Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-902DM Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-902DM
Yaesu FT-902DM Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Yaesu FT-902DM
Description: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft902dm/specs.htm
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft902dm/ft902dm.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-902DM.

MW0HRD Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2005 18:45 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned my FT902DM for about 16 months and for its age had only the usual problems when i first got the radio relays switches etc nothing much. I have worked the world on it and would not part with it never had a bad report the audio is superb. with 100w out I paid 150 you cannot go wrong. I would recomend this radio to anyone. but do not get one if you dont like to plate & load
73 to you all Chris S-Wales

PY3KT Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2004 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I appreciate so much this type of equipment, therefore as a friend said: "tube radios have soul". Excellent receiver and trustworthy transmitter, with good quality of audio. It is between my preferring, because remembers my old Yaesu FT101-ZD and it adds quality in all the directions.
73 and greetings from Brazil
PY3KT - Joel Costa

VE8NSD Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 11:27 Send this review to a friend
I like mine, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine as part of a package deal with the phone patch, ant tuner, VFO, and 'scope.
The Astatic D104 really makes the audio sound good. I received a lot of unsolicited compliments on my TX audio.
I saw an Inrad SSB filter on eBay, bought it, and love it. The transformation is literally like having a different (better) receiver. Really incredible. BUT the drawback is that the receive audio now is "communications" quality instead of "high fidelity".

G1EUZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2004 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Radios, the ICOM 718 and the FT-902DM.

It took me 12 Months to refurbish the 902DM fully, I bought it with several parts missing, and managed to track them down via the web. Now I cannot leave it alone.

A useful link for the counter board replacement chip is here:

also check out the 901/902dm group on yahoo:

The modern Icom rig is great for fast fun, but for that lamplight and heater glow, I keep returning to the 902DM. Alignment can be tricky, but when you get it right - it's great.

Mick

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2002 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: months
After a 20 year break from the hobby I started collecting Yaesu FT rigs of this vintage in 2002. Maybe its my age but for me they are easier to repair.

I couldn't turn down my FT902DM, with phone patch speaker and FC902..almost unmarked!!. Output pwer was low on all bands (less than 70Watts) compared to my 101ZD's and this was quickly traced to a defective OP tube, now well over 100W on the lower bands. The Receiver is excellent with a very low noise floor. One of the main differences to the 901 is the diode first mixer (instead of FETs), also many of the Yaesu 901 mods are fitted. The 10 second tune up timer can be annoying for old hands who can tune up tube rigs without it. Memory is basic, but useful for checking back on stations on the band you are on.

The 902DM has AM and FM options fitted, the narrow CW filter was I think an option, but with the Audio Peak Filter its a pretty good CW rig

I'm certain there is no 902DM workshop manual just the 901 manual with an addendum for the 902.

Also very heavy compared to tiny modern rigs. As they say.. its a keeper!!

G3ZPS London UK

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2002 09:54 Send this review to a friend
A classic all-mode rig for great ssb and cw  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used an FT-901DM (see my other review) for 23 years and love it. In fact, I still use it as a back up station on a regular basis.

So, two years ago, when I came across a complete, like-new 902 station, for sale at a ham fest, I couldnt resist. I agree with all the other 902 commentaries. Its a quality durable professional grade xcvr with great flexibility and multimode operation. It excels on ssb and cw.

I too stumbled a bit when trying to align it due to errors andomissions in the owners manual. ( what Yaesu did was a poor job of updating the FT-901DM manual to cover WARC band alignment procedures.) But after one stumble, and a day or two to regroup, I added the missing steps, and completed the neutralization/alignment- with terrific results.

MY 902 had been modified for cb use, so watch out for this. But it is a simple matter of ordering replacement xtals ( 4) and tweaking BOTH the XTAL Unit and the VCO unit to restore normal output on 10M.

This remains an exceptional rig andhas held up amazingly well for its age.

de Bob W3HKK

WU6Q Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2001 12:53 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Performer !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 902DM is a good solid radio, built to last. Having the WARC bands, offering split operation and AM/FM, make it a very versatile radio. It's through whole technology, pretty easy to work on, however, alignment is critical. The manual I have which identifies the respective coils and caps to adjust for the transmitter and receiver is in error. Once I figured it out, the radio is working great. One strong feature is the built in 120VAC supply, no external power supply needed. I have another plug to operate from a battery 12VDC supply if needed. Also remember the USB and LSB are 3 kHz apart, so when you flip over to the other side-band you'll need to retune 3 kHz unlike the newer equipment. The "tune" button is a much better idea than the Kenwood tune mode of having to rotate a knob through all the different modes, with the 902 you can just push the button to tune and it kicks off by itself thus helping save your finals. It's a lot of radio and ergonomically laid out well. 73.......tom

JK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2001 15:10 Send this review to a friend
This is a good receiver (and hopefully a good transmitter)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hi
i never knew until today when i saw this webpage, how briliant this transceiver really is.
i saw mine for sale at a radio rally for 145 and i did have second thoughts about buying it (which i should not of had),but the price was right so i bought it. I have tried it out on receive and seems a good receiver, i am still waiting ( un-patiently) to try it out on transmit mode, but i need a good antenna so i hope the transceiver is briliant at transmitting and wont let me down....
its solidly built and has a good range of frequenceys but as someone pointed out before it does not cover the full band of frequenceys(0-30 Mhz) so this is a bit disapointing. but im planning to buy another transceiver to do this for me.
its dual display makes it easier to tune compared to older setups which just have a analogue display, Its got a good selection of modes for each band (god knows what FSK stands for!).
i never knew that it had a built in keyer so this makes my expectations of it a little higher than before.
im hoping to get a good selection of QSL's from all over the world.

73's for now

JK

P.S if anyone has any Antenna suggestions for me please email me at JK@netking.20m.com

N5JNX Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2000 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Howdy to ALL,

This is just my opinion. As you know, we all view an empty glass differently. I will start with the cons first and then the pros. I know, most would like to hear the pros first.

The CONS:

Try finding the extender boards (hee hee). Although not necessary, they make it a breeze for aligning, repairing, and troubleshooting.

Misprints in the operations manual. Be very careful, because you could really mess things up. The operations manual does not appear to provide any instructions on how to align the WARC bands. Eventually, I will develope a procedure and post it on one of the newsgroups.

There was never a service manual that I know of that was created for the FT-902DM.

Hybrid transceiver-meaning you are required to peak the preselector, dip the plate, and then increase the loading. This will result in the transmitter/receiver section being resonant and providing maximum power on transmit and receive, provided your stages are aligned correctly. One way to peak the preselector is to use the marker on the front panel of the transceiver.

No general coverage receiver. Perhaps the deciding factor between a true SWLer and a Ham?

The PROS:

If you can find one, this is the one to buy. I recently sold my TS-940S/AT for the FT-902DM. I perfer the FT-902DM.

I like the quality of the audio (some say the receive audio appears basey).

When working CW, the audio peak filter is excellent. For me, I don't need an additional filter; however, some folks like FoxTango Filters and Yaesu may disagree.

The width/reject controls are pretty neat for getting rid of adjacent frequency interference. I would like to eventually try a filter for this to see what sort of difference it makes. So I may be knocking on FoxTango's or Yaesu's door pretty soon.

Single channel VFO, try getting this feature on a TS520, TS530, TS820, or TS830. I don't think you will find it built in as with the FT-902/901 DM series radio. No fixed crystals required. You will be able to operate 10 meter FM repeaters and split operation on all bands; however, it does not appear to work crossband.

Built in CW keyer. Need I say more for those that believe in the power of dits and dots.

AM is clean on transmit as well as receive. Don't have the power to compete with the big guns on 10 or 80. But when the opportunity presented itself on 10, guys thought I was running some old Globe King job.

Well, that ends my review of the FT-902 DM. Now for the fun stuff-The Accesories.

Using the transverter (FTV-901R) is a pleasure. The only thing I have to do now is go into the FT-902DM and connect my tone board. Once this is done, I will sell my little all mode 2 meter radio.

The only thing left for me to do, is locate a FV-901DM- The VFO. These things are pretty neat, because they allow you to store 40 channels. This is ideal for use with the transverter.

Count the number of times you have seen 520s, 530s, and 830s for sale. Then count the number of times you have seen FT-902s for sale. I think there is a reason for it.

If you are looking for a hybrid to give you that old Ham feel, then get a FT-902DM. You will not be disappointed.

73 and take care.

N5JNX-(RFII)

KC2GBS Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2000 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for a relatively short time. My first impression is that its VERY well made. I am able to pull in some distant stations even with a not-so-hot antenna setup. I am a big Yaesu fan and that is one of the reasons I decided to go with this one. I also picked up some of the accessories for it (hard to find,)including the transverter and antenna tuner. Overall I am very satisfied with it. I would recommend it to anyone interested in a high quality older radio.