Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-570S(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-570S(G)
Kenwood TS-570S(G) Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300.00
Description: HF and Six Meter
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_bstat=op

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-570S(G).

K8YZK Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must like this radio because I am on my 5th one. I get them, trade them and always come back to it. Yes it might not be Kenwood's finest, but for the price and options it is. I know Kenwood came out with the 480 to replace this, but I like the layout better on the 570. Tuner works great except on 40 and 17 meters with my antenna, but a external tuner takes care of that. I would recommend it as a primary or backup rig.

AE5NI Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2009 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While this radio will not likely go down in the hall of fame as one of Kenwood't best, and I agree with most of the reviews at least in part, there are some positives that need to be mentioned about it. First, while it is not high end, it is better than the meager choices for entry level radios currently available. It also has a nice big user friendly front panel, unlike current radios in this class with the small detachable ones, making it a better choice for your home QTH. It is versatile with coverage of 160 through 6 meters, something which some radios meet or exceed, but not all. It is also all mode and will bring up your favorite FM repeaters. The AM is some of the better quality, something which those of us who worked the low bands back in the 60's with class "C" transmitters really appreciate. Rated at 50 watts out AM, mine does considerably better than that, and the reports indicate a quality signal. It is also compatable with your computer. I haven't had any problems at all with mine and feel that it is up to Kenwood's high standards in terms of the workmanship. Lastly, there are lots of these radios around, they are quite modern and represent a good value on the second hand market for other than possibly the portable, mobile enthusiast who might opt for something smaller, or someone looking for a truely high end radio.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2009 02:41 Send this review to a friend
I made a mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I traded my 570sg for a TS-2000X. what a mistake. while the 2000 is a nice radio the 570 was better in my eyes. Now I just have to decide if i am going to live with the 2000 or trade it for a different radio. TS-570 is a great midrange radio.

G0MJK Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2009 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently obtained this radio in exchange for a TS480SAT which I didn't like at all. This radio was never offered to my knowledge in the UK so I guess it is a grey import. The receive seems quite sensitive if a little noisy and whilst the ATU noisy clicks are a little disconcerting initially it works extremely well. Given the number of features it represents great value for money and used with my Heil HM10 microphone gets very good reports.

KM5VI Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Good overall, great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are many reviews posted here all with good comments about the pro’s and con’s of this rig, so I will just add a few observations of my own and try not to repeat things that are already covered. If you are considering purchasing one of these models on the used market, by all means read through all the reviews.

I purchased my unit new in late 1999. I have had no failures through 10 years of service, so reliability for me has been excellent. I have not experienced the keyer hang problem that one reviewer cited, and have worked several CW contests and DXCC-CW with this radio. I should include that I am not a high speed code operator, and this may be why I have not experienced the hang problem.

This rig does have a lot of features for its price position, and yes, many are buried inconveniently within the menu system. My solution to this was to use a PC along with Kenwood’s remote control freeware to have quick access to all the radio’s menu features. The remote control program is called RCP570 and is still available for download at Kenwood’s site. The software has a few pre-programmed control configurations (which are mostly eye candy), or you can create your own, which is what I have done. Please feel free to email me at my qrz.com address if you would like a copy of my favorite custom configuration. Interfacing the rig to a PC requires only the proper serial cable as the rig has built-in serial port interface.

Overall, the receiver performance is what one would expect for a mid-low priced rig. Sensitivity is fine. Selectivity, noise floor, & dynamic range are all on par for similar priced radios. The RF shift on my unit has never worked very well compared to other rigs. It is fine for small IF shifts but receiver performance seems to drop off the face of the earth past a certain point of IF shift – almost like the IF has been shifted all the way out of the limits of the passband filter. Selectivity can be improved by installing one of the auxiliary narrow filters although the roll-off of the Kenwood filters is not very sharp. The unit supports split operation but there is no secondary VFO, so you cannot monitor both the TX and RX frequency, again you would not find that on a receiver of this class.

The AF DSP can be used to adjust the audio pass band from either or both directions. This works OK at the AF stage but don’t expect the same performance as IF DSP – which you typically won’t find on a rig in this price range anyway. The digital filtering has a tendency towards ringing at the extreme narrow widths (150 HZ and below) but there is seldom any reason to get this narrow. I will differ with some of the other reviewers in that I find the rig has comparatively superior DSP noise reduction. The 570 seems to do a better job that the competition in improving S/N at high noise reduction settings, despite the characteristic “watery” audio quality. If you are not using DSP, try improving the dynamic range by listening with the AF gain at max, AGC set to fast, and control audio level using the RF gain. The unit does have single tracking auto-notch and a CW auto tune feature. There are also a number of settings to adjust the frequency response of the transmitted audio signal.

So overall, the 570 would be a very reasonable choice for a low cost first rig, as a backup or secondary radio, or for field use. The radio can certainly be used successfully for DX or contesting, although it would not offer the high performance of a more expensive radio. I would rate the unit as a 4.5, but since that choice is not available, will round up to a 5. Hope this review is helpful.

N7KFD Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2009 16:55 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As most people have written, yes the NR2 does make the audio sound warbled and yes AF DSP was probably not the best way to go, but I like the radio. I have not had the keyer issues that others have had and after adding a 400Hz filter the noise reduction features work much better. I like the "feel" of the radio. It's easy to operate and I don't find myself in the menus now that I have it set the way I like it. The CW spot feature, antenna tuner, keyer and DSP filters are easy to use and work well. I guess it's just a matter of some people liking it and others not, I like it.

K9OSC Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously owned a Kenwood TS-570 many years ago. At the time I also owned an Icom 746 (non-PRO). I was very satisfied with both. However, the Kenwood repeatedly to my mind was easier to operate and performed as well as the Icom radio. The 570 did everything that I expected a good solid HF radio to do. All of the controls functioned as advertised and performed smoothly. I was impressed by the display and information shown on the LCD readout. The display was both functional and uncluttered, making it a pleasure to view and glean information easily. The Icom option of spectrum display was marginal at best and provided very little to my overall operating needs.

Side-by-side, the Kenwood and Icom units performed closely. Eventually, I sold both units, opting to buy newer radios. Approximately a year ago I purchased a second Kenwood 570, but it was the 570(S)G model. This unit gave me the advantage of having six meter coverage in a second radio. I found this radio to be everything the original model was plus having the advantage of digital options.

I have been very pleased with it and have found the rig meeting all of my operating needs. I operate both CW and phone modes. Like most amateurs I enjoy rag chewing, contesting, DXing and award chasing. I have yet to find a situation where this radio has let me down. I have been both competitive and successful.

I have added a 200 Hz. CW filter and voice readout module as accessories. Operation has been smooth and straightforward. The noise reduction options have performed well and, as any seasoned amateur radio operator knows, one setting does not apply to all situations. Having said that I have been able to find acceptable settings for noise reduction controls in most if not all situations.

I have also compared this radio to the earlier Icom 756 (non-PRO) unit and have found it to be very comparable in performance. This is not to say that Icom does not produce quality equipment. Quite the contrary, they produce excellent radios. In addition to my Kenwood I also own an Icom 706MKIIG which I operate from my home. Each radio provides its own special features. Most of the time I prefer operating the Kenwood, because it is simply more pleasant to listen to and easier to operate.

I operate both radios into a center-fed doublet fed with a 450 ohm feedline. I use this antenna on all HF bands as well as the 6 meter band. Because my antenna is balanced I use an external antenna tuner. I also have the option of running the antenna output directly to a 4:1 balun. I find that when running directly to the balun the built in antenna tuner works on several bands, including 6 meters. However, I generally use the external manual antenna tuner when operating as it does provide greater coverage. I don’t consider this to be a major disadvantage. My Icom is fed into an AH-4 auto tuner and while it is easier to change bands/frequency and tune the time differential is not of any real concern to me.

Every amateur has his or her operating preferences. In my experience this radio has been both dependable and performance delivering. I work most stations that I can hear, and I can reject interference and receive reasonably clear and intelligible communications. Dollar for dollar the Kenwood TS-570(S)G provides good value at modest cost. Incidentally, I no longer own the Icom 746. I don't miss it and for my purposes the Kenwood is easier to operate.

I rate this a "5" because it does what I expect it to do. Not because it is necessarily better than other radios. My measure of a radio is dependable and repeatable service at a given level of expectation. This radio meets that criteria.

K5WW Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2007 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 570S(G) in February of 2001, to replace a 450.

What I noticed immediately was that the receiver was a bit oisier than the 450. Not that much luckily, on my small antenna, but still it was there.

6 meters is what I bought the 570 for. And I had fun, even with my wire dipole eight feet above ground!

One thing I didn't really like was the rattling noise of the antenna tuner, with its relay bank. But it does work well, I admit.

I had one little problem with the radio, about 3 months after I got it. One day I started it up, decided to start a CW CQ, and the keyer just kept on sending dits after I released the paddle. It worked fine the night before. Full reset didn't help, so I sent it back for repair under warranty. The service center fixed it; it turned out to be a defective capacitor in the keyer circuit.

But other than that I never had problems with it. It performed well, and hard, for 4 years after that.

I owned mine for 4.5 years, when it got killed one day by a nearby lightning strike. I replaced it by a 2000, big mistake...

K6AER Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2007 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some folks will give a narrow review of a radio based on only one mode of operation. In my case I used the radio in all modes on all bands. With this in mind no radio is perfect but in the $1000 class of HF radios I consider this one of the best.

Pros:

I have used the TS-570S/G and my main transceiver for 3 years. I upgraded to the IC-756 Pro III because of a few minor issues with the Kenwood. I run what could be called a big dog station. A 1500 watt amplifier with a 4 element SteppIR at 100 feet. As a result I found the TS-570 was not as clean spectrally as I needed. The radio more than meets FCC specification but with my station I will put out 30 dB more signal than the typical 100 watt station with a G5RV. Having said that I found the radio to be one of the best bargains out there on HF.

The radio is easy to navigate, provides a great multimode platform for 160-6 meters. Power output control is very exacting and use of ALC is not needed with the amplifier.

CW works very well with the DSP filter providing very good filtering. I bought a 500 Hz filter and took it out (not needed) putting in the 1.8KHz filter instead. The receive SSB audio DSP has the underwater sound if you use too much DSP and the unit is not as good as the TS-2000 IF based unit but performs well considering the cost. My Pro III works better but at three times the cost. The Noise Blanker works very well on pulse noise. Six meter performance is good with a very low noise level. I might add the receive audio is excellent but I recommend using an external speaker for HiFi receive audio.

Transmit audio is typical Kenwood quality and you will get great audio reports with a Heil HC-5 cartridge microphone. I never use the audio compression on transmission but it adds about 4 dB of envelope power. Just keep the level down.

The radio is stable and makes a great portable unit. I used it for three Field Days and everyone could use the radio without the manual.

I had the transceiver connected to my 4 element SteppIR beam and I must say the receiver performed very well in contesting and DXing. Very little adjacent signal overload even with +30 dB over S9 signals.

Manual documentation is very good.

Cons:

As I had mentioned I need a transceiver that we more spectrally pure. The TS-570 S/G transmitter has a noise floor at -43dB 5 KHz away from the carrier in SSB where my IC-756 Pro III was down -63 dB 5 KHz away from carrier center. When you have a signal that is +40 over S9 a -43 dB noise floor at 5 KHz will be S8 – 5 KHz from carrier. On the ProIII at -63 dB your carrier sideband noise is S3 5 KHz from carrier. This is not a problem for most for you would not spend $20,000 for an antenna system and amplifier and only $1000 for you base station transceiver.

Audio DSP is average but not as good as an IF DSP.

KI7V Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2007 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Not Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio TS-570S(G) for about 1.5 years. Mine has what apparently is a common and known problem. When operating CW, the keyer will randomly hang and sound like it sends an extra long dah. I've tried all of the so called fixes for it, but no success. I've sent the Kenwood service dept emails regarding this but never received any responses. I operate 99% CW, so to me this is a defective, unusable product. I can't understand how they can continue to sell these with a problem like this. Any SSB ops out there looking for a used TS-570S(G)?