Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Triton IV Digital / 544 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Triton IV Digital / 544
Ten-Tec Triton IV Digital / 544 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $875 (when new) 150 (power supply
Description: Classic 70's 100w, solid-state, no-tune ssb/cw rig
More info: http://www.oakland.edu/~prvalko/tentec.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Triton IV Digital / 544.

K4CWQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2017 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Classic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought a 544 after seeing it advertised online. It was in excellent condition, as described by seller. I've previously owned two analog Triton IVs, but like the digital model best since it does away with common problems with dial cords. Previous owner had rebuilt the PTO, the most troublesome part of this model. It had also been tuned up and the receiver is sensitive, but quiet. I get many good reports on its transmit audio. It's so refreshing to operate, with no menus or buttons, just knobs and switches. The one thing I dislike is having the microphone socket on the back, but it's a minor annoyance. I'm going to hold onto this one.

M0MBD Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 07:05 Send this review to a friend
This rig is a classic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked this radio up from a Ham that wanted to sell his old equipment. This was the rig I knew nothing about. I took it home to try & thought it was broken as it was so quiet.

Weak link is the VFO mechanism which was seized and a few switches that were a little intermittent, but after getting it serviced it was fine. 200w of clear audio on SSB and some of the best reports I have received for any radio.

It certainly needs driving and there are a few knobs to twiddle to get the best out of it. After switching bands, you have to adjust the resonate setting, and setting up the output is a combination of setting the ALC for output and drive for Mic gain.

If you have only ever used the new fangled synthesised boxes from Yaecom then this radio is an epiphany. The single conversion receiver is so quite and there is not the plethora or artefacts induced by digital circuitry. The frequency display is basically a frequency counter.

The guy wanted me to sell it, but I have ended up keeping it myself and is my favourite radio for a ragchew on 40m.

Old school radio at it's best & no tubes!

KD8OTT Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Awesome radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this radio and did a comparison with Corsair 2 and Ic7410 there is none. This radio hands down is the best radio I have ever used. CW hands down the best and SSB just as good of reports than my other radios. The radio is simple and has a very hot receiver, the corsair is good but this is better by far. Ten Tec you want to make some money rebuild this radio exactly the way it is now !

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2014 21:05 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
AN INCREDIBLE RADIO ...SSB AUDIO SOUNDS LIKE AM...
CW A JOY TO USE...A NOISE BLANKER THAT WORKS ...A CW FILTER THAT WORKS... OTHER THAN PLACING A COUPLE OF DROPS OF TEFLON OIL DOWN THE PTO SHACK THIS RADIO IS GREAT... I CANT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON A TEN TEC EAGLE ...
HAVE A TS930 FT897 FT857 ...THIS ONE BEATS THEM ALL...REALLY
73...

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
fine older rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
nice audio,great cw,few controls and a great zero beat feature plus its a Ten Tec and can still be serviced by the factory.What more needs to be said.I know no warc, bells or whistles.

WD8CYV Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
owned since jan 1977

one of the best radios you can own
have had this one 37 years

hundreds of hours on rtty in the 70s and 80s

only problem was the grease dried up in the PTO
its on the work bench being fixed
its a mechanical thing and not for the all thumbs
kind of guy
recommend as a nice radio
and a cheap one will all most always need the PTO
grease removed and replaced

WA4GQG Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Almost beyond belief!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the incredible fortune to acquire a Triton IV Digital a couple of years ago at an extremely good price! (It did come with a Model 262G power supply.) It's noise blanker EASILY KILLS POWER LINE NOISE...much to my immense relief and satisfaction!!! CW DXing and ragchewing are fantastic (even with simple wire antennas!) and I've recently been even more astounded with SSB DX QSOs at 100 watts and a low dipole. (A Brit said: "You've got crackin' audio; Don't change a thing!!!" while I was using my trusty old 520SL in concert with the Triton IV!!!)

Alas, it does NOT allow WARC band coverage...

K4YRK Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2012 16:35 Send this review to a friend
A nice little 'gem' from the 70's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned a Ten Tec Triton IV back in the early 70's and had good memories of a fine rig. I just purchased another one at the Dalton hamfest this spring, 2012. It is in good shape and is working very well. It brings back good memories and even though I now have a "top of the line" Orion II, this little gem does well in comparison on receive and transmit in both phone and CW. I recommend you pick one up if you can find a working one.

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2011 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Where is the Band Noise!?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have now played with my Triton IV for 3 weeks now. Found it on, of all places, Craigslist. Joy of Joy it had Triton IV on the front not Model 544 (freaking Motorola). It s a very low serial number (023xx) and had the needed VFO mod already done. The rig came with ALL but one accessory TT put out for the rig. These included the 240 160 converter, 215P "Banana" mic es stand, 212 es 213 10M crystals, 249 Noise blanker, 245 150 Hz CW filter, 242 remote VFO, 247 tuner, 262M power supply/VOX unit/speaker, TT amp meter, 1140 magnetic circuit breaker AND 625 keyer.

The Digital Display is really great and easy to read with Big Numbers you can read from any angle and from across the room too!

The RX on this rig is so quiet I was worried at first that the rig was broken. First antenna was a random wire the 247 had no problem tuning. I made a dipole fed with twinlead and still was to quiet, or so I thought. I now have several different antennas up and compared side by side with 2 other TX/RX rigs and a RX'er it has, hands down, the best RX'er. Do have to make sure the resonant circuit is tuned correctly to help RX signals and image rejection. Used to this though as I have a Swan 400 too and if the Tank isn't resonant RX signals are way down.

TX audio is the best of the 3 HF rigs I have and maybe better then any I have ever owned EVER, IF it is adjusted correctly according to the manual. Using the ALC circuit properly and adjusting the drive to just light the ALC indicator yields Perfect audio. By perfect I mean audio that sounds just like me. HIHI.

RF output is in the range of 80-100 watts but no way to judge relative output of the rig except by using the AMP meter, but if the the Drive and ALC are adjusted per the manual, it will be close to 100 watts. Adjusting the drive level back you can vary the PO to as low as 3 watts on my rig. Has a bulit in SWR meter.

I have never had a rig with the capability of FULL BREAK IN CW. I have fallen in love with this feature. For the CW op this rig is incredible. The main CW2 position on the mode switch is standard CX RX CW1 switches in the 150Hz cw filter (optional). Nice! Has a Zero Beat feature on a pull knob this is so much easier then trying to do it by ear trust me.

ALL of the accessories work FB. The PTO in the VFO does need to be rebuilt. BUY THE KIT frm TT don't do it on your own.

The 262M power supply adds the capability of VOX to an already great rig. It also includes a very nice external speaker and headphone jack on it as well. Connections are straight forward for hooking up VOX and the external spkr.

Rear panel connection make hooking a PSK interface,an amp or just about anything easy and straight forward.

THE CONS:
For the modern Appliance operator this may not be the best radio for you. You will have to resonate the receiver with a well marked knob on the front of the radio, it's not just turn it on and tune in.

No WARC. 160M needs a converter and yields about 75 watts out MAX. This is perfect for driving an amp though.

The aforementioned SWR meter. The only reason this is a con is that no relative PO meter. I have come to rely on these on my other radios. or Ip on my Swan. SWR reads when the radio is keyed CAL is automatic and it is accurate. This kept TT from having a meter in the 247 tuner.

Mic plug on the BACK of the radio. Need a slightly longer cord.

What can I say, as a stand alone, the Triton IV is really a great pleasure to operate. Doesn't have the bells and whistles that more modern rigs have BUT it also doesn't have the problems inherit to those rigs. If you can get one DO IT. If you can get one with any or all accessories DO THAT it is worth damn near every penny you would pay for it.

WK8V Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2010 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have a Ten Tec Triton IV/544 that my parents purchased for me back in 1978. I installed the optional CW filter, NB and crystals for full 10M coverage. Due to some UPS shipping damage, I had to contact the Ten Tec service department soon after the rig arrived. They helped me troubleshoot the damage and sent me replacement circuit boards at no charge. The rig has performed flawlessly for me since.

The 544 is a great choice for a new ham. Band changes require only peaking receive signals with the Resonate switch and tuning the antenna. If you use a TT power supply such as the 262M, power will shut down (protecting the finals) to prevent transmitting into an excessive SWR.

The receiver is very sensitive, quiet and great for DX work. I did add a Autek QF-1A audio filter a few years ago and it compliments the rig very well. I've operated numerous contests and completed WAS, WAC and DXCC with the 544. I also like to operate QRP and the 544 allows adjusting output power to <5W without modifications.

Though I mostly operate CW, the 544 is also very solid on SSB. I consistently receive very good audio reports using a Shure handheld microphone. I recently rebuilt the PTO (which is more of a mechanical than electrical task) and the dial feels like new again.

I can't think of any other product I've owned this long and still enjoy using on a regular basis.