Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-335BM NMO Magnetic Antenna Mount Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-335BM NMO Magnetic Antenna Mount
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $21.95
Description: Medium to Heavy duty magnet mount. Super strong 5 inch diameter base weighs a husky 2 1/2 pounds. For medium to large size antennas. Its perfect for MFJs RuffRider series of Super Gain mobile antennas. NMO Style connector.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-335BM

You can write your own review of the MFJ-335BM NMO Magnetic Antenna Mount.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Mounts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the 3/8"x24 thread and the UHF style mounts. Both are excellent mounts, taking what antennas I put on them and keep chugging right on along. I had a similar incident where it was the braid that broke on the UHF style mount and not the center conductor. Also it was due in part to age and not a non soldered connection that caused the malfunction. The mount in question failed just this past Jan.(09) and was purchased from MFJ either in Aug. or Sept. of 03.

All in all great mounts, and as the other poster stated they are field repairable, which is a good thing. Also these things will stay put in excess of highway speeds. Had the UHF mount on my 02 Sport Trac, with a Diamond HV-7A antenna when Hurricane(s) Francis and Jeanne rolled through our area in Sept./Oct. 04. So, yea, I have great confidence in these mounts, will buy from them again when the need arises.

K4DHR Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2008 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Magnet holds very well, but the connection needs some help  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This mount is great for small to medium NMO style whips. It has a strong magnet and despite my Larsen dual band whip being a little worse for wear because of the low ceiling in the parking deck at work, it has never come loose, even when doing 70-75 mph on the freeway.

Now, the bad. It worked great for the first 6-7 months of use. In the past month or so, the transmit/receive on all of my antennas became very spotty. Some quick tests showed an intermittent open between the mount and cable. Taking the mount apart (fortunately it IS field repairable, you just need to cut the film material on the bottom of the mount to access two nuts holding the mount to the magnet) I found that the center conductor of the cable to the center contact of the NMO connection had broken. It appeared it was only held together by a very small and poor solder connection. I whipped out the soldering iron and some solder and repaired the joint, and viola! Everything works as it should again. It is also good to know that I can replace the cable with some 8X and my choice of connector should I choose to do so in the future.

If you own this mount, I would highly suggest taking yours apart and checking the connection, particularly if you've been having issues with it. It may save you from needlessly purchasing or exchanging for a new mount.

Since it is a good mount when it works and is easily repaired, I still gave it a 4/5.