Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SONY ICF-EX5 Help

Reviews Summary for SONY ICF-EX5
SONY ICF-EX5 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $199
Description: AM/FM Radio intended for superb mediumwave reception.

You can write your own review of the SONY ICF-EX5.

SAILCAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent MW Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you're interested in an outstanding MW radio, the SONY ICF-EX5MKII will fulfill your needs admirably. It is very sensitive and it will pull in stations with which other radios struggle. Selectivity is also impressive and it will parse out stations buried in a sea of noise and adjacent signals. FM sensitivity is good, as well, but not to the extent as MW. SW is limited to half a dozen Japanese stations and it is, for all practical purposes, useless. It is important to note, however, this is essentially a high end AM/FM radio and the SW is not a real selling point. Audio quality is mediocre, unfortunately, but I can live with it as I use it to pull in the Bay Area station that airs my favorite team's baseball games and the sound quality is fine for that purpose. One negative point, and one that is not insignificant, is the cost of the ICF-5MKII is rather steep. If you can live with the cost of the radio and MW is important to you, this is the radio for you.

VALOBOU Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this radio. I bought it in Japan for curiosity to try it in North America. I believe it is the best AM analog radio on the market when you consider price and quality.

I have tried it for months and I am still discovering new stations. The EX5 doesnít have memory, so for my convenience I have attached small stickers on it, to leave tracks of all my discovered stations.

Because the tuning knob is so sensitive it takes time to find right station and make it separate from others. Synchronous detection and hi and low sensitivity switcher really help.

The tuning light indicator is a perfect in the dark. It shows how strong the signal is it.
For me this radio opens a world I didnít know existed before. Surrounded by so many radio stations, I find a slew of interesting news, stories, entertainment, and music.

Sometimes I enjoy Spanish music, probably from Mexico. I believe the EX5 can pick up some Mexican station because it also picks up San Francisco, NY and other powerful stations in Vancouver B.C. Best time is the night.

Some body call this radio "Hi-End," and considering cost and quality indeed it is!

LRDHEAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
nearly exceptional  Time owned: months
Analog mediumwave with fm band; monaural. The emphasis is the mediumwave band. Linear sliderule dial with higher mediumwave frequencies spaced as widely apart as the lower frequencies. The radio is meant for the Japanese market; stations from around Japan are marked on the large frequency display. The radio is as sensitive and selective as any portable that I have tested...outstanding...similar to the SONY ICF-S5W. Perhaps has a lower noise floor than the ICF-S5W. Unique for a portable mediumwave reciever is the capability to deploy a choice of upper and lower sync detector. This can be rather useful in the minority of circumstances that cry out for it's use. The draw back to this set that does not appear on the ICF-S5W is whistles and mixing products in places related to the presence of local transmitters. This makes the ICF-S5W preferable during the day. At night, when the locals go to lower power, the problem all but disappears, and the set is king of the hill! The drawback that this set shares with the ICF-S5W is mediumwave coverage that stops at 1630 KHz (the ICF-S5W reaches to 1640 KHz).