Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | US Tower TX472 Help

Reviews Summary for US Tower TX472
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Medium-duty extendable/tiltable tower
More info: http://www.ustower.com

You can write your own review of the US Tower TX472.

N7WY Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2013 14:28 Send this review to a friend
It takes some planning  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was challenged to find a MO PE who could review and sign off the US Tower drawings, US Tower provided no support, and once I did find a PE, he had to request the drawings from US Tower to be sure that they did not fall into competitor's hands. This review cost $300. Part of the exercise was to drill a $1500 hole 25 feet deep to ensure that the provided footer design would work in the MO soil. I overcame these two hurdles, got a permit, had the $3000 footer prepared by a structural concrete company, and passed the county inspections.
My tower arrived in MO two months later from the Lincoln KS factory at 28 minutes past midnight - the driver claimed my cell phone number was inop, but he found me in the local directory. He returned at day break, and I lifted the tower off his truck using a dual bale spear.
One thing I noticed was that the installed thrust bearing was dry requiring 6 shots of grease. After I installed the Yaesu rotator, and strung some cables, I attached it to the base with two bolts, lifted it into place, made sure it was vertical and then bolted it down. The last step was finding no-shrink grout, building a running square form, and pushing the grout under the base plate.
After all this work which spanned several months, I attached an M2 antenna, raised the tower, and worked Senegal on 10 watts with no effort. I expect to be using this tower for the rest of my life.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2010 23:48 Send this review to a friend
SOLID QUALITY CONSTRUCTION  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Steppir DB 18E on top of my tower. No problems with my tower. It is very well built and I had no problems dealing with the factory.

I have the crank up version and usually crank it down due to the summer time storms we get in western Arizona. If I could of afforded it I would of gotten the motorized version. However, cranking it manually is good exercise!

This tower should last me for the rest of my life. Photos of the tower are on my QRZ page.

KE5BTY Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2008 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the manual crank-up version of this tower in the summer of 2003. I initially decided against the motorized version due to it being twice the cost. I had the concrete base professionally installed.

After 3-1/2 years of manually lowering/raising the tower for the Texas storms I wished I had gotten the motorized version. I am only giving this tower a 4 because I did not receive the same generous help as the previous reviewer got from US Tower.

They kindly told me the motor kit HAS to be installed at the factory. Period. Even after I explained that I have the technical skills to install it myself.

AB5GU Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Great people  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Everyone knows how cool big motorized crank up towers are, so I won't spend time reiterating the points. I bought a used US Towers 72' crank up with the tilt over fixture and the motorized drive. The previous owner had neglected maintenance and let it fall into disrepair. It was one of the very old original models. I had to restring the tower, replace the gearbox, and many other small parts. On a tower over 30 years old, this is to be expected. What I really want to tell you about is the excellent customer service at US Tower.

The people at the Lincoln, Kansas location were really great to work with. They took the time to research old drawings to figure out which tower I had and compared them to the photos I sent. They dug through old parts to find the proper parts and custom cut the cables to fit my obsolete tower. The girls in the office were also great to work with, cheerfully handled my many calls and questions, and could not have been more helpful. This is my second US Tower, the 8th tower in the antenna farm. It is now erected proudly in the front yard with a mighty 4 element 5 band quad at it's peak. I wish every company was nice to work with as US Tower.