Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Voice Shaper Help

Reviews Summary for Voice Shaper
Voice Shaper Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Voice Shaper is a speech pre-processor for SSB transceivers. It receives the voice signal from the microphone connected to the soundcard, and sends the processed audio back to the soundcard in real time. The following processing functions are implemented in the program:
bandpass filter;
7-band equalizer;
noise gate;
compressor;
RF envelope clipper.
More info: http://www.dxatlas.com/VShaper/

You can write your own review of the Voice Shaper.

NQ4T Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Simply outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use an Icom 725 which, let's face it, doesn't have the most powerful output. The average talk power tends to be very low; while this can be properly fixed with a RF Speech processing mod; I didn't want to spend the money on the filter considering what I paid for the rig.

I considered purchasing an external voice processor, then I considered using my PC for the task. I had a headset for FreeDV and plenty of programs designed for broadcasting; but I soon found the latency in those plugins would be unacceptable.

I stumbled on Voice Shaper while digging around and found it's latency was more than acceptable for the purpose. So I hooked my headset up and started playing around with it.

Then came time to take it on the air; the results have been outstanding. The reports from A/B comparisons reported the Voice Shaper processing was in fact much louder, and in a good way. Where my meter used to bounce around 20 to 30 watts during normal conversaions; the average now bounces between 50 and 100 (according to my MFJ tuner).

It's an excellent program and provides the same functionality as expensive hardware; for the low low cost of moving a few bits over your internet. Sure, you have to have a PC hooked to your rig, but with the proliferation of digital modes, who doesn't already have a PC in the shack for ham use?

VA7CPC Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 23:20 Send this review to a friend
Great software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This program is just right -- a combined EQ / compressor / gate, _all graphically controlled_.

I used it tonight to give a demo to my club of the effects of audio processing. The combination of hearing the changes, with _watching_ the changes on a projected screen, was convincing to everyone.

For my next SSB contest, I'll use Voice Shaper instead of my Behringer VX2496 vocal processor. VS has a wider range of adjustments for EQ, and I don't have much use for a de-esser.

Alex has done an excellent job in choosing the range of adjustments, and deciding what should be adjustable and what should remain invisible. This is a package for everyone, not just audio fanatics.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 13:52 Send this review to a friend
59  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can now use my homemade mic (condeser type) with any rig! This program processes my speech, my voice can now be shaped as I like. My rig requires a dynamic mic but I successfully used an electret mic connected to my PC. What it is very important is to attenuate the output from the soundacard to the mic. My mic input requires just a max of 20 millivolts. The soundcard output has much larger output that has to be attenuated in a similar way as PSK is transimitted and attenuated between the soundcard and the mic input. I use the same homemade PSK attenuator-interface (audio isolating trafo, fixed attenuator, and linear variable resistor) for both the PSK and Voice Shaper. You can use any electret mic. The program can filter out the low and the high frequencies, remove background noise etc. A cheap electred mic for pc is what is required, beyond the attenuator between the soundcard and the mic input of the radio. Having a spare one, I built it very easily and worked first time.

W1AEX Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Piece of Software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I began using Voice Shaper after setting my Pro III up for the digital modes with a SignaLink interface that dumps the soundcard audio into the back panel audio port. The instant I switched from the stock Pro III audio to Voice Shaper the stations on the frequency with me were stunned by the fidelity and clarity of the transmit audio. As previous posts indicated, you can save as many different audio setups as you like to combine different levels of EQ, compression, and limiting.

After playing on SSB with Voice Shaper, I made several different profiles for AM and FM with excellent success. I like this program so much that I use it now to process the low level audio on one of my class C plate modulated rigs with astonishing results. The brick wall audio filtering allows very full range frequency response while blocking sibilant transients that could make those on adjacent frequencies unhappy.

This FREE program works as well as a rack full of audio processing equipment! The truth is in what is heard by those you talk to on the air. Several people have sent me mp3 files of my station while using Voice Shaper. Look me up on QRZ and follow the link to my site where a number of clips are available that feature Voice Shaper with my Pro III and with one of my AM rigs. Judge for yourself how it sounds.

Many thanks to VE3NEA, Alex, for making this amazing software available!

W6DTW Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2008 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Works, and works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Use the link below (or search EHam for "dbx 286a") to see my review of the dbx 286A Microphone Processor where I compare it with Voice Shaper. Simply stated: VS won hands down in a side-by-side comparison.

My only complain about VS is that it sometimes locks up when I wake my laptop from standby/hibernate. I find that if I set VS to "Pause" mode before putting the laptop to sleep this seems to help.

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2008 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Remarkable - Thanks for writing this!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I worked as a sound engineer for a number of years so I got to thinking about using a pre-amp and software to process my audio and came across this amazing utility.

I run an Edirol FA-66 with an Audix OM-2 on a boom. I already had the mic and generally run it with a W2IHY 8-band EQ (also a great piece).

This software is fantastic!

The EQ works very nicely, the Q widths are very nicely designed for tweaking voice response and the graphic display is invaluable. Much easier to go by eye than trying to trust my own perception of my own voice through headphones.

You can save all your tweaked profiles so you can switch 'modes' very easily to toggle between say SSB and FM.

You can also go from a nice full rag chew sound to a narrower more focused sound by simply 'grabbing' the low end shelving point and moving it up the spectrum.

The downward expander/comp/limiter is also incredible. It behaves just as I would expect one to. Many implementations of these features seem to have been written or designed by people with no real exposure to these functions.

You can vastly improve the avg peak of your signal without making the effect of the compression obnoxious. Properly applied compression is the key to quality signal, period. This utility allows you to do this much more easily than other approaches.

I've been fiddling with a full studio package for linux called Ardour. Ardour is far more complex as it is a full mixing console. It can accomplish the same effects as this utility, but it is far less straight forward. I despise using Windows, but every now and then a piece of software comes along that bends my though patterns.

This package and Ham Radio Deluxe are enough reason to get me to use my most despised operating system in the shack. That is saying a LOT.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 09:38 Send this review to a friend
$0 amplifier replacement; saviour to IC-7000 and other mobile r  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was unhappy with TX transmit in IC-7000. See my review of IC7000. Simply, in DXing, the audio was inefficient. I made an external speech processor that added punch but the signal quality was not the best.

Then I found a computer program AUDIO SHAPER by VE3NEA. This program was partly described in eham article “Audio Games” by Charles Cohen VA7CPC (http://www.eham.net/articles/18669).

I used cheap, bassy headset with few highs and started playing with controls. A few tweaks in the equalizer made the signal nice and smooth, just like Heil HC5.Then I turned the processing up, and the signal was much stronger; some background noise appeared but it was eliminated with the noise gate.

The results on the air are amazing. After switching between stock and Voice Shaper, everyone praises the shaper stating it is much easier to copy and stronger. Cranking the processing (RF type equivalent) up to 20db introduces no distortion. In several instances under heavy static or fading, boosting processing from 10 to 20db resulted in clear improvement of readability. Also, on the air testing revealed that processing is as efficient as in Mark V Field.

Voice shaper allows creating and storing multiple profiles. So while talking, one can change in a split second from wide-high-dynamic to normal to piercing DX.

An obvious disadvantage of the program is a need for a computer. However, the program can be run in the background while the computer is used for other tasks. If a sound card is missing, probably one can add a card or a USB device (about $30).

In my opinion, this software is better than nearly all microphones, equalization boxes, noise gates etc. It has it all. Perhaps it is hard to use mobile. But if you consider than it can boost your signal by 6db, same as a mobile amp, perhaps a laptop in the back is less pain. Just use a noise canceling headset.

An extra benefit of the program is possibly less interference. Because one can set the output level to where ALC just starts, there is less distortion caused by ALC. Also, by setting to limited bandwidth (say 300-2200 in contests) minimizes adjacent interference while concentrating all the power where the contesters listen (through 1.8 KHz filters).