Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-570S(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-570S(G)
Kenwood TS-570S(G) Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300.00
Description: HF and Six Meter
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_bstat=op

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-570S(G).

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2005 15:03 Send this review to a friend
It pumps, so what!?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still got the little devil! For more than 3 years now. In competition with a TS930s, that's an achievement! Never had a single problem with it.(never had a single problem with ANY Kenwood) What's wrong with it? It pumps like crazy on CW without the cw filter - AWFULL. It still pumps with the 400Hz CW Inrad filter when the (audio) DSP is set to a narrower value. Good for DX now but still not usable in a contest.=> Throw in a 250Hz Inrad and "bye bye pumping!". Oops, this little receiver is better than my TS930s now on 160, 80 and 40!!
Look at the ARRL values on 3th order intercept and you know why...

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2004 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Good - NR needs work  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My review is the same as the one I posted for the 570D I own. Great value for the bucks, but NR needs work. Watery NR artifacts similar to the Clear Speech speaker DSP, except they fade away on the Clearspeech after a few seconds. They're always there on the 570 unless you back the RF gain way off. DSP in general has a ways to go to improve over good solid quality mechanical design NR systems. Best rig under $1200.

A previous poster claims the Icom 718 is better since he apparently had a lemon 570. I've had both and the Kenwood is a better rig. It should be, as you pay almost twice as much. 73.

W9CSL Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2004 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won,t repeat a lot of things allready said - but have had this radio for a year or so, plus had a TS-570D for about 5 years, and both have performed perfectly, not one single problem!

Live in a Villa, run mine at low power, with very modest antennas, and it still does a very nice job. I run mostly cw with the cw filter, but do run a little ssb.

Very nice features & looks in a compact, but not tiny package, pleasing to operate.

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2004 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of the reviews posted here are from hams who have owned the radio for only a brief time. This may not be enough time to find out the shortcomings with the design. I have owned the radio for three years and I must say I am impressed with the radio now as I was when I first unpacked the radio. John at HRO in Denver recommended it to my wife, who was looking for a Christmas present, as the best radio for under $1300, I agree with him.

I primarily use the radio for SSB operation but occasionally wonder into the CW portions of the band. The radio handles all that is required just fine. I have used this radio for field day with twenty other transmitters in operation and it has handled strong signals just fine. Unlike some of the more expensive transceivers you can read the display in bright sunlight just fine. The controls and ergonomics are very well thought out and anyone with some HF operation under their belt can step right up to this radio and operate it. Receiver sensitivity, selectivity and dynamic range are very good and exceed specifications. I am a microwave engineer and have a whole lab of test equipment. I have found the radio meets or exceeds specification as advertised.

The audio DSP is OK but not as good as the IF DSPs in the $2500 radios. What a surprise. On CW the audio filters work so well I removed the 500 Hz IF filter and replaced it with a 1.8 KHz SSB filter. This I would recommend to anyone using the radio for serious SSB work. I have used this radio next to a FT-1000 MP and an IC-756 ProII and very rarely do the more expensive radios provide better reception. As I said earlier only when a more complicated DSP solution is needed does the radio fall short. You are far better to put the extra money into your antenna system.

I use my transceiver with the 4 element StepperIR at 100 feet. In the last year I have worked over 200 countries on 20 meters. Last year during the world wide CQ contest I had teams of operators using my station during the 48 hour period an all were surprised how well the transceiver performed. These operators all have top of the line rigs at their QTHs.

As with all Kenwood products the transmitt audio is rich and broadcast quality. My audio dynamic range is over 47 dB. This means when I use my amplifier, contacts will not hear my fans, white noise and always tell me how nice the audio sounds. I use the Heil GM-4 microphone that came with the transceiver as a promotion. Most people I have contacts with guess that the transceiver is one of the more expensive units.

The auto tuner works very well but you must use an outboard tuner if you are exceeding the impedance specifications of 16 to 150 ohms. Six meters is very good with the radio putting out 100 watts on six. Receiver sensitivity on six meters is under .1 uV for 12 dB SINAD.

I installed the TCXO and the audio recorder module. The radio is within 10 HZ on frequency and always agrees with other high end radios in QSOs. The audio recorder is nice for caned CQs and other messages. The Noise Blanker if fantastic. Electric fences, P static and ignition noise just disappears. S meter is accurate from S7 to 35 dB over S nine. S9 is 50 uV.

Bottom line is this radio will give you the maximum bang for the buck. You cant go wrong buying this radio. Put the rest of the money into a beam.

KC8WX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2004 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Little Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked this rig up at the Dayton Hamvention and had been planning on getting one after researching reviews on eHam on the IC746Pro, TS870, IC706MKIIG, IC718, and TS570SG.

Got the radio on the air last night after about a half hour of reading through the necessary info in the manual and tracing out all the wiring from the TS450S that was pulled from the station a year ago. Was able to get it going in time for a nightly net I frequent on 75 mtrs, so I was seeing signals and hearing audio that I was used to on the 450S. Played around with the NR1, DSP Cuts, IF Shift, Beat Cancel, ATT, Pre-Amp and Rcv EQ in combinations until I found a Receive configuration that is very pleasant to listen to, and with little variations on the ATT/Pre-Amp combining, can come up with great receive on any signal, weak or strong. After the net I hung around for the regulars and went to work on the TX config and audio. The Auto-Tuner liked my IAC Double-Bazooka Inverted Vee and tuned in about 5 Sec. no problem. I was good to go and worked on tweaking the Mic and Proc settings, taking audio reports that were very complimentary. Using a Heil HM-10 mike on a boom with an HC-5 Cartridge is giving me a nice "Smooth" audio using no EQ on TX. I would like to try one of the Inrad SSB Filters in this one to compliment the receiver.

The radio looks like my old TS450S case and seems to basically be a souped up 450S, adding the EQ's, the Auto-Tuner, DSP, TX Monitor, Large LCD Display. I like the auto Beat Cancel for knocking out tuner-uppers on SSB. You can't beat it for the money, a nice all around general use rig. I'm enjoying the Rcv audio and the way I can quiet the radio down and still hear plenty of desired audio, expecially on the HF Mobiles on all the "Cars" nets. I'm pulling out mobiles on 40 mtrs up to a 1000 mile radius using an IAC Half Sloper. It takes some tweaking and combinations of DSP, ATT and Pre-Amp but it is way hotter on Rcv than the old TS450S was. I've had it on all afternoon and evening today just listening off the upstairs extension speaker, smiling and enjoying the choice I made! It certainly puts the fun of Amateur Radio in a nice simple little package. Kenwood Audio, Kenwood Quality.

WA9HCZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2004 00:41 Send this review to a friend
A good solid rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My main interests for this radio is digital, CW, and Mars. This rig works
good for digital because it is possible to use a CW filter in the SSB mode
and swish the narrow passband around with the IF shift. Most digital operation
is via AFSK in the SSB mode, but many rigs do not allow the use of the CW
filter for this.
The mechanical aspects of the 570 are very good. The chasis is die cast not
bent tin. The main dial and other knobs are very good for a radio of this price.
The buttons have that rubbery feel. The MARS conversion is fairly simple and
only requires one trace to be cut and it is easy to access. I noticed the
screws that hold the front panel on were very tight, so make sure you have a good
quality phillips screw driver so you don't wreck the screws. The manual is very good.
The size is just about perfect.
The audio DSP is not too good. In SSB all you can do is use high and low cut
which works for SSB but is unsuitable for digital. The selectivity is pretty
soft. A way more suitable application for digital would be to use the center
button for the center freq and the other for bandwidth so you could swish the
window around in the passband similar to the Timewave DSP 59+.
The noise reduction (NR) is nothing great. In most cases it makes things worse
not better. Hardly worth taking up the panel space for it. I have another rig that
has audio DSP, it is not too good either. Timewave is better.
The CW autotune is not worth much. A spotting tone on your CW offset would be
better and more accurate on weak signals, and cheaper. Another wasted button.
If you are going to use this rig on CW, you better buy a CW filter. The main
SSB filter is much wider than other rigs I have. The skirts are mushy as well.
I would like to replace the SSB filter but it is soldered in so that will be
a serious project. When you are in CW the DSP is on all the time and at a 2
khz bandwidth. If a signal gets into the SSB filter and not able to pass through
the DSP, the AGC will reduce the strength of desired signals that you can hear.
This is very annoying. Making the DSP narrower will make things worse, not better.
the only cure is to use the CW filter, not the SSB filter on CW.
This radio has two M.IN buttons and a CLEAR and a CLR button. This is confusing.
I also have the problem of grabbing the MULTI button instead of the RIT. If you set
the menus correctly you may get back to the frequency you were at if you are lucky
else you will loose your QSO. This is because you sometimes use the multi button
for fast tuning. Another annoyance. Also there is no way to use the dial pad to
access memories for recall, only for saving to memory. You have to turn the knob
across 50 memories sometimes. I like the way they handle the memory store/recall
on the IC-735 better.
The ATT and Pre-Amp work the way they are supposed to and work together for
three different settings(like the IC-735). The NB is mostly worthless. There are some
noise blankers that work without an adjusting control, this one does not. Too bad
they dont get the NB to work before tossing in DSP which is a poor replacement for
a good NB. The keyer makes false dots as others have reported, I ended up using a
external keyer. The full break-in is very good, this is the first rig I enjoyed
using the full break-in feature. I like it. This rig is very stable I have not
even installed the so-2, I wonder if I even need it.
I do not use the ATU or FM on this radio so have no opinion. The AM mode sounds
good on shortwave. This rig seems to handle busy bands quite well, no thanks to the
mushy wide filters. Don't hear LO sidebands from strong nearby signals. The SSB
filter is less than perfect, too wide and mushy skirts. The CW filter is sorta OK
but I have heard better. Too bad the main filter is soldered in, it should be
upgraded. This rig could have used a better SSB filter.

SP1EK Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2004 03:35 Send this review to a friend
What a nice TRX...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TS 570SG is my 3rd Kenwood TRX.I used to TS 450 and TS 870.I think that`s verry good radio.Always I get a superb audio report.I have installed CW 270Hz filter and it helps a lot.This radio have also 50MHz ( I like this band )with 100watt out.After I had TS 870 i thought that I really don`t need so expensive radio with out 6m so I sold it and bout TS570SG.This TRX is good joice for any HAM`s.
Best 73`s
Bart SP1EK sp1ek@wp.pl

TF8GX Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2004 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Best buy you can get !  Time owned: more than 12 months
RGT, for 1100$ a rig with HF and 6m + tuner !
Its a Kenwood quality , super resever and exellent audio !

Im VERY happy with mine :)

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2003 00:42 Send this review to a friend
antenna tuner weakness  Time owned: months
I see that one ham had to have his antenna tuner repaired...that is the one weakness in the 570...the tuner uses latching relays, instead of motors like the TS-450 and TS-850, both of which have better tuning systems. Stan at Memphis Amateur Electronics once showed me a burned up tuner in a 570...YOU CANNOT TUNE A HIGH SWR WITH THIS RADIO!!The manual plainly states that you must keep the swr under 3:1 or risk damage to the tuner. I routinely use the tuner with a higher swr when running qrp power levels, but 100 watts into a high swr will damage the unit. This is only real weakness I have found in the radio. I use an external tuner most of the time anyway, since I use 300ohm feedline to my main station antenna. Other than the fragile tuner, I think that this is one of the best radios for the money available today. This is my second 570...I had the first one for several years, then had a fit to trade for several other radios...I finally realized that the 570 was all the radio I really needed for rag chewing and so got a new 570sg...I have the 500hz cw filter. I do wish it would take more than one filter, but have to admit I like the radio very much. Also, you can't beat Kenwood stock transmitted audio...only TenTec can equal it. I don't believe in throwing money away on fancy audio equalizers, ect..what a dumb waste of money and radio spectrum. All you can do with any silly radio is to talk on it....who needs "FM studio quality audio" and a 10 khz wide SSB signal. (Listen to some of these "wide"band audio nuts and note how much bandwith they waste and listen to how much money they throw away to achieve it). The stock TS-570 is plenty good enough for comfortable listening. After 30 plus years on the air, I guess I am opinionated, but then, who isn't.

KC2IHD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2003 18:33 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: months
SIMPLY GREAT WHY REPOST ALL THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS RADIO ITS A OUTSTANDING RADIO PERIOD