Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Fin Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Fin
Heil Fin Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$196
Description: The Fin represents completely new dynamic
microphone technology designed for a wide
range of professional applications such as
live sound, commercial broadcast, and
sophisticated recording. Its wide frequency
range outperforms the tired, 30+ year old
industry technology and can withstand huge
amounts of SPL. The end result is a microphone
that can answer the call to any application.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/fin/index.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Fin.

K9ZM Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Sound, Great Looks!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have never owned a boom mic before. Plenty of desk mics and even a couple headset mics over the past 30+ years. But this time when I redid the shack, I wanted a boom mic. I was pleased to see that Heil offered a mic that was great to look at. All that chrome and those fins!! So 1950's early 1960's styling. I loved cars from that era. I had to have this mic. I don't care that it will light up. Didn't bother attempting to do so.

I have The Fin connected to a Yaesu FT-2000D. I needed to change the default settings as it was too bass, and flat. But that was not unexpected. Some thought was put into it. Not really that hard. Compared it with the recommended settings from the Heil website. One or two slight adjustments and I get great audio reports.

Don't be afraid of this mic. Get right up there and talk into it. Nothing wrong with letting the beard rub that chrome. It's heavy too. The boom handles the weight just fine. I am always swinging it in and out. Moving it around. I thought at first it would be in the way. But it's not. Just something you get used to. I am very happy with it. Not being tied to a headset is a blessing. Did I say it looks great!?

W3DCB Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2009 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Functionality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added a Yaesu FTdx9000D and an Icom IC-7800 to the shack. These radios do not come with mics. So, I thought, what better to go with the best radios made than the best mics made? So, I bought 2 Fins with the PTT base. The beauty of this mic is just eye-catching. The Yaesu FTdx9000 has an XLR plug on the front with the 48 VDC phantom voltage that can be activated. The glow of the blue LEDs at dusk is just so pleasing to the eye. On air testing of the Heil over the Yaesu desk mic, MD-100, gives much more realistic sound (using Heil's recommendations for setting the equilizers, of course) according to my friends who have heard me in person. It would be great if Icom would add the XLR plug to their top of the line radio just for the phantom voltage! Of course, you don't need an XLR plug, Heil makes cords for all brands. I may even add a mixer just to get the blue LED effect from the Fin/Icom combo. The price is also very reasonable for this level of mic. It comes in a beautiful case as well. Check out the mic on their web site!

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Gorgeous Functionality!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my "Fin" several months ago, and wired it, through a Behringer Xenyx 802, to my Drake T-4XB. It worked fantastic, until I moved my shack, to another part of the house. I then got RF back in the line and had a terrible signal. It took me a short time to diagnose the problem, and 2 toroids later, it's sounding better than ever.
I then finished the restoration on my Johnson Viking Valiant, and decided it was far more appropriate, on the Valiant. WOW!!! Does it sound wonderful on that radio, or what? Stunning sound, is what I get from many around the 3870 AM group. I am now debating on getting another one for the Drake, again, or maybe just going with the Classic or Heritage. But, if you have a vintage 50's radio, this is THE microphone for you. Classic "Art Deco" styling, and fantastic functionality, make this a superb mic, for vintage radios.

WM2P Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2008 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Form and Function  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received the Heil as a Christmas present from my wife to use with my Icom 910. Sold the 910 and replaced it with an Icom 706 MKIIG. Went to the Heil site and found that they do not have an adaptor for the Fin to work with the 706. I was crushed. Since I liked the Fin so much I decided that I would simply buy the 8 pin to modular mic adaptor sold by Icom and use it that way. I also put a W2IHY 8 Band EQ in because I just do not sound good on any non Pro Icom, no matter what microphone I use. Well the combo works very well. Good audio reports all around but that is a given for these two products.

Good audio was not why I bought the Fin though. I already own a PR40 and a few other great Heil microphones. I wanted the Fin because I love the way it looks. I found a nice inexpensive phantom power supply and put it in line and now I have a beautiful microphone that also glows. It definately is an attention grabber for most people that enter my shack. At night, when all of my equipment is on and the room lights are off, the Fin stands out on its boom glowing blue like some UFO hovering above my rigs.

I am one of those people who value form as well as function. I am not in the camp of those who are content with function only. I want both. Form and function. That is what the Fin is all about.