Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Aether (Logger) by Andrew Madsen Help

Reviews Summary for Aether (Logger) by Andrew Madsen
Aether (Logger) by Andrew Madsen Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$39.00
Description: Aether is a ham radio logging application for Mac OS X. Aether includes tools
to quickly and easily log QSOs while on the air, as well as organize, search
and track your QSOs later. Aether was designed for Mac OS X, and has the
same kind of clean, intuitive, friendly interface you've come to expect on the
Mac.
More info: http://www.aetherlog.com/

You can write your own review of the Aether (Logger) by Andrew Madsen.

N8XMS Rating: 3/5 Aug 15, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Good product but bad support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I switched over to an Apple iMac computer from a Windows machine a little over a year ago so I went on the hunt for some new logging software. I don’t operate any digital modes and I don’t use computer control of my rig so those features did not need to be considered. I tried to carefully research the different options and settled on Aether. It looked like it would do everything that I needed and at $39 the price was reasonable. I used Aether for about a year and here are my impressions:

As a logging program I would rate it over a 3 and closer to a 4. It does a good job of keeping your basic station log and includes automatic callsign lookup from QRZ.com or HamQTH. It also will do uploads and downloads with eQSL and LoTW. Awards tracking is somewhat limited but I already have enough wallpaper so that wasn’t a problem. Data entry is intuitive and logically laid out and the fields that are actually displayed in the log table are under your control. The learning curve for the program is not to big and you can be up and running in a relatively short amount of time. I was especially pleased to see that it imported the ADIF file from my old windows software (Logger32) without a hitch, and this included the unusual situation of having both a “notes” field and a “comments” field which Aether automatically merged together.

There are only two functionality items that I would say are weak. First is the fact that I often operate QRPp but the “power” field in Aether will not accept decimal values so I had to either enter my power as 0 watts or 1 watt. The second issue is that the database searching utility is very limited and I could never figure out how to do a compound search like finding “QRP and CW and QSL received,” even though each of those items is recorded in the database.

If that was it, there would be a “4” on the top of this review but I also need to talk about product support. When I was first looking at Aether I had some questions and so I emailed Andrew. Within a day I had a reply saying that he was on a trip in Africa with limited email service and that he would respond to my questions when he returned. And sure enough he did just that. That would be a “5” in my book but unfortunately there is more. Since then I have twice contacted him about various issues (all related to LoTW). The first time his reply was very slow in coming and I actually solved my problem on my own before he got back to me. More recently I was having trouble getting an LoTW renewal certificate to install and after two emails and several weeks of waiting I gave up. He never did respond, not even with a “sorry I don’t know why you are having this issue, contact the ARRL” or something like that. I call that a “1” and I am now using an outstanding product called RUMLogNG.

K3JRZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2015 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Great, but no support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read all of the reviews of Aether and MacLoggerDX and played around with the unregistered versions of both of them. I did like Aether a lot better. MacLogger seemed a little too complicated and I couldn't get the lookup info to completely appear from any source. So I dropped $40 for Aether directly from the website.

I had emailed Andrew (dev) a few times and he had gotten back to me real quick. I last heard from him in March 2015 (after purchasing it for about a month by then). I had found a bug or two and we solve them together. He then asked if I would beta test future direct download versions for him (I do software QA testing at work so It seemed like a win-win situation). I told him I'd be glad to.

After another 2 months I emailed Andrew back about beta testing and plans for adding support for the Yaesu FT-991 radio for Aether's rig control in future versions (had finally bought the FT-991 as my HF radio). No reply. I waited a few more weeks and sent another email. Again, no reply. I even tried to get hold of Andrew on Twitter and nothing.

I don't know what's going on, but if you don't support your software or stop updating it then you should stop selling it.

I'm currently re-looking at MacLoggerDX, but still not thrilled with it.

It's sad to see good software get abandoned. I hope that Andrew returns soon.

If you can deal with no updates and no support, then I would recommend Aether. If you enjoy new updates that fix bugs and a developer(s) that respond to you in a timely fashion, look elsewhere.

If I hear anything from Andrew, I'll update this review.

73.

K5ICW Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2014 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Easy Apple Simplicity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this software through Apple. It is simple and straightforward and does the job in a workman like fashion. It takes a little time at first to figure out the ins and outs. Lots of experimental button pushing is required to get a sense of how everything works.

The BIG MINUS is there is no apparent product support. I e-mailed the vendor with a few simple questions and received NO RESPONSE.

For what it is worth department-- SkookumLogger is a free software that is about as good and easy to use as Aether Logger. Aether Software has a little easier learning curve though but not by much.

When using a PC I found the N3FjP the best and easiest basic contesting software around.

That's my opinion and some may disagree.

VK3BGS Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2014 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Just missing one thing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Aether is a great logger no doubt about that. Its the best I have found for OS X. It gets information from the QRZ XML server and also frequency, mode and power from my TS590S, leaving me to only fill in the call sign, signal reports and any comments. How easy is that.! I have only found one issue that has not been addressed so far and that is entering details for a QSL manager or route. Have found a work around for this but its somewhat of a pain to do. All other features are great and work well. Like others I only wish for more amateur related software for OS X.

K1CNF Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a Mac user, I am often frustrated with the lack of options available to Hams, but this software installs and runs great! Performs as described. Downloads easily from the App store. Uploaded my adif files easily. Once I corrected some LoTW issues on my end, it automatically updates info to both LoTW and eQSL. I think it stays true to form with a lot of the Mac interface features. Very pleased.

K0FNS Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Works Flawlessly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It installed easily and works great on my Macbook Air under OSX Lion. I especially like the fact that it will upload to LOTW and EQSL with a single mouse click! It shows how many times I have worked a station, and will look up the info on QRZ.com. Many features and a great price!
I downloaded it via the App Store, so my computer checks for updates too! It also imported my log from a windows program.

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous logging program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many logging programs over the years and I must say, this one has to be one of the best. I chose it because I needed one to run on my iMac. Previously I was using Windows or Linux-based computers. The program downloaded and installed flawlessly and imported ALL my previous qso's - something most other logging programs have failed to do. At least not without heaps of errors that I would have to manually correct.

The only trouble I had initially was getting LoTW set up to sync automatically. This was't the fault of the program but my certificates from the AARL. And to be fair to them, they answered my queries on the turn and supplied me with a brand new certificate that 'just loaded' into Aether with one click of the mouse. Most impressive.

Also most impressive was the attention Andrew gave me while I was figuring out how to solve this glitch. What more can one ask for? A true gentleman and great to do business with.

I am very pleased with my decision to use this program.

M0AZE Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2012 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great progress  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this logging program for some time. Andrew is very responsive to 'good' feedback. Given time this will outclass other Mac logging programs. It's straight forward to use - I have not integrated with my txcvr yet.

If you own a Mac and looking for something that's straightforward with lots of bells and whistles - this is for you. Great price as well.

K1GDI Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 21:25 Send this review to a friend
This is all a Mac operator needs .  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this program for 24 months now and after two e mails to Andrew, which he answered within an hour including Christmas Day I am very pleased. Enjoy the award logging feature and the distance and direction indication for my beam headings. Instant dupe indicator and eqsl and lotw work great.
Mac software for ham radio is not as abundant as the pc but I don't know what else I am missing.
I think he is giving it away for $39.

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic program - Fantastic support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a user of Aether for around 18 months, and have to say that Andrew and the Aether team offer not only an absolutely first class product, but amazing support if there are any issues or you have any feature requests.

Keep up the great work, it's wonderful to see such a great product enabling our hobby on the Mac platform.... Just brilliant.