Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Help

Reviews Summary for TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II
TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $379
Description: When properly installed on your vehicle this antenna will provide continuous coverage from 3.5 to 54 MHz with the supplied whip. The Little Tarheel II antenna like all of our motorized antenna models are built to meet the highest standards but in a smaller size.

All of our antennas come with the sensors already pre-installed so if you decide to add one of the auto controllers (Tarheel Simple Controller, Tarheel Programmable Controller, Turbo Tuner, Antenna BOSS and BOSS II, SDC-100 or the SDC-102) now or later everything is ready.

We designed this antenna for the person who wants to enjoy HF mobile but is not interested in our large antennas. Don't let the small size fool you because we designed this antenna to be mounted higher on the vehicle, and when mounted higher on the vehicle you have less ground loses which equals higher performance. Also, because of the smaller size you can use a more common type of mount like the Diamond K400 Series, the Comet Series or similar 3/8" stud type mount.

And like our other antennas you get the same great look with our Dupont Imron 5000 system with standard colors of black, white, red or silver. It also comes with the LexanTM Weather Shield like its big brothers, not the flimsy stuff others use. This model also uses the commercial 12 volt gear motor.

We designed the Little Tarheel II as a package. All you need extra is a mount of some sort and a nice HF radio. Included standard with the Little Tarheel II antenna is: the whip, 20 ft. of plug & play control cable, manual control box, ferrite decoupling core and 3/8-24 stud.
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii

You can write your own review of the TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II.

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first attempt at HF mobile. I purchased the little tarheal II antenna because of its low profile and because it was said to operate from 6 - 80 meters. I installed it with a K400 type of mount on the hatch of my Lexus RX-350. I also ran a ground wire from the mount to a screw in the hatch door as well. Using my Icom IC-7000 I was working all sorts of domestic and DX on 10, 15, 20 and 40M. I highly recommend this antenna. I also purchased the Ameritron SDC-102 programmable tuner for the antenna. I can't imagine trying to use the antenna with just the up/down switch that tarheal supplies (especially while driving). I used an MFJ antenna analyzer to initially program the SDC-102 and that took all of about 10 minutes. Bottom line...Great antenna - I highly recommend it!

KD0JUF Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Start  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the first antenna I've bought specifically for mobile use. I went with this because of the good reviews on performance and quality, and because it is a much smaller profile than the larger screw-type antennas I've seen.

I am setting up everything from scratch for mobile for the first time. I drive a GMC Yukon XL (full size suburban). I just got a Yaesu 857D, and I also bought the Little Tarheel II along with a Diamond 400 mount for the antenna. I also got the longer 56" whip for the antenna for 80m. I was on my way out the door for a road trip from Denver to Kansas, but was anxious to try it out, so I threw the radio (still new in box), a battery, the antenna (still in the box), a rig runner and power pole connectors, etc. and hit the road. My first night at a hotel, I unpacked everything, put powerpole connectors on everything, and connected the radio, antenna, etc. Tested the toggle switch that powers the antenna screw up/down - all checked out. The next day, after meetings, I mounted the antenna on the back of the GMC, left edge of the rear lift gate, just below the bottom of the window. The 4 set screws in the Diamond 400 mount seemed to hold nicely. I just tossed the cables up to the front seats, connected everything, powered up and voila - great signal reports from all over. Next morning I got on and made more contacts. From KS I had great signal reports from TN, FL, CA, WA, TX, NM, AZ, WY, MS. Many were 5x9. Made contacts in other states as well. Worked mostly 20 and 40 meters, some 80 on the first night. Kept it up working 20 on the way back to CO, making contacts as I drove with WA, WY, CA, AZ, NM. Had several guys comment on what a great signal it was, and they were surprised that a mobile rig was doing so well.

I haven't even done anything to ground this yet, or work on insulating noise from the motor. I just used a battery and powerpole connections and strung the coax up to the radio and the power cable for the screw motor through the vehicle up to my portable battery sitting on the passenger side floor. I tuned by eyeballing the approximate height of the antenna based on the pictures in the antenna manual, then to dial it in, I switched to low power on AM on a clear frequency, keyed the mic and raised/lowered the antenna while watching the SWL meter on the radio until it dropped to nothing. It's obvious when the antenna tunes, as the SWR meter on the radio is max'd until you go through the sweet spot, where it drops down and then it will go right back up again, so it's very easy to see. Once tuned, I switched back to full power on SSB and talked all over. One connection I made from KS was a 59 to TN and I had forgotten to put my power back up, so I was actually working mobile on 5 watts.

This is the first time I've ever done a review. My initial experience has been excellent. This was as close to plug and play as I could have hoped for. I'm not an electronics guru, nor am I a highly experienced radio operator. I don't have any other experience with mobile setups so I can't compare to anything else, but I can say that this antenna is easy to set up, easy to dial in without a tuner, is giving great results, and has gotten me excited about going mobile with HF. The Diamond 400 mount seems to be very sturdy and able to handle the smaller Little Tarheel II. Coming back from KS to CO I didn't have any problems. I hope to come back and review again when I have time to actually set it up right.

KF7JCK Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2013 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My new Little Tarheel II is the first mobile HF antenna I have ever installed. It installed and worked as documented (this is the highest praise I can give to any product or company).

Between it and my 2001 Corolla is the Diamond K400-3/8C trunk lid mount. Everything connected as documented.

I was immediately able to tune as documented, and made an 80M contact with a local emergency net upon installation.

First impression: I do not regret purchasing this antenna. In two years I will know if I would purchase another one.

KP4MLF Rating: 1/5 Jul 21, 2013 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
works but don't worth the money and no help from the company

N4NUI Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Great on a Gorilla Mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got tired of having to get out to re-tune the manual screwdriver so I bought the LTH-II. Using the SWR meter on the rig does work to tune it but that adds QRM on the bands. It doesn't take much more time to use the FG-01 antenna analyser to get it right on the best tuning point more accurately than using the rig's SWR meter function. I use two lengths of 1" braid from the Gorilla Mag Mount to vehicle frame ground points. I use the long telescoping whip from the MFJ-1661 rather than the Tarheel long whip for 80>40. It is a better choice because you can extend it when parked and shorten it when moving. But, I have to swap for the shorter Tarheel whip to tune 6-meters. The antenna works great and the only problems I have had were due to the cheap way MFJ handles the coax connection to the Gorilla Mag mount. Anyone who wants to know how I corrected the problems with the Gorilla mount can email me through my QRZ account. N4NUI

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I no longer have mine (vehicle totaled) but while I had it I thought it was the best overall. Like most hams I started with hamstick types and got tired of the fire drill of swapping those out then went to a Hustler whip with multiple stingers which was a great improvement in more than a few ways. After dealing with comments from my family of driving a windmill around I finally went to the LTH2. It's a great multiband antenna and I endorse the use of the longer whip over the stock whip too. Great mobile antenna! If the small one works this well I can only imagine the larger Tarheels work even better although there's quite a bit more real estate to own one of those.

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
After an upgrade to long antenna - works much better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what a difference after buying the 56 inch antenna I'm now much better off. The difference is incredible, 80 through to 6 meters and a SWR from 1.15 to 1.5 across the whole spectrum and DX now is better in some cases than my home set-up. A great system now it has this larger antenna extension. Oh, and also the auto antenna switch, the SDC-100B is a real bonus, and works great with this unit.

VK2FSTU Rating: 3/5 Apr 8, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Not as I expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Tarheel II and had it installed (on the bull bar of my 4x4 - yes, there are earth staps radiating from the antenna), but have found it to be deaf of transmit to any stations, but picks up the faintess stations, very perplexing, hence my 3. But the concept is good, only if I can get the radio to transmit to those stations I hear will I be satisfied.

W4DKD Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years now and am very pleased with the performance. It's mounted on a Jeep Wrangler which is no ground plane to speak of, but still I can talk to about anyone I can hear, even Europe and South America.

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked the little (it really is) Tarheel II up on a 2 foot high tripod on my 2nd floor balcony, built an L-bracket to attach 20M and 40M Hamsticks as horizontal counterpoises and got in on the International Phone contest (Yaesu FT-950/100 watts). Talked to Stateside (many), Mexico, Columbia and Switzerland on 20 M. Could not contact everyone, but by choosing clear signals, the QSO will be successful. Antenna has less than 2 SWR over entire 20M band and it is quiet and physically not very noticeable. Antenna workmanship and finish are superb and Jean and Robert are very helpful and professional. I'm glad I bought the Little Tarheel II!