Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | Harbach Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for Harbach Electronics
Harbach Electronics Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Great source for amplifier parts and kits
More info: http://www.harbachelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the Harbach Electronics.

W0EAJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2016 11:02 Send this review to a friend
good quality, with a couple of direction issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed several mods to a Heath SB-220 for a friend/customer, and while the boards were first class, the directions leave a couple of holes which would be satisfied by a simple picture or diagram. Also, having to "hog out" the holes in the capacitor bank separators is downright UNPROFESSIONAL, and poses a distinct risk to a builder whose tools might not be sharp; i.e. "suggesting" that you should use a knife or razor blade - that kind of thing can get you sued by the wrong kind of person. I ALSO had 2 bad screws with the cap-bank... they had no plating (no biggie), but had bad threads. I used others I had on-hand. I'd also suggest (on the direction sheets AND on the web-page) that the rectifier/metering board be installed AT THE SAME TIME as the capacitor bank - reason? You have to get to the screwheads on the INSIDE of the cap-bank cover, and it's a PITA to loosen it up (and unsolder those wires) all over again. On the soft-start installation - hot glue? Are you kidding me? There is room for 2 standoffs near the outer-rail, 2 small holes (catch the chaff), 4 small screws, and you have a NEAT installation that won't come loose, eventually, AND it keeps the relay vent-ports OFF of the chassis (his warning). Oh, and let's not forget the fan-motor - his directions involve extra hardware - not necessary with the motor WE got - it has threaded standoffs already cast into the FRONT bearing carrier, so simply move the front to the back, back to front, and install the screws so the heads clear the fanblade. NOW you can install it with the original Heath hardware, which is markedly better (I added some extra lube to the bearings, as they didn't have enough). OTHER THAN THAT, good stuff. Just needs a little Q/C followup.

N9XTF Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2015 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Electronic Specialties ES4L4-B Soft Start / Soft Key / Bias   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two days ago, I removed my etched homebrew bias board and installed the Electronic Specialties bias, soft start, soft key board. This is a wonderfully designed, well thought out and well documented device. As Drake owners, we are extremely lucky to have folks that continue to support our aging radio gear.

The board has a 2.5 second soft start with a slight audible click that notifies the user that the amplifier is ready to operate. This helps take the stress off the power supply components as well as the tube filaments at power up.

The soft key is incorporated reducing the keying voltage and current at the VOX connector. I measured 11VDC at 10ma. This makes my SS rigs ( yes i now have a couple) very happy without the need for a keying interface. One of the best things that i noticed is the 24VDC supplied to the T/R relay is fully rectified. The relay is now much quieter and engages and disengages in the same time frame each transmission. Prior to installing the board, the T/R relay did not engage as quickly and did not disengage the same each time. There is a noticeable difference ( I do not have a millisecond measurement but you can definitely hear the difference).

The bias selection allows the user to to modify the resting current to reduce the wasted heat generated in the tubes.

I have the L4 version, so there is slight variations from the documentation but it still was very easy to install and I feel it is a great addition to a wonderful amplifier.

Doug - N9XTF

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2015 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Multi-Key Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this interface to use with my TR7 and some other radios. The kit went together perfectly and came with a nice case and can key any amp/radio with this.

I have the second production unit and general questions to Jeff were answered promptly.
Great interface and great company.

Glenn, VE6ND

YV3EDO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just installed Harbach kit por AC/4 power supply.
product is made with very good quality components and assemblying instructions are straigh forward.

Once turned my old TR-4C on, old "hum" did vanish..

PE1HZG Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a SB220 a few years back. Purchased a number of Harback upgrades for it: meter board, capacitors, fan, soft start, soft key, etc.The kits are excellent, but there is better news.

For reasons unrelated to the amp of the kit, I have been unable to complete / integrate the upgrades then, got distracted by other things like work and house.

I recently started working on the amp, and unfortunately found that one screw of one of the capacitors had damaged threads. This is a problem - I'm in the Netherlands, we use metric, not imperial screws.

The amp was also missing hardware for the interlock, which I wanted to restore during the renovation.

I sent mail, and Jeff responded immediately and sent replacement screws and the other hardware I did not find. No charge, and that includes no charge for shipping to the Netherlands.

His service is second to none. Highly recommended. Thanks Jeff!

Geert Jan PE1HZG

WA4SKY Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2013 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this L4B amp from the original owner who passed away and his son just sold it to me. The amp was seated on a shelf for quite some time and even though was fully operative the PS was running quite hot after several months of use. So, taken into consideration that the amp has never been serviced and it was around forty something years old I decided to replace the caps along with the diodes and resistors.
I got the replacement kit from Harbach Electronics, since is the best deal for your money and pretty straight forward mod.
It took me about two hours to assemble everything and install it. Components are top notch and really easy to follow the instructions step by step.
Now my amp's PS runs way much cooler and I can rest assured that the amp is going to run several more years.
I really recommend this conversion kit to all of those that are looking for a top of the line components with an unbeatable price range.

KA9P Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished installing the soft start, soft key, and HV power supply kits in my half a century old L4B. Everything fit, quality great, instructions were clear, and when I left a voicemail asking a question got a call from Jeff in an hour.

And everything worked first time.

Can't do any better than that!

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2012 11:37 Send this review to a friend
great kit and support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1978 SB220 I built now has the fan,rectifier/meter board, capacitor kit, and soft start kit. Great quality components and detailed instructions. The parts are in kit form and although they are not heath kit style assembly(guiding you hand in hand)still with basic electronics knowledge you can assemble them. I had one issue with no cathode bias when everything was buttoned up, but just resoldered the rectifier board again and replace the B- wire with a heavier one and it came up.As far as support I had checked an sb200 fan on my order form by mistake (everything else was sb220, and Jeff called me to verify which fan I wanted, since he saw the other components were sb220.That's nice service!!!

W8RID Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Great upgades and replacements  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used all of Jeff's upgrades and other parts for my Drake L-4B Amp. I have installed the SK-401 Soft Key Module. I have installed the SS-400A Soft Start Module. Most recently I have rebuilt the power supply with Jeff's PM-400A Replacement Power Supply Module. During the rebuild I replaced all the other parts that I could replace while I had it down that far.

Jeff's instructions on all the kits were very clear and descriptive. All the Kits installed with ease and no problems.

If you need parts for your Drake L-4B Amp give Jeff a call!!!

Highly recommended!!!!

4S7NS Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 18:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I JUST COMPLETED FITTING THE PW200 PS BOAD AND THE SOFT START COMBO, SS201 MODULE WITH GREAT CARE AND VERY SLOWLY. PASTING THE SS201 WAS A LITTLE CHALLENGE WHICH WAS CLEARED. THE AMP WORKS BEAUTIFULLY. AS SPARES AREDIFFICULT IN 4S7 LAND I INTEND GETTING SOME OTHER SPARES FOR THE SB200. JUST EXCELLENT THANS 4S7NS