Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Help

Reviews Summary for TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II
TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379
Description: When properly installed on your vehicle this antenna will provide continuous coverage from 3.5 to 54 MHz with the supplied whip. The Little Tarheel II antenna like all of our motorized antenna models are built to meet the highest standards but in a smaller size.

All of our antennas come with the sensors already pre-installed so if you decide to add one of the auto controllers (Tarheel Simple Controller, Tarheel Programmable Controller, Turbo Tuner, Antenna BOSS and BOSS II, SDC-100 or the SDC-102) now or later everything is ready.

We designed this antenna for the person who wants to enjoy HF mobile but is not interested in our large antennas. Don't let the small size fool you because we designed this antenna to be mounted higher on the vehicle, and when mounted higher on the vehicle you have less ground loses which equals higher performance. Also, because of the smaller size you can use a more common type of mount like the Diamond K400 Series, the Comet Series or similar 3/8" stud type mount.

And like our other antennas you get the same great look with our Dupont Imron 5000 system with standard colors of black, white, red or silver. It also comes with the LexanTM Weather Shield like its big brothers, not the flimsy stuff others use. This model also uses the commercial 12 volt gear motor.

We designed the Little Tarheel II as a package. All you need extra is a mount of some sort and a nice HF radio. Included standard with the Little Tarheel II antenna is: the whip, 20 ft. of plug & play control cable, manual control box, ferrite decoupling core and 3/8-24 stud.
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii

You can write your own review of the TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II.

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I no longer have mine (vehicle totaled) but while I had it I thought it was the best overall. Like most hams I started with hamstick types and got tired of the fire drill of swapping those out then went to a Hustler whip with multiple stingers which was a great improvement in more than a few ways. After dealing with comments from my family of driving a windmill around I finally went to the LTH2. It's a great multiband antenna and I endorse the use of the longer whip over the stock whip too. Great mobile antenna! If the small one works this well I can only imagine the larger Tarheels work even better although there's quite a bit more real estate to own one of those.

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
After an upgrade to long antenna - works much better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what a difference after buying the 56 inch antenna I'm now much better off. The difference is incredible, 80 through to 6 meters and a SWR from 1.15 to 1.5 across the whole spectrum and DX now is better in some cases than my home set-up. A great system now it has this larger antenna extension. Oh, and also the auto antenna switch, the SDC-100B is a real bonus, and works great with this unit.

VK2FSTU Rating: 3/5 Apr 8, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Not as I expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Tarheel II and had it installed (on the bull bar of my 4x4 - yes, there are earth staps radiating from the antenna), but have found it to be deaf of transmit to any stations, but picks up the faintess stations, very perplexing, hence my 3. But the concept is good, only if I can get the radio to transmit to those stations I hear will I be satisfied.

W4DKD Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years now and am very pleased with the performance. It's mounted on a Jeep Wrangler which is no ground plane to speak of, but still I can talk to about anyone I can hear, even Europe and South America.

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked the little (it really is) Tarheel II up on a 2 foot high tripod on my 2nd floor balcony, built an L-bracket to attach 20M and 40M Hamsticks as horizontal counterpoises and got in on the International Phone contest (Yaesu FT-950/100 watts). Talked to Stateside (many), Mexico, Columbia and Switzerland on 20 M. Could not contact everyone, but by choosing clear signals, the QSO will be successful. Antenna has less than 2 SWR over entire 20M band and it is quiet and physically not very noticeable. Antenna workmanship and finish are superb and Jean and Robert are very helpful and professional. I'm glad I bought the Little Tarheel II!

N4MDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Simply amazing !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I felt this product needed a review. Santa was good to me this year and received a Tarheel 2 HF Mobile vertical. I opened the box and put everything together, then mounted it to my Nissan Titan. I purchased the Diamond K400 door edge mount. This is something that you will have to buy. Because each install is unique the K400 might or might not work for you. There is a ton of pictures and ideas in the "links" section of the Tarheel Antenna website. A few critical notes: 1) ground the antenna well, 2) mount it high as possible and away from the engine compartment, 3) do a Ohm test from the base of the antenna to your ground (vehicle).

So, after everything was installed and had a good Ohm test I turned it on. BOOM ! My jaw fell open. just found my new favorite antenna. I consistently receive 5/9 signal reports from ...well everywhere. If you can hear them, they can hear you. People don't believe I'm mobile ;)

You don't need a tuner at all. You will need an SWR meter. It does take a little practice tuning it. After a few times, its easy.
I would recommend placing a small piece of tape on the moveable column to help mark your bands initially, it helps.
- The antenna has a positive and negative wire that runs the motor on the antenna to move it up and down. Instead of running those wires to the battery I attached a simple DC cigarette lighter insert to those positive/negative wires and plugged it into my cigarette light plug. It draws very low power and works very well.
- So heres how you tune it quickly.. Decide on the band you want to chat on, next move the column in the general are of that band. On your radio, switch to FM and drop your power to QRP, 5 watts or less. Then key the mic and move the column up or down. While doing this, watch you SWR meter drop to zero. When you achieve zero your good ! Switch back to SSB and increase your power again. Once your do it a few times its easy. Probably not a good idea to do when your driving unless you have 3 or more hands. If I had three or more hands then I probably wouldn't be married either.
So in closing, this antenna has surpassed my inverted V in my home. I cannot recommend this antenna enough.

73 !
N4MDX

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2013 17:08 Send this review to a friend
SWEET AS SUGAR! {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought myself a New (RED)TARHEEL II for Christmas to run with my ICOM 7000 in my pickup truck.I added the BETTER RF antenna tune control & BETTER RF tune module & now I have a simple push of the TUNE button controlled mobile setup.I have had a couple of other screwdriver antennas before but NONE were as simple to use & worked so well while taking up such a small space on my pickup. This is the total package for running a 100 watt mobile setup.The RED color is very close to the RED on my 2007 Dodge Quad Cab so it looks GREAT as well as performing GREAT as well.TARHEEL makes an AWESOME antenna & if I'm ever in need of another one it will be a TARHEEL again for me.

WG9U Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Easy Install, amazing results!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an engineer by profession, in two disciplines, and I appreciate a well engineered system, which I consider the LT II Tarheel antenna to be.

Frankly, I've had a number of screwdriver antennas over the years, and have fielded just about every one of their competitors on everything from cars to my trucks. As well versed as I am in electronics design, mobile antenna installations are unique unto themselves and I've gone to great lengths to bond and ground my installations in order to obtain maximum efficiency, with admittedly varying degrees of success using a broad range of screwdriver antenna products. Some of my past experiences with other screwdriver type systems has been challenging, if not frustrating, at times, and the results were shall we say, not as stellar as I might have hoped. Of course the quality of the products varied widely and while some were less than robust, they did at least work to varying degrees, some of lower frequencies better than others, etc. Anyone experienced with mobile operations and antenna systems understands the nuances and pitfalls of various antenna installations.

That being said, I am extremely impressed with the Little Tarheel i.e. LT II antenna system! Happily, I'd like to report that this was probably one of the smoothest installations I've ever had with a screwdriver antenna. What I mean by smoothest, is that it was a relatively simple installation, so much so that I found it just short of true "plug and play". I'm very, very, big on bonding and grounding my mobile installations, so the grounding straps, etc. were already affixed and in place where I'd decided to mounted the LT II, which was the driver's side back door of my crew cab Chevy 2500 HD diesel truck. I used a Diamond K400 3/8 mount, ran the control cable, made my battery connections, etc, fired up my ICOM IC-7000 and began tuning the LT II manually. Unfortunately, I've ordered a Turbo Tuner to go with it, but it's on back order, so no auto tuning for the moment. However, like the old days I just manually tuned it by band noise and quickly had it very close to resonant on the frequency I was tuned to. I found that once I was in the neighborhood, a tap on the control switch, while checking my SWR meter, and I could get it well within the 1.5:1 claims of their marketing documentation. Another tap put me well below that ratio in most cases, which was surprising.

Actually, I'd like to take a moment to note my astonishment that I am actually getting a much better SWR ration than 1.5:1 on most bands... I'm seeing better numbers on practically every band, 75/80 meters being the exception at around 1:5:1 or slightly lower.

Since SWR meters on a radio like the IC-7000 are not as accurate as one would hope, I checked the SWR with my Palstar ZM30 antenna analyzer. I've made a complete mapping of the each band, edge to edge, and the results were pretty astounding as they tend to confirm the IC-7000 meter readings concerning standing wave ratios, only more accurately... In point of fact a majority of the SWR readings are < 1.5:1, most between 1.2:1 or better. Hard to believe, but true.

Not to belabor the point, but this is an amazing antenna... I did order the 56" whip with mine, which is what was in place for all of the ZM30 measurements. Anyway, I've been running 100 watts out of the IC-7000, and my signal reports have been very good for a mobile. In fact, I was on 3.964.25 (the Missouri net) @0500 the other morning and even in the noise I got a 5 3 signal report from here in Florida with 100 watts. I've been able to make contacts in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, North Carolina, Illinois, and Ohio, in the brief time I've been able to get on the air. And on Christmas Day, I made a contact with a contester in Brazil on 40 meters...

The bottom line is that this is an outstanding little antenna, and I'm extremely pleased with it's performance, and the quality of the materials and construction. In fact, I can say with complete assurance that the LT II is the best screwdriver antenna I've owned, to date. If the Little Tarheel is this outstanding, I'm going to have to buy a a model that covers 160 just to see how their larger screwdriver performs. I'm so impressed with the Tarheel product that I cannot see buying any other antenna in this class in the future, except one of their products.

Obviously, each installation is different from vehicle to vehicle, and some may not see results like these, but with all of the screwdriver antennas I've owned over the past ten plus years, this one exhibits outstanding results, the workmanship and construction materials are superior, and the price is right!

The results are so impressive, I have no reservations about recommending this antenna system to anyone!

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2012 10:28 Send this review to a friend
It does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
For about 14 years I used HAM STICKS. They worked great on the top of the car. I then bought a Honda minivan and the HAM Sticks did not clear some tunnels and toll booths when on the roof. I then bought a Little Tarheel II. Put it on the roof, clearance problem solved, did not have to change antennas when I changed bands. It worked as advertised. However, in the back of my mind I felt the HAM Sticks operated better. MORE steel in the air. Used the LT2 for about 4 years, OK, but did not overcome the laws of physics. I then traded the minivan for a SUV with a trailer hitch mount and bought a TARHEEL 200. Boy, big improvement. Yea, it is mounted on the bumper hitch, way too low, but the "full size" of the 200 makes it a real performer. The 200 is as good as the full size HAM sticks were. It is easier to tune than the LT2. A LT2 is better than no HF antenna.

KA3NRJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2012 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: months
I bought the Tarheel 2 for the back of my Saturn Astra, along with the Turbo Tuner, it turned out to be the best combination that I ever had HF Mobile. It works great and very well made. I now put all my Ham sticks away as I no longer need to carry multi antennas in the car.I installed the antenna on a K400 mount. I highly recommend this antenna.