Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | AmQRP NUE-PSK Digital Modem Help

Reviews Summary for AmQRP NUE-PSK Digital Modem
AmQRP NUE-PSK Digital Modem Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: The NUE-PSK is a standalone, battery-operated digital modem using a Microchip dsPIC33F microcontroller. The project uses a single graphic display showing transmit and receive text data, band spectrum, and tuning indication. When coupled with an SSB-capable transceiver and a standard PS2 keyboard, the NUE-PSK Digital Modem forms an effective, compact, and portable station for working the digial modes on the amateur bands.
More info: http://www.amqrp.org/kits/nue-psk31/index.html

You can write your own review of the AmQRP NUE-PSK Digital Modem.

N4ATX Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition to the Shack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my initial review.
I wanted to get into some digital modes without having to tie up my laptop or worry about a rat's nest of wires on my desktop. Also I wanted something that could easily go portable when I wanted it to.
The Nue-Psk has definately fit all my criteria.
Now for the on air review.
I paired the Nue-Psk with a TenTec Argonaut V and a G5RV,Jr attic antenna.
In just a couple of weeks I have made multiple contacts using PSK-31 at 5 watts on 20 and 40 meters.
Contacts were made from my East Coast QTH near Charlotte, NC.
Contacts gave great signal reports and ranged from states LA, OH, MA, and some DX contacts in Cuba, Canada, and Spain!

Also made contacts using RTTY at 10 watts with same setup mostly on 20 meters.
RTTY Contacts again gave good signal reports and ranged from the following: MD, AZ, TX, CO, WA, IL, and a DX contact in Aruba.

Also tried a CW contact just to see how the Nue-PSK modem would do since it supports CW. Surprisingly it did well.
I carried on a QSO with a chap from Missouri using 5 watts. The Nue-Psk modem decoded about 85%-90%. Enough to complete a nice qso.

Overall- The Nue-Psk modem has exceded my expectations. It is simple to operate and takes up very little space.
It is definately a great addition to any shack.
I also like the idea that it is completely updatable via a memory stick. So when new software is introduced I can update it immedately!

W4FID Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2012 03:37 Send this review to a friend
really enjoy mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used mine with my IC-746PRO from home and with my TS-50 from the travel trailer and picnic benches. Really enjoy it. I run the rigs at about 1/3 power and have simple antennas in all cases. Worked LOTS of nice Qs and plenty of DX. It was easy to get it going and be on PSK. It also does nicely on RTTY.

I have my station within about 30 feet of my antenna and have no RF or "loop" problems and use a simple -- under $20 keyboard. A couple generic/cheap keyboards have locked up on field day where the ground was questionable and there was enough RF in the "shack" to feel it.

There is enough macro capability to make the normal QSO or contest exchange slick --- but not enough to make a "fully automatic QSO" where your computer works my computer while I drink coffee. However I don't like that style QSOs anyway so it's enough capability to suit my operating.

I'm doing everything I want to do and haven't ever used the optional memory stick -- of course I do log manually and don't save QSOs but there too it's not my style. I believe the memory stick option would let me do it if I wanted to.

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 20:33 Send this review to a friend
A great little unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got tired of the rat's nest with my lap top, Charger, USB interface and adjusting the sound card. This unit is so easy for anyone to hook up. In 10 minutes I was on the air with my ICOM 706 MKiiG. You have to get the correct cable and a good key board that is not RFI sensitive. I used and old one from a Compaq computer and it worked fine.

KK7P Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2010 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Innovative and FUnctional  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these since the they were first made available. George and Milt have done a great job. The design is open: software, firmware, hardware. This makes it a wonderful tool for learning, and for contributing.

Every few months -- or less --- an enhancement to the firmware is made available. A USB port has been added to save QSOs to a memory stick as well as provide a means to lod new firmware. Most recently, RTTY operation has been included with PSK31.

Unlike a laptop or netbook, the display is sunlight readable, so portable operation on a picnic table is completely practical.

I've used the modem with an FT-817 as well as a K3.

It just works.

K0DCH Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2008 18:19 Send this review to a friend
A good unit for portable/qrp psk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the NUE-PSK modem with my FT817 for about a month now. It is an excellent way to operate psk portable. I have operated psk portable from a car with a laptop quite often; the NUE-PSK modem will make it much more convenient.

On the down side, it appears to me that the modem does not decode as rapidly as my laptop software--but this is not surprising. The documentation is pretty good but seems to neglect a discussion of some of the configuration settings. Homing in on signals is slower than the typical laptop software--but it works ok for qrp/portable.

A word of warning: The modem does not work well with keyboards that cut corners with the PS/2 protocols. For example, some flexible (roll-up) keyboards work and some don't. Cheaper is not better in this case.

Overall a very good unit for qrp/portable psk and well worth the money for someone who wants a mode other than cw for qrp operation.

K5CID Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2008 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The NUE-PSK is a great tool to add to a field radio kit. This modem will decode some of the weakest signals. It was made, IMHO, as a companion for the FT-817 and other QRP rigs. I have been on the air now for a week since receiving my modem. Again, excellent tool.