Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-570S(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-570S(G)
Kenwood TS-570S(G) Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300.00
Description: HF and Six Meter
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_bstat=op

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-570S(G).

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 5 years now and my only complaint was the AGC pumping from adjacent signals on CW. Well I recently installed an Inrad 400 CW filter and WOW. I love this radio. I have also discovered that NR1 is very useful in CW mode as well. I have never had a problem with the ATU tuning my 80 Meter loop, even when tuning up on 160M. Works great with HRD, great transmit audio with the Kenwood mic, I would go on and on.

I have owned

Ten-Tec - good performance but limited features and crude manufacturing, no mic, no ATU.

Yaesu 817/857/897 - Poor DSP, awful ergonomics, poor display, terrible mic, SWR meter please why bother, no ATU.

ICOM 706 - not even as good as the Yeasu

Kenwood have the best low dollar radios.

KB0NUX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 18:44 Send this review to a friend
My favorite radio in the shack!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a quick note to reply to W4NLM and others that as a rebulican who has owned a Kenwood 570D for about 4 years that it is my favorite radio in the shack. I get great audio reports, love the amber dial numbers and I take it with when we travel in our fifth wheel all over the country. I also own a Yaesu 1000 MP (great radio also, Kenwood TS 530S in mint condition, and Icom 703 for QRP work.

W4NLM Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 17:55 Send this review to a friend
a great rig!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
as a cw buff, the included filters are a solid 5 and the frequency stability is a 5, a trait i demand. just compare this rig with those costing twice as much and you will join me in giving it a 5. anyone who doesnt like this transceiver is probably a republican!!!!(ive had this rig over 6 mo.

N0NV Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2007 16:00 Send this review to a friend
A good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a TS-570S(g) since November 2006. This is replaces a TS-570D(g) which I owned for several years prior. I have the optional TCXO, CW filter, voice recorder and voice synthesizer.

Here's what I like:
* It has a medium size which is valuable to someone who wants a rig which can be easily relocated (field day, cabin, etc.), yet still has plenty of front panel controllable features.
* It handles key-down modes well due to its chassis and cooling design. The fan seldom ever has to come on while using CW or SSB.
* I get good audio reports using my Heil headset with HC-5 (full-range element) mic.
* There is only one menu. A big one perhaps, but only one. No annoying sub-menus and trees to get lost in. Most of the menu items are "set and forget", and Kenwood provides a front panel "PF" key to quickly access a user-assignable menu item. I assigned mine to the NR1 (DSP noise reduction) settings.
* I like the appearance. It's a solid-looking rig, and the construction of the chassis and controls have a solid feel.
* The optional TCXO provides very good frequency stability.
* This rig has been reliable so far -- no warranty issues.

Now for the minuses:
* It only accommodates one optional IF filter. Kenwood really blew an opportunity for additional accessory sales with that decision.
* The receive audio seems only adequate to me. I know this is purely subjective, but it seems my old TS-830s (I'm hanging on to that one with both hands!) has better receive audio - maybe due to the wider receive bandwidth.
* The "Multi" knob shares too many features. If you intend to adjust the DSP audio bandwidth and forget that it's set for frequency adjustment, you can unexpectedly QSY during a contact.
* The auto-tuner is not broad enough to handle open-wire fed antennas.
* The noise blanker is marginal at best, and isn't adjustable. It pales in comparison to the one in my trusty old TS-830s. It has no effect on the intermittent powerline EMI / RFI that is so typical here in the urban snow belt (Minneapolis) during the dry winter months. Fortunately I deploy a Timewave ANC-4 antenna noise canceler which has proven to be a godsend.

In summary, I have found this to be a very solid, quick-to-deploy radio and recommend it to anyone who does not have drastic EMI / RFI problems to deal with.

WO8L Rating: 3/5 Aug 23, 2006 08:22 Send this review to a friend
All-In-One Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood must sell a lot of TS 570 series rigs. It looks nice and does a lot of things. The filters are virtually all built-in and it's easy to use, particularly on SSB.

There are some flaws but you can't have everything.

The AF DSP imparts an awful "Donald Duck" sound on SSB. The same knob which toggles through filters on CW also changes bands; hence, sometimes when you think you're changing filters, you end up on a whole other band and lose the QSO.

The receiver is noisy. It's noiser than an Alinco DX 70T and much more noisy than a Ten Tec OMNI VI series. On cw, closely spaced signals are hard to handle, especially on DX signals on 40 meters at night.

On the other hand, the built-in tuner works great at my shack. The menu system is among the easiest of any HF radio I've seen, certainly more intuitive than ICOM's menus.

It's not a contest machine.

But it is a solid "all-in-one" radio of a reasonable size and acceptable performance.

73s,

Rick

PA7TWO Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2006 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Overal a good rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Review Kenwood TS-570DSG 24-06-2006 Overall Rating: 4

This Kenwood TS-570DSG HF+50MHz 100 watt transceiver I bought second hand. Officially not sold in Europe by my knowledge.
Over the last week I compared this rig to the Kenwood TS-690Sat, TS-850Sat and the Yaesu MP-1000 MK V.

My findings:

This rig does not have a solid roofing filter. The fitted YK88S is about 2.6KHz wide. In contest or strong signal band conditions you are lost using this filter. I�ll change this filter, which is soldered on one of the main boards of the rig itself, with an YK88S1 or Inrad equivalent. (Need to find a filter first hihi).
Only one extra filter can be fitted in this radio, I find this a major shortcoming of this rig.

I fitted the Kenwood YK-88C1 500Hz CW filter. Without this CW filter you are constantly reminded by the AGC that there is no proper filter fitted. It pumps like crazy, and drove me absolutely mad. With the filter fitted it is a nice rig to use on CW mode, with all the DSP settings it makes reception of the the signals very easy to adjust and listen too.

DSP:
The DSP is a nice feature in this rig; it is based in the AF stage. Do not expect miracles, but it helps in a lot in situations with QRM. Both RX and TX can be equalized, nice feature.

Sensitivity:
No complains here at all.

Keyboard:
No secret 200 different functions under one button, just one or two, like I like it to be. Easy accessible internal menu, for initial settings.

Overall conclusion: You cannot go wrong with this rig. It is cheap, it has DSP features that work, and has HF & 50MHz 100 watts. Kenwood did an excellent job with this new version of the TS570 series. Sure I will use it a lot!

Notes:
* - With the 500Hz filter fitted, and selected in menu # 46 �500�, the DSP starts kicking in the extra filter at 600Hz and lower. When you fit a 270Hz filter, the DSP kicks in only at 300Hz and lower. One has to think about this before making a choice what filter to fit in the radio.
* - This radio is very/too sensitive for RFI. On some of my power supplies (Kenwood) this phenomenon gave problems while transmitting full output. I never observed this during any of my radio comparisons. Got this rig CE certification??
Adding ferrite clamps did not do the trick. After being exposed to this problem I searched on the www and I have seen reports of this in the yahoo groups, so it is a known issue. You can monitor the RFI using CW mode, I heard loud �plopping� sounds at the start of dits and dahs. Just switch the rig to another power supply, it solved the problem at my end.
* - The power leads fuse holders are crap. The crimp lead connectors holding the fuses were not good manufactured. Take the solder iron and make sure you have solid connections in that area. My power lead fuse holders got very very hot after transmitting some CW. After modification, they stay cool, as expected.

That is it for now.

With kind regards,

73, de Kees � PA7TWO � M5TWO.

KC4CP Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2006 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a good radio. Nice RX & TX ... but nothing special. I prefer my Icom 746 PRO. Yes, the Pro cost more, but it is a far superior radio. It has 2 meters & needs no extra filters.

But again, the 570 is a good radio ... not great ... but good. No complaints at all. Just nothing special to brag about.

VE6XL Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2006 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The design of the TS-570S is excellent. I really like the simple front panel layout including how the menu is set up. The rig is very functional.

This has a full metal case (very nice to see in a modern rig). I would not use this rig for mobile purposes as it is a bit heavy.

The DSP features functions OK (NR & DSP Slope). The processor works very well.

The transmission and reception quality are excellent. I strongly recommend using this rig with a 600 Ohm studio microphone (no preamplified mic). I do not use the TX EQ. I do use the RX EQ as required.

I control this rig with HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe). The included RS-232 interface is an excellent idea. All you need is a straight through serial cable, computer and free software.

If you decide to purchase the extra filter I would purchase an Inrad filter vs the Kenwood. This radio is very well priced right now in Canada.

VE6XL
www.ve6xl.ca

AC4FS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2005 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife bought me this TS-570S for my birthday back in August of 1997, and I have been using it since. It is a very strong radio, with good SSB and CW performance.

One of the things I like about it is it is smaller than the "big rigs", without being too small, like the IC-706. Plenty of finger room, and the buttons and knobs are just the right size.

Would I recommend this rig to a new ham? You bettcha!

73, Howard
AC4FS

KB0VVK Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2005 20:31 Send this review to a friend
multi ch  Time owned: more than 12 months
only problem the multi ch nob d oes not work in sequence use the menue use multy ch it goes were it wants too.
but I like it any way
just set it were I klike it and DON,T Mess with it.