Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | ADMS-4B Help

Reviews Summary for ADMS-4B
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $25.00
Description: Programming Software for the FT-857/857D and FT-897/987D
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com

You can write your own review of the ADMS-4B.

WV0L Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2013 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Product a must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a new FT-897D along with the ADMS-4BU programming software. I must say I am impressed.
The software loaded fine on my Windows 7 64 bit machine, the CD even had a “necessary” update that was installed as part of the install process. (The update, ADMS-4BU, might be why some others have an issue with Windows 7)
The connection to the radio was flawless in both directions.
I used cut and paste to add much of the data and that also work. A bit different than a normal cut and paste, as you first have to allow the software to divide the “pasted” data into columns (much like converting text data to columns in EXCEL). Then you select (for each pasted data column) which column in the software it is to overlay (receiving frequency, offset direction …), including a none option, that ignores the column.
The program even correct mistakes like trying to fit a 20 character name for a memory location into the only 8 characters that you are allowed. I must say it doesn’t tell you about it and that can lead to duplicate names, but an export of the data (CSV format) and an easy correction is possible.
As I didn’t connect the FT-897D and receive the configuration from the radio before I added information for the memory locations and I did receive a surprise. The manual did say the just save your data so you don’t lose it – I did that. But I after I read the information from the radio I went back to my save memory location updates file and downloaded the information. What I didn’t expect is the color “mode” was changed from what the radio had before, as would any other changes you might had made before download. Not hard things to reset, just a surprise.
So my hint is “receive the data from the radio first” (save the file) and then update that file. More a first time thing as later I would expect most people would upload a new file from the radio, update that one and then push it back to the radio.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 04:25 Send this review to a friend
A great program for my FT 897D and the FT 857D  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great program and a great addition for both the FT 897D and the 857D. This program was a determining factor for my buying both transceivers. It works flawlessly with my laptop and my desktop both running XP and one another desktop running Vista OS's. The program has features that are available that I don't currently need. The tech support is second to none. Both husband and wife are extremely knowledgeable, polite and easy to contact. They were quick to send me out a newer version of the program without any charge. Thank You RT Systems.

de AJ4RW Randy Woods

K6PCW Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2009 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Crashes Windows 7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this software successfully on Windows 95 and Windows XP, but today, after installing Windows 7 on my computer, I installed the ADMS-4B software, which installed ok, but when it was about finished reading my 857D, it crashed the computer (Blue screen of...). Repeated attempts yielded same results. Uninstalled the ADMS-4b, then reinstalled, but same problem again.

I'd like to hear stories (and solutions, hopefully) from others who've tried this with Windows 7.

N4CQR Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2008 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Works As Advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased more or less as a accessory for my FT-897. Reports of the software being picky about USB/Serial interface cables is unfound here. Used the software and cable with a very old (Radio Shack circa early '90s) USB to Serial interface (on COM 9) and eveythigng worked fine. Software also works fine with a virety of USB CAT cables available on eBay.

In a nutshell, good product and good functionality.