Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D
Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1250
Description: 1.8-30mhz transceiver with 80-100w output,full breakin on cw

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D.

K0PD Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 16:22 Send this review to a friend
I really enjoy using my Omni C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too bought my Omni C off of Ebay and it arrived just as described and works just Fine. Years back in my early days of Ham Radio i had a Omni D and at the time felt it was a great radio. I eventually sold it and like so many of us that enjoy this Hobby i've tried and owned just about every radio out there that has come out.I now operate a Yaesu FT-950 as my main station. The 950 works really great and i had been wanting to play with a Omni D/C again when i saw this one on e bay along with the 255 pwr supply and 670 electronic keyer.A ham was selling it for a friends widow and told me after i bought it if there was a problem he would gladly accept it back.Well i'll sum this up by saying not only did he not get it back but i find my self using it as much as my 950 and must say in my humble opinion that this radio with the filters and notch will still hold it's own against the more modern radios and i love the Ten Tec sound. So if your new to ham and after your first Radio and get a chance to buy a Omni D/C at a fair price do it and enjoy a real still made in America Radio. I might ad the C model will usually have all the warc bands where as the D will have only a couple of the warc bands as the later C model could be bought with or with out the warc bands but either way operation wise there exact radios....
WA5JAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 12:42 Send this review to a friend
OMNI D/C is a Good Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought a OMNI D Series C off eBay. The PTO needed rebuilding but thanks to the people at Ten Tec that was not a problem at all. I got that resolved and the rig worked perfectly. This is really a nice US made transceiver and I really enjoy using it..
AE4TO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2007 17:17 Send this review to a friend
A Gem in disguise  Time owned: months
I have a Omni D version B and the version C. This is a excellent cw, great QSK,with a very good quiet receiver.Is rated 100% duty and the out put is about 100 watts. The early version do not have the WARC bands.Tentec had a kit for the WARC band conversion. The C version comes with the WARC bands. The radio has an standard audio filter board and a optional 1.8 KC and 500 HC filter. There is an optional NB too.
The radio is very reliable and very easy to repair.If no optional filter are on the filter board make sure the filter bypass wire are restored. If you install an optional fiter you have to cut the filter by pass wires, usually a brown wire. In SSB I get excellent reports too. This a beautiful classic radio that is a lot of fun to use. AE4TO
W4VD Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2007 20:42 Send this review to a friend
one of the best older rigs there is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 29 years of hamming and countless rigs I finally picked up a TenTec Omni D, while I have only used it a few days, I must say this is the most bang for the buck in a older low cost radio, the receiver is one of the quietest I have owned, the CW is unreal, QSK will run with the best of them. Like the earlier poster said, all the hype is true. If a 25 year old year old Ten Tec is this good, it makes me wonder just how good their current stuff is, if you see one of these, BUY IT.
AB7JK Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2006 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Omni D Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Digital B model with 262G power supply at a good price and I am pleased. It's a solid day to day radio for casual operating and some contests.

Works well on digital and cw - have not tried it on voice. Some of the controls are poorly placed under the unlockable rotary dial and there is some backlash is the drive control but nothing to fuss over. Opened up it looks very easy to work on.

If the Japanese think I'm going to spend $1500 to $10,000 just to speak with some jerk three states away they are mistaken. AB7JK
KE4DYG Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2006 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Omni D  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Omni D the blub on the meter blew out and replaced the buld and i had trouble putting the cover back on turn the rig sideways, and now the rig reads on all bands did i shake something loose. any help old be apperiated. TKS Robert
VA3ZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 16:41 Send this review to a friend
A great radio--still.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great radio, fun to use and great looks. CW is fantastic as is SSB. Yes, all the hype about these rigs is true. It seems hard to believe a radio as 'old' as this could keep up but it does. This is my 2nd one and I am looking for a third.

AL2I Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Best for Budget Morse  Time owned: months
I looked at a lot of rigs to find the rig that would be my daughter's first, (She got her license a few days after turning 13 years old) and finally settled on the TenTec Omni D. Even though I have been spoiled by using a Yaesu FT-1000 almost exclusively for my HF work, the simple, little Omni-D is actually able to do as well or better for most QSOs. I was surprised by this and give the TenTec my highest reccomendation.
KD7ZVL Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2005 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very nice transcever. I own the Omni D, and it does 12 and 17 meters. I can't believe how simple it is to operate. It also has the lowest noise floor of any radio I have ever heard.
N2ILT Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2004 03:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig - Easy to use - Great CW & QSK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Omni-A (545), matching VFO (243), matching Power Supply (252MO), speech processor, banana mic. I don't use the speech processor or banana mic anymore - I use a D104 Silver Eagle instead. I bought this whole package over 16 years ago - USED for under $600.

I work primarily CW - and love the QSK! It is the only rig I have ever owned - and can not find a suitable replacement. Just got it back from TenTec. Rebuilt VFO in the 545 - the one in the 243 was just fine.

The two VFO's make a very powerful combination. It allows you to listen to BOTH VFO's simultaneously. I can be finishing a QSO on the tranciever's VFO - while tuning my remote VFO up the band looking for my next contact. With a flip of the knob on the remote VFO - I can switch the transmit to that VFO and make the next contact! I just bounce back and forth from the remote to the tranceiver VFO - and work the band real smoothly.

I have had very few problems with my rig - it is pretty much bullet proof. The finals are still the original with no degradation of performance. I have all filters, and the 12 & 30 meter bands installed. The filters and QSK make this rig a CW dream. I don't work much SSB - but my reports have always been real good. Everyone comments on the quality of the SSB - I'm not sure if it is the rig or the mic. Either way - it works well.

TenTec has been very good support. I once received a few reports of wobble in my DC tone. With some testing I found that some AC was bleeding over the DC from the power supply. With a little guidance from TenTec (two phone calls) - I was able to find the problem, locate parts at the local electronics store, and fix the problem myself. I am no electronics genius either! Boy was I proud. I was lucky to have an Elmer to bounce a few questions off of too.

Either way, the rig was easy to fix and TenTec was great help. They are really nice people down there in Tennesee! The manual is fantastic - you can use a simple multi-meter - and probe the boards one pin at a time - and verify voltages etc. With that, you can find the problem component very quickly. If I can do it - anyone can!

There is plenty of room to work with inside the box too. Have you ever popped the top off of a rice rig? It is so packed that I defy the average ham to work on that rig. The Omni is a cinch by comparison.

I have worked the world on this rig - especially CW - and just don't have the heart to move on to another rig. All the new ones have so many switches, dials, computer gizmos - you kind of get lost just operating it. I've found I can work contacts every bit as fast - and maybe faster with this rig - than my buddies can with their fancy computerized rigs. I KNOW I can pick out and work signals that my buddies rigs can't even hear.

If you get a chance to buy one of these old rigs, especially if you like CW, just do it. You will not be disappointed. Make sure you get the filters though - they make this rig shine. I can pick even the smallest signal out of a pile of big sigs using the filters. You simply can not operate CW on 20m & 40m without them.

Good luck finding one for yourself. As for me - I plan on getting an Omni-D (digital) version of this radio - and have both ready for action. A man can never have too many TenTec Omni rigs.

Joe - N2ILT