Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | ALINCO DM-330MW Help

Reviews Summary for ALINCO DM-330MW
ALINCO DM-330MW Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $between 77 to 99
Description: 30A switch mode psu. pre-set 13.8V or adjustable voltage to 15V. Front panel display switchable to show V or I. Controls for voltage adjust and noise shift. Terminal posts on rear panel, 2 sets of ush connectors and a single auto lighter socket on the front. Fitted with a fan.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the ALINCO DM-330MW.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 01:40 Send this review to a friend
not a peep  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these for a few years and to date I have not heard a "peep" out of either one of them............No fan noise,,,no birdies,,,,,,etc. Just perfect operation.

2M0AKV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought long and hard before purchasing a switch mode power supply due to them getting a bad rep. from the ham community.

My original power supply was a Watson 25 amp supply.

Unbeknown to myself until a long over one night the fan never worked on it.

My radio died on the long over and a few days later when testing the supply with my dummy load realised that the fan was dead or rather the temp. circuit wouldn't switch the fan on.

Anyways I bypassed the temp. circuit and put the fan on full time.

The fan got very noisy so decided to get a new power supply.

I took the plunge with an Alinco DM 330 MW switch mode power supply.

It quietened my shack down generally with no mechanical fan noise, i'v yet to hear the fan come on.

And more importantly NO RFI noise at all.

I have looked extensively on 80 but for the life of me I can't find any birdies anywhere.

I have a very good RF earth at my station which might make the difference to one getting RFI from the supply.

Small foot print, no noise, terminals at the rear as well as the front.

Like this supply a lot.

EI3GRB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 15:34 Send this review to a friend
sorry I didn't buy 1 sooner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
have used this psu as my main dc source for last few months

driving an ft950 and some accessories the dm-330mw has never batted an eye lid, even through 4 or 5 hours continuous rtty contests

very silent, and if the fan comes on it isn't noticeable

no noise issues or birdies on any freq.

W9CW Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a review of an Alinco DM-330MV switching power supply. I bought this supply specifically for use with my VHF/UHF rigs. It works perfectly, and the cooling fan only comes every couple of minutes. Huge heat sink, in fact the enclosure is one large heat sink. Some excellent, and well thought out, features, and build quality is excellent as well. Built in Japan. Although I use linear supplies for my HF gear, I checked for birdies on HF, and found none. Overall, I am very impressed with this supply.

OZ1ESC Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Wors perfectly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for a couple of years now.
They do have some birdies when listening over the bands, but two 100nF over the output terminals takes care of that. I haven't heard a sound from it since. Doesn't get too hot either after tapping 20-22 Amps for a while. The ventilator is reasonable quiet.
With the pricetag in mind, it deserves a FIVE.
Vy 73 de OZ1ESC

AL7HG Rating: 3/5 Apr 22, 2010 16:12 Send this review to a friend
New service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I talked to Alinco's Service Center in California today about this power supply. They said they took over as the main Alinco warranty and repair headquarters about a month ago.

They said that in the future, if I need this power supply repaired I should send it directly to them.

I have two of these, like them a lot--but a few days ago my house was hit by lightning, knocking out my backup unit. I sent it to Mississippi for repair.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2009 18:30 Send this review to a friend
No problems - Set and Forget  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought 2 of these little beasties at Dayton 2008 and both are giving great service - no noise at all.

KC2OYZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2008 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Hash  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned two of these - small, nice looking, well designed PS - built rugged, great meter and nicely laid out - particularly I liked the pre-set voltage feature.

But, in spite of Alinco's claims, this power supply can nail you with some really nasty RFI, and the noise offset circuit just moves the hash around, doesn't eliminate it.

The severity of the problem depends on your rig and your operating frequencies: I do some MW-BCB DX'ing etc with my rigs as well, and all of them (718,746Pro, 840 and 900) were severely affected by hash on BCB.

With the 718, 746 and the 840, even on 20m there was background hash, although I was able to eliminate most of it through the noise offset circuit. The 900 seemed to be immune on HF, but on BCB there was terrible hash on 900khz that was impossible to get rid off - although I didn't detect any on the 900khz harmonics.

So, if you know what you're getting into with this PS and are ready to deal with it, go for it. Otherwise keep away. I myself am allergic to RFI - I have enough RFI at my QHT that I can't control - I certainly don't want to introduce more voluntarily - back to linears I go.

G4IPZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 14, 2008 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Seems there are good and there are bad.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I now own two of these since one came up new at a price, even with my previous experience of band noise, that I couldn't refuse.
Side by side with my other on e it is absolutely physically identical; same model, even same serial number run however it radiates nothing like as badly as my first version.
It does still radiate shash on 80m particularly but at much wider intervals and at a much lower level.
Unlike the other reviewer I have found that the fans on both my units turn on even when only providing receive power to my FT690 and FT290.
I have also noticed that on both of the units the noise generated on 80m shifts around the band even when I am just altering the audio output levels of any rigs attached to the PSU.
I often find that on a busy day on 80m I am tuning the noise shift on the PSUs more than I am tuning the VFO on my TS130s.
OK they are a reasonable PSU for the money but as I said before, be prepared for radiated shash. However it seems that some are better than others. Oh and earthing the case by the screw tag seems to make no difference at all.

DO3MIB Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2008 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Well done, Alinco!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little PSU. I got the european version (DM330-MVE). I use it to drive my 706, Autotuner and an Amp. Theres no problem, no noise. Neither in SSB nor on PSK the unit gets really hot, max power i need is about 24A. The vent is silent an comes on rarely.

The only thing i dont like: In a dark ambience the LEDs for Power and Preset are too bright. A resistor
solved the problem.