712-4 Help

Reviews Summary for DXBeam DXD1712-4
DXBeam DXD1712-4 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $425
Description: Dual-band yagi,17 & 12m - one single coaxial cable.

You can write your own review of the DXBeam DXD1712-4.

F6GCP Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2008 10:06 Send this review to a friend
High Efficiency  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed on June 9th 2006, the result was immediate in DXing! On the first night, means 22h UTC, midnight in Paris, I have worked VI9NI and T30AV on 17m, breaking a JA pile-up! On second day, again VI9NI, but with 5 watts, again on 17m!... Compare with the GP still installed, 4m above the ground, and with 4 radials, at least 1 to 2 S-points difference with the yagi… On the days after, I made many comparisons between the 2 antennas, and just after one week, the GP was down!
After about 2 years of usage, the results are very good, for a “simple” 2 el on each band.
On 17m, quite often while running USA (full qso), I received good reports and some comment as “single signal on the dead band”.
Compare to the GP on which I can work only stations running yagi, I can now have qso with OMs using wires, vertical, or low power (such as a JA2 running 200mW onto a wire!)

Installed over the TH3MK3, 2m below, no interaction was noticed. The 4el was installed first, tested without any adjustment, and them the TH3 was installed, and no difference!

The story of the choice:
After more than 20 years running with verticals and dipoles, I decided to have yagis !
A small tower was installed on the house, not so high, just 3.5m over the roof (tower is 6m).
At first, an old TH3MK3 was planned, but as the tower and the rotor are designed to support another “small” yagi, I searched for a 12/17m one. I knew for long time that F6ARC, Oliver, was designing antennas for some big guns (F5IN, F2YT…) as well as TM0HQ team.
Oliver also has decided to become an antenna manufacturer. He has designed a 4el 12/17m yagi, open-sleeve, which matched the sizes and the weight of the antenna I want.
In May 2006, he gave me one of the prototypes.
Why not another manufacturer?
- F6ARC is a well known DXer, with for several years using it own designed antennas
- The feedbacks from some users were excellent
- F6ARC has also decided to create its own company as “DXBeam” ( www.dxbeam.com )

Next step:
In few weeks, a 6el for 20/15/10m to replace the old TH3MK3 (25 years old!) with 2el active elements open-sleeve on each band to replace the 3el trap antenna…
Risky? I don’t think!

Antennas: TH3MK3 @ 11m up, DXD1712-4 (4el 17/12m) DxBeam @ 13m

Best 73 es DX

(see pictures and measurements on my web page http://f6gcp.free.fr )