Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ - 249 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ - 249
MFJ - 249 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: Older type with the meter, covers 1.8 thru 170 Mhz
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ - 249.

NG1I Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2016 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used mine to tune the R-6000 vertical 20-6M antenna where all bands are 1.5:1 or less and thus I need no antenna tuner. Worked the 2016 CQ WW RTTY contest with the Ameritron ALS-600 solid state amp (300W only for RTTY)no problems what-so-ever.

WV9K Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2015 10:36 Send this review to a friend
MIghty Fine, but good :-)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this thing for the better part of forever now and it has served me well enough.

Had to re-solder the board (power switch quit working) and repair the internal battery boxes (base separated from the bottom).

But when it works, it sure simplifies getting an antenna together.

N0TES Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2015 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Last along time  Time owned: more than 12 months
So, I've had this since forever ago. Never has it failed me, and because it was my first antenna analyzer, it has become nostalgic to me. I hope everyone gets an analyzer, because it takes some pretty hefty concepts and puts things into perspective.

KC9SNB Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2014 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Decent tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ gets a lot of bad press, and I suppose some of it is deserved (hey, the customer is always right). Because of this, I never seriously considered the purchase of an MFJ product. Recently, an older model MFJ-249 came up for sale at around $100. The price was right, so I bought it. When it arrived at my house, I looked at it suspiciously. I shook it, but heard no rattle of loose parts. I opened the case, and nothing fell out. I then turned the unit on, and noticed no column of smoke pouring out. This was not what many of the reviews I have read led me to expect. So I put it to work. First I used it to verify tuning on a couple of antennas I had tuned in the past and knew were good. It did the job quickly and easily. I then popped a little duck antenna on it and used it as a frequency counter Ė fun, handy, and very helpful if I ever decide to adjust a transmitter. I then used it to check resonance on my collection of HF antennas. These blasted things are strung around my attic rafters like a copper spider web, and are nearly impossible to tune. I have an antenna tuner, of course; but using the auto-tuner on a non resonant antenna is pretty inefficient, and my signal was pretty weak. Surprisingly, the MFJ advised me that my antennas are quite a bit longer than they need to be. I wish I would have had this thing a year ago. I am so pleased with it that I am getting the optional dip meter coil kit. I donít mean to imply that there are no faults. The oscillator is relatively stable; but not rock solid. The antenna connector is soldered directly to the circuit board, and practically begs for a cracked solder joint. The plastic battery holders clip on to what look like a pair of broom holders. The unit as a whole has that stylish MFJ metal shoe box look to it. On the other hand, a typical MFJ tuner sells for anywhere from half to a quarter of what most other analyzers cost. I am so pleased that I may actually bite the bullet and get one of the more advanced models. While I admit that Rigexpert and a few other companies make better units, a look at what some of these cost gives an increased appreciation of what MFJ gives you for your money.

W9MT Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Good unit, but mine has experienced some common faults...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the unit very much. I purchased it about a year ago at a hamfest for $80.

Upon opening it, I found the usual cracked, cheap battery holders...a usual complaint voiced by other reviewers.

This didn't bother me, as I usually power the unit with a DC cable and external gel-cell battery when operating "portable". In the shack, I use a 12V wall wart. Just make sure you get your polarities properly oriented. There is NO reverse polarity protection diode in any member of the MFJ Analyzer family. You'll usually blow the 7805 regulator if you get this wrong. (No second chances...it will die the first time.)

After having the unit for a couple of weeks, it developed an intermittent problem where the meter would peg really hard to full scale, on every band and frequency setting. (I'm guessing this is why the unit was being sold.) So, I put the '249 aside in disgust until yesterday.

Reopening it, I began to poke around and found a hairline crack between the female UHF connector's center pin and its solder connection to the main pc board. Wiggling the externally connected coax cable made the "crack" just ever so slightly wider. Touching this up with a Weller soldering gun and a bit more solder fixed the problem. The '249 now works just fine.

This makes perfect sense as either:

1. Poor soldering on MFJ's part along with their less-than-stellar QC...

2. OR...this being the mechanically weak point of the design with the weight of "years of coax cables" placing lateral force on the solder joint of the UHF to pc board connection fractured the connection.

So, look for the dreaded UHF connector to pc board issue when your unit is experiencing weird measurement issues. I've read about this complaint on all of their analyzers...207, 249, 249B, 259, 259B, 269, and even the 269PRO. But, this common fault's easy fix can turn a junker unit back into a workhorse.

Other than this, all MFJ Analyzers are great units.

W9VHE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Get One NOW!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used it for trimming dipole antennas, tuning mag mount verticals, checking receivers, and aligning transmitters and receivers. Well worth the money I paid for it years ago. This is NOT "Mighty Fine Junk", but a quality product. This product line has recently been described as 'a test bench in a box'. Later versions have more features, but this one will get more use than you think!

N8CMQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2012 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent equipment, I now have two!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 249 about 15 years ago for $100, the only problem was the battery holders. I bought replacements from the shack and those are doing fine. I have used mine at work so much, I finally bought a second at a swap for $10, as the owner didn't know what he had. New batteries and a quick check with a bird, and I now have two, one for home and one for work!
Excellent equipment!

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2012 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Just keeps working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many Hams believe that MFJ stands for Mighty Fine Junk. Some of their stuff might be. Their new amps need to be opened up and checked for unsoldered points and loose screws and parts.

I do have a MFJ 249 SWR Antenna Analyzer I bought about 12 years ago. One of my better purchases. If you don't own one, know a ham friend that does. They make antenna life much easier. The thing runs on 8 AA batteries mounted in two 4 battery cheap plastic mounts. About a year ago, the ends of the battery cases just broke off. So, I just hooked up an external 12VDC plug with power poles and kept using it, dragging a 12vdc source with me.

At the Huntsville Ham fest, this past weekend, I asked the guy behind the big MFJ counter if he had any battery cases/mounts for my 249. He gave me 4 for free. Guess 2 for backup. Just installed the mounts and 8 new AAs and the 249 is working great.

The 259 and other MFJ SWR analyzers have different/better battery mounts now.

KC9OSX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2012 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Works Flawlessly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used at a hamfest, about 4 or 5 years ago for $80. Had some battle scars when I got it, and gained a few more, but this thing keeps on going. I check it every once in a while for accuracy against a friend's feedline test gear (He's in the cellular and broadcast tower business), and it's always right on. Definitely one of the best used items I've bought.

VE4AMN Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2012 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Decent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit for over 8 years. I use it constantly to set my tuner without applying power on air and to tune all my antennas. It may not be as refined as some other units (Telepost, which I have),but it works well enough.