Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D
Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1250
Description: 1.8-30mhz transceiver with 80-100w output,full breakin on cw
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/tentec/omnid.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni A/Omni D.

AB7JK Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2006 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Omni D Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Digital B model with 262G power supply at a good price and I am pleased. It's a solid day to day radio for casual operating and some contests.

Works well on digital and cw - have not tried it on voice. Some of the controls are poorly placed under the unlockable rotary dial and there is some backlash is the drive control but nothing to fuss over. Opened up it looks very easy to work on.

If the Japanese think I'm going to spend $1500 to $10,000 just to speak with some jerk three states away they are mistaken. AB7JK

KE4DYG Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2006 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Omni D  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Omni D the blub on the meter blew out and replaced the buld and i had trouble putting the cover back on turn the rig sideways, and now the rig reads 9.ooo on all bands did i shake something loose. any help old be apperiated. TKS Robert

VA3ZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 16:41 Send this review to a friend
A great radio--still.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great radio, fun to use and great looks. CW is fantastic as is SSB. Yes, all the hype about these rigs is true. It seems hard to believe a radio as 'old' as this could keep up but it does. This is my 2nd one and I am looking for a third.

AL2I Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Best for Budget Morse  Time owned: months
I looked at a lot of rigs to find the rig that would be my daughter's first, (She got her license a few days after turning 13 years old) and finally settled on the TenTec Omni D. Even though I have been spoiled by using a Yaesu FT-1000 almost exclusively for my HF work, the simple, little Omni-D is actually able to do as well or better for most QSOs. I was surprised by this and give the TenTec my highest reccomendation.

KD7ZVL Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2005 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very nice transcever. I own the Omni D, and it does 12 and 17 meters. I can't believe how simple it is to operate. It also has the lowest noise floor of any radio I have ever heard.

N2ILT Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2004 03:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig - Easy to use - Great CW & QSK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Omni-A (545), matching VFO (243), matching Power Supply (252MO), speech processor, banana mic. I don't use the speech processor or banana mic anymore - I use a D104 Silver Eagle instead. I bought this whole package over 16 years ago - USED for under $600.

I work primarily CW - and love the QSK! It is the only rig I have ever owned - and can not find a suitable replacement. Just got it back from TenTec. Rebuilt VFO in the 545 - the one in the 243 was just fine.

The two VFO's make a very powerful combination. It allows you to listen to BOTH VFO's simultaneously. I can be finishing a QSO on the tranciever's VFO - while tuning my remote VFO up the band looking for my next contact. With a flip of the knob on the remote VFO - I can switch the transmit to that VFO and make the next contact! I just bounce back and forth from the remote to the tranceiver VFO - and work the band real smoothly.

I have had very few problems with my rig - it is pretty much bullet proof. The finals are still the original with no degradation of performance. I have all filters, and the 12 & 30 meter bands installed. The filters and QSK make this rig a CW dream. I don't work much SSB - but my reports have always been real good. Everyone comments on the quality of the SSB - I'm not sure if it is the rig or the mic. Either way - it works well.

TenTec has been very good support. I once received a few reports of wobble in my DC tone. With some testing I found that some AC was bleeding over the DC from the power supply. With a little guidance from TenTec (two phone calls) - I was able to find the problem, locate parts at the local electronics store, and fix the problem myself. I am no electronics genius either! Boy was I proud. I was lucky to have an Elmer to bounce a few questions off of too.

Either way, the rig was easy to fix and TenTec was great help. They are really nice people down there in Tennesee! The manual is fantastic - you can use a simple multi-meter - and probe the boards one pin at a time - and verify voltages etc. With that, you can find the problem component very quickly. If I can do it - anyone can!

There is plenty of room to work with inside the box too. Have you ever popped the top off of a rice rig? It is so packed that I defy the average ham to work on that rig. The Omni is a cinch by comparison.

I have worked the world on this rig - especially CW - and just don't have the heart to move on to another rig. All the new ones have so many switches, dials, computer gizmos - you kind of get lost just operating it. I've found I can work contacts every bit as fast - and maybe faster with this rig - than my buddies can with their fancy computerized rigs. I KNOW I can pick out and work signals that my buddies rigs can't even hear.

If you get a chance to buy one of these old rigs, especially if you like CW, just do it. You will not be disappointed. Make sure you get the filters though - they make this rig shine. I can pick even the smallest signal out of a pile of big sigs using the filters. You simply can not operate CW on 20m & 40m without them.

Good luck finding one for yourself. As for me - I plan on getting an Omni-D (digital) version of this radio - and have both ready for action. A man can never have too many TenTec Omni rigs.

Joe - N2ILT

WO7T Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2004 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Love These Rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
My exuberance for the Omni-D radio is evidenced in my owning 4 of them (yes, too many). I had decided a few years back, I never wanted to be without at least one of these CW/QSK gems. On every one I've had, the receiver is fantastic, and hears everything as well or better than the Ten Tec Jupiter that sits next to it in my shack. Very fine selectivity with the active bandwidth filters, and even better with the xtal filter in line.

These rigs are stable also, as I've just recently wired up a PSK interface and had many successful contacts on a very narrow digital mode.

Suprisingly, the SSB quality is exceptionally good also. One possible reason is my use of a mic using an element from Mouser electronics. It is part number 25LM022 Crystal Mic Element @ $3.52. It plays beautifully with the Omni-D line. Try one!

While I've only had one technical issue with one of these gems, the plug in boards, and ample working space within the cabinet is ideal for my aging eyes, and repair advice was dead on the money from the Tennessee service center. (Nice to have somebody tell you something other than, just box it up, and send it back, and we'll let you know)

If I had to take issue with one thing, it would likely be the SWR/finals protection. I believe these were manufactured before the designs of fold-back circuits to automatically throttle down power, so high or mismatch to finals can drive higher current pull by the rig. You don't want the higher current pull, unless you like abusing those final transistors, or worse blowing them.

Mind you this would never likely cause you concern if you have well matched antennas, and aren't mistuning significantly with an antenna tuner.

Nonetheless, for the Omni-D I'd advise to: be sure it is powered by matching power supply which includes internal circuit breaker to switch off the rig automatically. This also
has the advantage of the rig mounted push/pull
power switch actually functioning as intended.

Otherwise get an Airpax T11-1-20.0A-01-11C-V Magnetic current breaker switch which you use to power the rig on and off. Last checked, it is $12.50 from Gregg Porter at sales@pocosales.com

One further piece of protection that I believe Ten Tec sold as an option is the Model 1150 overvoltage protector.

If you've got one, enjoy it, and if you're considering one......go for it.

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2004 20:49 Send this review to a friend
excellent rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently obtained an omni d from a deceased hams estate. Its the first phone rig I've owned, but I like its features even though its old. Its great on cw, as with other ten tec rigs. I do have one question if anyone can tell me. Not being a phone person, I really don't understand alc all that much. Why did they put an alc control on the front panel when the tuning instructions tell you to leave it fully clockwise for cw and phone alike????? seems like a fixed component would have done the trick.

KJ7CY Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2003 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Overall Dependable Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these great rigs. I owned the original Omni D for about four years. And have owned the Omni D series b which has the notch filter for about two years now. This radio has a great reciever with a low noise floor. Great Audio on TX and RX. I have had many good compliments on the audio while using ssb. And this is a great cw rig especially with the qsk and zero beat features. The only problem I have had is the Omni D series b had to have the PTO rebuilt this year. But hey, we are talking about a radio built in 1978 that other than having bulbs replaced. Didn't experience a problem until 2003. Mine has 12 and 30 meters installed as well as all the filters and the noise blanker. The noise blanker could be better but it does work. The frequency counter does drift some during initial warm up and during operation. But not enough to be a problem. Having the PTO rebuilt has reduced this alot. You will get some popping when at first recieving a strong signal because the AGC can't keep up. But all you have to do is turn down the RF gain a little and it takes care of that problem. I have compared the Omni D with the FT840,FT900,FT100D,and the Corsair II. It easily ouperformed the FT840 and FT900, while the FT100D didn't even compare to the quality of the Omni. It recieved signals that those three rigs could not even hear and had much better dynamic range with a much more wholesome audio quality. I think the Corsair II has a better reciever with a somewhat lower noise floor and a more stable PTO for less frequency drift. They both have about the same great audio quality. But I prefer the audio from the Omni for it seems a little more wholesome. If you get a chance to pick up one of these rigs for around 200.00 to 250.00 you will be pleased. One thing to ask the seller is whether the PTO has ever been rebuilt. If it has then that is a bonus. If it has not been rebuilt then ask if the frequency readout is stable. If the frequency counter wonders all over the place then it may need a PTO rebuild. Also if it has the noise blanker and the filters then that is a bonus. Buy one and enjoy!

KB3HJQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2003 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Only rig I ever owned (probably ever will)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Omni C model 546 from a silent key estate two years ago. I've had numerous opportunities to buy newer rigs but could never part with the Omni. Get comments on beautiful audio when operating SSB. The only rig I would want to use on CW (legendary QSK). Several dealings with Ten Tec service, well deserving of A+++ rating. Thanks Ten Tec.