Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Eico 720 Transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Eico 720 Transmitter
Eico 720 Transmitter Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$129
Description: 80-10 Meters 90W CW transmitter from about 1959

You can write your own review of the Eico 720 Transmitter.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2017 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Well designed transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio a couple of years ago and found a problem with the oscillator, with a 7.030 crystal it would send a 6.6 mHz signal. So it sat all this time until I finally opened it up and replaced the original 50+ year old Eico 6CL6 oscillator tube. Now it puts out 35-40 watts of clean CW. With my better crystals I see no chirp.

This was in a separate class for novice rigs. It uses the 6CL6 oscillator feeding a 6AQ5 buffer into the 6146 final (unlike my Johnson Viking Adventurer which uses two tube MOPA design). The clamp tube, according to the product manual, "acts as a type of oscillator screen grid regulator when the transmitter is keyed...there is only 12 V across the key terminals at all times" thus preventing sparking and key clicks. The PI network matches up to 1000 ohms. This thing is built solidly inside and out. A great novice rig!

I'm planning on using this and a newly acquired HT-40 on the air regularly. Now to find an old BA receiver...

W5SUM Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2016 16:22 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
My mother bought me an EICO 720 and Drake 2B/2BQ in the summer of 1969 for $75. I got my novice license and made my first contact ever with that Eico 720 on November 24th 1969, with WN8AAD. I had a GREAT time with that little transmitter. Started out on 7.160 and then moved to 15 meters after a friend gave me a handful of crystals. I never had a lick of trouble with that transmitter. It was perfect for a Novice. I wish I still had it. Got my General in the fall of 1971 and bought a HT37. I was 15 y ears old

N6SFC Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2015 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but a fine choice for the novice back then.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I worked my first QSO in 1971 with a borrowed EICO 720. When the 720 was repossessed by its owner, my dad bought me a used DX-60A. At that time, AM was deader than a do-do bird. SSB had completely taken over by 1971 and honestly I never heard a single AM QSO the whole time I was a novice. I often wondered why so many manufacturers bothered to put those crummy-sounding screen modulators in novice-class transmitters. "No-voices" couldn't use 'em anyway. Seemed like a waste of space and effort. EICO seemed to get it right. Their modulator was an optional outboard accessory. AND it was a hi-fi plate modulator that worked way better than a 6DE7. I also hated the crystal socket location in the Heath rig. Novices were rock-bound back then, and having the crystal socket(s) on the back of the chassis was a damn nuisance. The 720 crystal socket is right up front, easy to get-to. I always thought that the EICO 720 was the best choice for the novice back then. On the down side, there is no "cage" around the 6146, and it is cathode-keyed. The shielding inside the DX-60 is much better, and grid-block keying is less "clicky". An EICO 720 with grid-block keying and better shielding would have been the ultimate novice rig, but unfortunately nobody ever made one commercially. I have a very nice 720 that I rescued from a flea market a few years ago. It's in great unmodified condition, but I need to replace a faulty tube socket in there and it is taking me forever to get a round tooit. I have a really nice HQ110 to pair it with, and I'm looking forward to the day. Boy, I would have KILLED for an HQ110 back in 1971!

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2013 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Great starter xmtr  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine at a ham store in Oakland California in 1964 when I was 16. Had it all put together in 23 hours time. I spent many a great hour with that rig as WV6ZXU. Made a FB station with my RME Electro Voice 4600. Did I mention my Elmer (Charlie K6YBS) needed just over a week to get it workingss. I said I put it together in 23 hours, I didn't say that it worked when I was done.

KA0AAM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2013 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent all around CW/AM transmitter. . I have owned mine since the 70's. . I have used it on AM and CW.

They are built tough, very few components, easy to repair, and you can use a VFO with them.

The Eico 730 modulator is a nice unit that can set up on top of the 720 with no problems at all.

K1VZI Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 10:04 Send this review to a friend
A Long Lasting Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my EICO 720 in 1964 and restored it a few years ago. This is a great transmitter on both CW and AM with the 730 modulator. I added the WB3HUZ modifications to the modulator as described in Steve's article on the AM Window website. My 50 watt AM signal gets good reviews on 75 meters. I am also using the EICO 720 on 80 and 40 meter CW with my National NC-270. They don't build them like they used to, these super tough rigs probably will last at least another 50 years with a little bit of love and care.

KK6MD Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 08:44 Send this review to a friend
My First Kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Eico 720 was the first kit I ever built. I ran mine crystal-controlled. It was the rig that I used as a Novice and transitioned with to General. I got mine in 1962 and later added the Eico 730 AM modulator kit (which I think sold for $50 back then). The modulator had an optional cover you could purchase, but I liked to watch the tubes glow.

K9AUB Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Years ahead of its time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Argueably the best Novice-class transmitter ever made. Ran 90 watts CW on 80-10 meters. Could be used at 65 watts AM with the addition of the Eico 730 modulator. Featured 6CL6 Oscillator, 6AQ5 Buffer, 6146 Final, 6AQ5 Clamp Tube. Pi network could match virtually any antenna. Excellent shielding and TVI suppression held the RF inside where it belonged. Attractive cabinet and face plate with convenient layout of controls. Crystal could be changed from the front in seconds. Unusually rugged power transformer gave reliable service (unlike most Heathkits of the day). Could be "upgraded" to VFO control via an auxiliary jack and switch on the rear panel. There are 2 types of hams from the 1950s: those who owned an Eico 720, and those who wish they had owned one. If you are fortunate enough to acquire one, clean and restore it carefully; they don't make them like this anymore!