Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Triton IV (540) Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Triton IV (540)
Ten-Tec Triton IV (540) Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: A basic HF rig, circa late 1970s.
More info: http://www.tentec.com/

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Triton IV (540).

KB3MTV Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2006 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this rig from a local ham friend, and even before I turned the radio on, I knew it would be an amazing rig! But, the radio came a minor problem. The VFO seized up. So a quick dab at it with some contact cleaner and lubrication opened it right up! Also, I got the external VFO unit and the external digital readout and they work great as well. If you ever come across one at a ham-fest buy it! You will NOT be sorry!

73!
DE KB3MTV

WB2JNA Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2005 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Really a classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Triton for four years now, and I think it's a real surprise of a nice radio. They're quite inexpensive on the used market, yet deliver plenty of fun both on CW, where they really shine, and on SSB as well. I've even used it on PSK and RTTY. They're simple to use, fun to operate, and affordable. They're also pretty easy to work on, and Ten Tec has great customer service. Just call them up and a tech will come to the phone and help you troubleshoot your rig. I think it deserves a 5 because, for it's price class, as a used radio, it's great.

K3ZXY Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2005 05:09 Send this review to a friend
A classic and fun radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Triton 540 new in 1977 and loved it. Then, a few years later, life changes made me drop out of ham radio and sell everything. During vacation in 2004 I was smitten to return to ham radio. I practiced the code, passed my extra and found a 540 for sale on the Internet. The old classic looked like new but the band switch had not moved for years, the PTO lube had gummed up and the pulleys for the string dial had bound up. I got the dial working fine but decided to send the rig to Ten-Tec for a renewal. It came back just like new and works wonderfully. I have done two things to bring this classic into the new millennium. The incandescent lamps have that “old” yellow look so I replaced them all with white LED’s. It gives the radio a whole new look. Although the internal CW filter is quite good, this radio really benefits from the addition of the SCAF-1 filter from Idiom Press. This radio is definitely a 5 in performance and fun!

W2RBA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2003 23:39 Send this review to a friend
A Classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a used Triton IV some time ago and it worked ok though it had been heavily slimed by a smoker (yuck)...but it reminded me of the first rig I used (had my license for some 13 years at the time) at the club station of W4UVA (UVa -- University of Virginia) in 1977, and it was a great feeling. So good was it, in fact, that I recently acquired a second 540/Triton IV which is in pretty good shape -- full output on all bands, good SSB and CW receive AND transmit, and is even pretty good cosmetically. This radio was an eye-opener for me: I had only just heard of Ten-Tec and admired their Argonaut 509 but wasn't aware that they were selling a serious radio as well. Well, the Triton IV was a fantastic introduction: quiet on receive (though plenty sensitive) and a spare yet functional panel with plenty of room for fat fingers around knobs. The only down side is the AF-derived AGC which pops (not as badly as the Argonaut or Argosy does) when tuning across a strong signal. This classic, though, is truly a keeper.

KF3EG Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2003 22:40 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Ten Tec 540 for my son, married with kids and I figured I would get him something to get him back on the air.
I found the rig at a fair price with the 262g power supply, well I got it home and it lit up, found the switch next to the so239 on back was bad, so I replaced it. I ran the rig to make sure it was ok and used it for about 2 weeks, I was amazed at the reports I received and the receive on this old rig is great. I worked France first contact on 75 meter with just the rig.
I kept the 540 here and sent my son the Yaesu FT 920 I had that I hated from day one.
After 39 years of being a ham on and off, I finally got a RADIO I enjoy so much that I just bought the Orion, Should have bought Ten Tec years ago and my hamming would not have been on and off. Ten Tec works on their old rigs , not like the Yaesu or Kenwood who leave you in the dark after a time with no parts or service on older radio's.
Ten Tec is American and I was in their plant last year and they all speak english ! and want to help you !
My hats off to Ten Tec
My pants down to Japan (the royal Moon)

KA2IWR Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2003 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Good rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I suppose if this was 1980 I would have to give this radio a 5 but, as I've only owned it one day, a 5 would be premature. I picked this radio up at a hamfest today and now, after listening to it for about 4 hours, am very pleased with it. I don't like the analog dial but then again, its a basic rig with few bells and whistles. Which I have never used on any radio. For the price I paid for it, around $150.00 I can't imagine anything better. The receiver is quite nice and though the rig tends to drift a bit, after a while, it does stabilize....mostly. But then again, the last radio I bought was an older Heathkit tube radio and I sometimes feel like I should attach a steering wheel to the VFO to keep it on frequency.

I was also lucky to get the radio with the extra 10 meter crystals and the cw filters installed.

All in all, I have no qualms about paying the low amount of money for what appears to be a nice, basic radio with Ten-Tec willing to stand behind their products.

K8DE Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2002 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Pleasant  Time owned: more than 12 months
My memories of this radio are mostly pleasant. The mechanics looked a bit cheezy, but the radio really worked well. This was in many ways the radio that made CW function quality a goal again. Very pleasant on CW, great QSK, no thumping, nothing missed between characters. It was OK on ssb too, but that wasn't where it starred.

Also a wonderfully easy radio to work on, supplemented by Ten Tec's *enlightened* warranty policy. They didn't smack you upside your head if you opened the box -- it didn't terminate a warranty. If you couldn't fix it, or didn't want to, a phone call to a serviceman would identify the problem board, and 9 times out of 10, they would UPS one to you right then, you'd plug in the new one when it arrived and send the old back to them and you were usually fine.

Huh. What a concept, eh?

N5XM Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2002 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Can you spell fun?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a fun radio! I don't care that it is pushing 30 years old. For what it is, and how well it works without any of the "can't do without" modern bells and whistles, I am forced to give it a "5". It is a little quirky at times, yes, and I don't feel right pushing it very hard even if the folks in Tennessee went through it last year, but darnit, it's as much fun to use as my Corsair II, my Omni VI+, my Century 21 ( do you see a trend here? ), and on days when I'm in the mood, I'll use it instead of my FT-1000 MP. Notice I didn't say it outperformed any of these other rigs, but it has a "Fun Factor" equal to any of them, and that, boys and girls, is what this whole hobby is supposed to be about. Now, my next problem is to decied which Ten Tec radio to rescue from the scrap heap of time next, hi.

ZIPPO Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2001 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Super Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could have spent much more on a fancy new radio, but why bother when I frequently bust pileups before operators with radios costing 10 times more than mine! I get great audio and signal reports, the radio has superb QSK, and it's easy to set up for digital operation. Also, Ten Tec did an incredible job bringing this rig back to life(I got it used, and in sad shape). It's like I just bought it new off the shelf.

KO6Z Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2001 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig Overall - Great receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Compared to today's radios this one is very basic, which also translates to simple to use (that's good). And, what it does it does very well. In 32 years as a ham and more HF rigs of all brands than I can remember, this one has the best receiver of them all. I expect to use it for quite awhile even if it is 20 plus years old.