Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-902DM Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-902DM
Yaesu FT-902DM Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Yaesu FT-902DM
Description: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft902dm/specs.htm
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft902dm/ft902dm.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-902DM.

GM0ELP Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 03:32 Send this review to a friend
Good, reliable fun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having read all the reviews, I just had to have one ;-). I was now looking for a miracle in terms of performance and definitely didn't get that in comparison with modern day radios such as FT1000MP MkV (no big surprise). However, it has a very sensitive receiver and comes with some nice extras which seperate it from similar older radios.
The APF feature is a joy for CW ops and just seems to 'pop' the wanted signal out whilst rolling off all the background hiss.
The width control allows interference handling cabability for SSB and CW contacts, although even a small change in this control will result in noticeable attenuation to the wanted signal.
The on-board keyer is great although I found I couldn't send a 'C' without waggling the paddles instead of just squeezing (I'm used to Iambic B).
The single memory allows QSX and quick QSY without the use of XIT/RIT which is handy for working the occassional DX.
RX audio is very rounded making large signals sound great, but I found it difficult when working weak stations and found myself swapping to the MkV or the IC751a.
This must have been a radio to be reckoned with in it's day and still holds it's own today as a useful, fun, reliable hybrid for those of us who like rigs that glow in the dark.
It's very easy to tune and has a nice feature that releases the PTT after a predetermined period to prevent damage. This probably explains why these radios are so reliable.
I've given this radio a 5 not for out and out performance but for it's reliabilty and extra features which make it a useful radio even by todays standards.
If you must have a valve radio then give this one serious consideration.

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2006 01:22 Send this review to a friend
The BEST Yaesu radio ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned one of these great radios for about 4 months. It is the BEST radio Yaesu ever made! Very well built radio, very sensitive and selective receiver, and sounded almost as good as the Kenwood Hybrids. I always got great RX audio reports with just the Yaesu hand mic. I liked the 100Hz audio filter for PSK. The VFO was very stable, and I never had the slighest bit of trouble with the radio. Much better performance than any of the newer Yaesu radios. If you find one of these at a good price, buy it!

MW0HRD Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2005 18:45 Send this review to a friend
good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned my FT902DM for about 16 months and for its age had only the usual problems when i first got the radio relays switches etc nothing much. I have worked the world on it and would not part with it never had a bad report the audio is superb. with 100w out I paid 150 you cannot go wrong. I would recomend this radio to anyone. but do not get one if you dont like to plate & load
73 to you all Chris S-Wales

PY3KT Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2004 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I appreciate so much this type of equipment, therefore as a friend said: "tube radios have soul". Excellent receiver and trustworthy transmitter, with good quality of audio. It is between my preferring, because remembers my old Yaesu FT101-ZD and it adds quality in all the directions.
73 and greetings from Brazil
PY3KT - Joel Costa

VE8NSD Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 11:27 Send this review to a friend
I like mine, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine as part of a package deal with the phone patch, ant tuner, VFO, and 'scope.
The Astatic D104 really makes the audio sound good. I received a lot of unsolicited compliments on my TX audio.
I saw an Inrad SSB filter on eBay, bought it, and love it. The transformation is literally like having a different (better) receiver. Really incredible. BUT the drawback is that the receive audio now is "communications" quality instead of "high fidelity".

G1EUZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2004 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Radios, the ICOM 718 and the FT-902DM.

It took me 12 Months to refurbish the 902DM fully, I bought it with several parts missing, and managed to track them down via the web. Now I cannot leave it alone.

A useful link for the counter board replacement chip is here:

also check out the 901/902dm group on yahoo:

The modern Icom rig is great for fast fun, but for that lamplight and heater glow, I keep returning to the 902DM. Alignment can be tricky, but when you get it right - it's great.

Mick

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2002 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: months
After a 20 year break from the hobby I started collecting Yaesu FT rigs of this vintage in 2002. Maybe its my age but for me they are easier to repair.

I couldn't turn down my FT902DM, with phone patch speaker and FC902..almost unmarked!!. Output pwer was low on all bands (less than 70Watts) compared to my 101ZD's and this was quickly traced to a defective OP tube, now well over 100W on the lower bands. The Receiver is excellent with a very low noise floor. One of the main differences to the 901 is the diode first mixer (instead of FETs), also many of the Yaesu 901 mods are fitted. The 10 second tune up timer can be annoying for old hands who can tune up tube rigs without it. Memory is basic, but useful for checking back on stations on the band you are on.

The 902DM has AM and FM options fitted, the narrow CW filter was I think an option, but with the Audio Peak Filter its a pretty good CW rig

I'm certain there is no 902DM workshop manual just the 901 manual with an addendum for the 902.

Also very heavy compared to tiny modern rigs. As they say.. its a keeper!!

G3ZPS London UK

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2002 09:54 Send this review to a friend
A classic all-mode rig for great ssb and cw  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used an FT-901DM (see my other review) for 23 years and love it. In fact, I still use it as a back up station on a regular basis.

So, two years ago, when I came across a complete, like-new 902 station, for sale at a ham fest, I couldnt resist. I agree with all the other 902 commentaries. Its a quality durable professional grade xcvr with great flexibility and multimode operation. It excels on ssb and cw.

I too stumbled a bit when trying to align it due to errors andomissions in the owners manual. ( what Yaesu did was a poor job of updating the FT-901DM manual to cover WARC band alignment procedures.) But after one stumble, and a day or two to regroup, I added the missing steps, and completed the neutralization/alignment- with terrific results.

MY 902 had been modified for cb use, so watch out for this. But it is a simple matter of ordering replacement xtals ( 4) and tweaking BOTH the XTAL Unit and the VCO unit to restore normal output on 10M.

This remains an exceptional rig andhas held up amazingly well for its age.

de Bob W3HKK

WU6Q Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2001 12:53 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Performer !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 902DM is a good solid radio, built to last. Having the WARC bands, offering split operation and AM/FM, make it a very versatile radio. It's through whole technology, pretty easy to work on, however, alignment is critical. The manual I have which identifies the respective coils and caps to adjust for the transmitter and receiver is in error. Once I figured it out, the radio is working great. One strong feature is the built in 120VAC supply, no external power supply needed. I have another plug to operate from a battery 12VDC supply if needed. Also remember the USB and LSB are 3 kHz apart, so when you flip over to the other side-band you'll need to retune 3 kHz unlike the newer equipment. The "tune" button is a much better idea than the Kenwood tune mode of having to rotate a knob through all the different modes, with the 902 you can just push the button to tune and it kicks off by itself thus helping save your finals. It's a lot of radio and ergonomically laid out well. 73.......tom

JK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2001 15:10 Send this review to a friend
This is a good receiver (and hopefully a good transmitter)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hi
i never knew until today when i saw this webpage, how briliant this transceiver really is.
i saw mine for sale at a radio rally for 145 and i did have second thoughts about buying it (which i should not of had),but the price was right so i bought it. I have tried it out on receive and seems a good receiver, i am still waiting ( un-patiently) to try it out on transmit mode, but i need a good antenna so i hope the transceiver is briliant at transmitting and wont let me down....
its solidly built and has a good range of frequenceys but as someone pointed out before it does not cover the full band of frequenceys(0-30 Mhz) so this is a bit disapointing. but im planning to buy another transceiver to do this for me.
its dual display makes it easier to tune compared to older setups which just have a analogue display, Its got a good selection of modes for each band (god knows what FSK stands for!).
i never knew that it had a built in keyer so this makes my expectations of it a little higher than before.
im hoping to get a good selection of QSL's from all over the world.

73's for now

JK

P.S if anyone has any Antenna suggestions for me please email me at JK@netking.20m.com