Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D
Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1250
Description: 1.8-30mhz transceiver with 80-100w output,full breakin on cw
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/tentec/omnid.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D.

W4UDX Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2016 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Still holds its own....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an Omni D original series by accident using my eBay app on my cell phone. I paid less than $200 for the radio and it included a really nice repainted Turner +2 desk mic. I was surprised at how nice the receiver sounded even though it doesn't have any fancy DSP features or even IF shift! The guys I chat with on 75 meters said the transmit sounded as good or better than my Icom 746 and I use a desk mic and EQ with it. Looks like I got a great deal but I am not into boatanchors anymore even the solid state ones so I will probably sell it for someone else to enjoy. Just a tip: don't play with your eBay app on your cell while talking to your wife. :-)

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2015 10:20 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT MORE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LOVE MY OMNI D EVEN MORE SINCE I JUST PUT IN THE 500HZ CW FILTER...AT A PRICE I WANTED TO PAY...

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 22:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
IM STILL LAUGHING ...JUST BOUGHT ON EBAY FOR $107.50... SELLER SAID IT DID NOT WORK... WELL IT DOES !!! MY THIRD TT HAVE A TRITON4 DIGITAL AND A OMNI 5 LOADED WITH INRADS ... THE RX AUDIO SOUNDS LIKE MY HQ170AC -PERFECT ... I HAVE RECEIVED TX AUDIO REPORTS OF CRYSTAL CLEAR ... AND OF COURSE THE QSK IS SILENT AND JUST A PLEASURE TO USE ON CW...MY NEXT CATCH IS GOING TO BE A ORION...AND LET ME ADD ALL THE TT ARE SO EASY TO USE ...

KD8GTP Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
I luv mine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used 1yr ago, $300 with desk mic/original power supply. I had to send it to TT for a PTO rebuild, $290. So I have $600 in this radio. I also have the Yaesu FT897d. I prefer the TT, here's why. BIG LCD frequency display, no problem seeing this one. A real meter, analog, just something about watching that needle swing rather than a bar graph. BIG knobs, no menus. Please keep in mind I am a 'no code appliance operator', I have no use for roof filters, DSP,or band scopes. Hell, I don't even know what those things do :) This radio is SIMPLE ! Turn it on and talk to fellers. Open up the top and look inside. Even I can tell if something blew, all modular boards plug into each other and use components you can actually replace. Finally, this is a big radio, something with substance, looks like you have a real radio, not some shoe box size thing on your desk. Bottom line- if you can score one, do it! Great radidio !!

N4OI Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 09:58 Send this review to a friend
My Go-To CW Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why do I always find myself going to my OMNI-D / A for CW? My K3/P3 has incredible filtering, but the OMNI's receiver, sidetone and QSK are just more comfortable... I really cannot put my finger on why that is!

Given the Ebay pricing these days, the OMNI-D / A is a good candidate for the best value on the used market today. And the styling is about the best in TenTec's history.

NX1F Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2013 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a pristine example with rebuilt PTO and outboard VFO also with rebuilt PTO. The receiver is as quiet as a church mouse. The QSK is fine. The sidetone is very pleasant. This is a CW OPs dream. It has that funky receiver preselector control to peak the signal for each band. I like it because it's something else I can control. We all have different operating styles. Some of us like the newest of everything, with 7 separate VFOs, digital maps showing every signal, and the Yankees/Red Sox game. These rigs have hot plates for warming your coffee, and a remote starter button for your Lexus..........no thanks. I like a simple, basic rig with CW filters. Send the signal, listen to the response. The Omni D does this beautifully. Controls are very intuitive, and I find that the noise blanker DOES work. You can't go wrong with this radio, unless you want a rig that will also toast your English muffins.
Very 73,
Joe / NX1F

N3GGT Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2010 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio !  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first experience with this radio was field day 1989. It was the 40m SSB rig and I was amazed how quiet the reciever was. I laughed at the banana mic but found it was very comfortable. I bought one at a hamfest for a whopping $250. I rebuilt the PTO myself. For a CW rig, its QSK defies explanation... you will never find a rig that can beat it ! The CW filter is quite narrow and I love it. Something wrong with the bandswitch arraingment and 40m doesn't work for me.... wouldn't you know it... its my favorite band. NOV SS CW of 2010 I fired it up on 80m and forgot what fun it was to operate. I do miss working 40m cw so I'll have to fix it. A simple radio to work on. I love this radio and will never part with it. If you get a chance... get one. You'll be very happy with it.

N7INO Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 20:05 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the D model since it was new. Used it for years and I thought I up graded to newer rig.I was wrong, sent my D back to Ten Tec Had it serviced and aliend, workd very well. I then sent my Triton back as a back up rig, which I also bought new.Works very well also.What can be wrong with a radio built with knobs on Dolly Parton Parkway>

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2008 12:06 Send this review to a friend

no keyer
no inboard tuner
no general coverage receive

simply
one hell of a great radio
easy to use
easy to fix

when most other rigs of its age
are in the landfill

Omni A/D series A/B/C radios
will still be on the air

its one of the best cw rigs
ive ever owned

ive owned lots of radios

dit dit
mac

VE1CJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this Omni C for about two years and just recently the display started to jump around so after e-mailing Ten Tec and not receiving any reply I sent it back for repair, that took about two weeks, not bad for an old rig such as this.
it cost me $216.00 wow, they sent it back packaged like fine china and by UPS who when it arrived at my door demanded an extra $61.84 for administration charges or no rig, this I paid, so after taking the rig out of the wrapping I noticed the top cover had a big ding in it that was not there when it was sent,this was noted and conveyed to Ten Tec via e-mail,still no reply, I turned it on and checked everything was working and sure enough it was and the output was a wopping 100 watts on all freq, holy smoke, never did that before.
I then waited for the local HF nets to come on the air so I could test the transmit side out and had quite a chore finding anyone that was around and the qrm was not the best, after fooling with the frequency a bit I found that the rig was out by some 800 hertz on the display, so I e-mailed Ten Tec again and am waiting for a reply back re this issue, the rig does work very good dispite having to compensate with the display and I am otherwise pleased with the fact that the factory still services a radio that is over 20 years old so I think that with my gripes about small issues I wish that I had this rig when it was new because it is such a nice radio.