Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Help

Reviews Summary for TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II
TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $379
Description: When properly installed on your vehicle this antenna will provide continuous coverage from 3.5 to 54 MHz with the supplied whip. The Little Tarheel II antenna like all of our motorized antenna models are built to meet the highest standards but in a smaller size.

All of our antennas come with the sensors already pre-installed so if you decide to add one of the auto controllers (Tarheel Simple Controller, Tarheel Programmable Controller, Turbo Tuner, Antenna BOSS and BOSS II, SDC-100 or the SDC-102) now or later everything is ready.

We designed this antenna for the person who wants to enjoy HF mobile but is not interested in our large antennas. Don't let the small size fool you because we designed this antenna to be mounted higher on the vehicle, and when mounted higher on the vehicle you have less ground loses which equals higher performance. Also, because of the smaller size you can use a more common type of mount like the Diamond K400 Series, the Comet Series or similar 3/8" stud type mount.

And like our other antennas you get the same great look with our Dupont Imron 5000 system with standard colors of black, white, red or silver. It also comes with the LexanTM Weather Shield like its big brothers, not the flimsy stuff others use. This model also uses the commercial 12 volt gear motor.

We designed the Little Tarheel II as a package. All you need extra is a mount of some sort and a nice HF radio. Included standard with the Little Tarheel II antenna is: the whip, 20 ft. of plug & play control cable, manual control box, ferrite decoupling core and 3/8-24 stud.
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii

You can write your own review of the TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II.

KD4HGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2010 15:41 Send this review to a friend
BEST ANTENNA I HAVE EVER OWNED  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna as a combo with the Yaesu 857D and the antenna boss tuner.I use the Little Tarheel 2 on my Ford Taraus on the diamond K-400 mount recomened by Tarheel with the current rig IC-706MK2G and it has been flawless in operation.It simply is one of the best antennas I have had on my car.I use the up down paddle switch that comes with it and the SWR meter on the rig and 100% it will tune to a 1.5 SWR or less with a good ground on the antenna mount.Also just a note if you want to work 160M this little guy will do it with the MFJ 3/8 24 thread 12'FT telescopic whip.You cant drive with it on there but it will tune at 1:1.1 SWR on my car..I highly recomend this antenna for any one tired of pulling off the road to change out your hamstick to change bands.Hamsticks do work great but hassel changing bands..73's and Happy DX-ing.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2010 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little mobile HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I no longer have my Little Tar Heel II, having up graded to the HP-40A (stubby) about 8 months ago, I did have and use the Little Tar Heel II for about 3 years. What I liked about the Tar Heel II was the facet that it was small and unobtrusive on my vehicle. It offers HF capabilities from 3.5 through 54MHz, other than 75/80 meters, I had used the Little Tar Heel II with great success. On 75/80 meters it works rather well, but the noise on the band did hamper my attempts at getting the contacts that I thought I would be able to get. Having said that, I did make quite a few local contacts, and even checked into a net that was active on 3.846 until it ceased operation due to lack of interest and band conditions.

If I were to put an HF rig in my wife's car I would seriously consider putting another Little Tar Heel II on it due to its small size. When I had my Tar Heel II I used the 54" whip, it made 6 meters tricky to tune, but it more than made up for it on the lower bands. Get one, get the 54" whip, keep the stock 32" whip for a back up, and with band conditions improving, you'll be surprised at how well this antenna works! This is just one of the great antennas that Tar Heel produces!!

73 de Mark
W3LZK

AG4UW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2010 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna you will find  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 5 years and I have not had any problems AT ALL and it is on the cab of my truck.It is a tough little antenna. All I can say is what a great antenna. You wont beat this one. All i have done to mine is added a 56 inch whip to it. That gave me alot more gain. If something happens to mine I will be ordering a new one. Its not cheep but well worth the money. 73

KB1OSY Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2010 14:24 Send this review to a friend
going pretty good so far  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this ant has been holding up great so far with no hang ups at all still making good contacts everywhere it has about 100,000 miles on it now and has been thru all weather tree hits and still going great no cracks in the paint and runs smooth still loving it see u at 200,000

KD9MF Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2009 13:23 Send this review to a friend
revision of my 0 rating.  Time owned: more than 12 months
tarheel took care of the trouble, no charge. also gave me a new set of wires and switch, no charge. need to retract my 1st rating , they are top notch and customer service is absolutely the best. they bent over backwards to be sure i was happy.

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently replaced my P/U with a small SUV and my old DK3 would not fit and the XYL would have
been pleased with it on the SUV. Friends recommended the Little Tarheel II so I ordered one and was pleased with its quality. My old DK3 was a real HF mobile performer but I needed to do some feedpoint matching. Not necessary with the Tarheel. Performance on 20 through 10 I found it equal with the DK3. On 40 & 75 The DK3 was better. As recommended by the Tarheel folks I put on a 56" long whip and added a homemade capacity hat just above the coil and performance on 75 & 40 improved to close to the DK3 with a much smaller profile. I'm happy and so is the XYL. W1ZE

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2009 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Greaat Little antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had my Little Tarheel antenna for about 30 days and it is everything they advertise it wil do. G3VHF, Carlo Eavis said it all read his review (report) on the Tarheel website. I am pleased with the antenna . So far the antenna has preformed well. when I have it permenantly installed I will give a more detail reprort; but for now it is great!

VE7LGF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2009 23:42 Send this review to a friend
With Antenna Boss and FT-100d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have installed the Little Tarheel II and Antenna Boss with Yaesu FT-100d. Sure tunes nicely 6m-40m and is easy to drive manual with rocker spring center switch. Tune to 75m and listen for noise to increase...Reduce output power and Tx AM FM, or CW with carrier to see low VSWR. One click up or down and resonant. Sure wish I could find a discontinued W4RT Y-OTT One touch tune or the LDG Y-OTT One-touch tune module for autotune 75m...
73 de Glen VE7LGF ve7lgf@rac.ca

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2009 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for use with rental car  Time owned: more than 12 months
My job is in South Africa these days but I make an annual trip home to Elko, Nevada to operate as NV7E. There I have to operate portable or mobile from a rental car. After trying other antennas, I have found the Little Tarheel II to be the best mobile solution for that type of situation. Because it is light and has low wind resistance even at 70 mph, the Little Tarheel II can be lip mounted on the trunk of a sedan using a Diamond K-400-3/8C mount. It easily fits into your suitcase. It sets up in just a few minutes. It handles 100 watts with no problem. On-the-air performance is wonderful. I added a longer whip for improved performance on the lower bands.

Last year I used the standard control switch supplied with the Little Tarheel II but found the wires used from the switch to the antenna too thin and they kept breaking. This year I used Tarheel’s optional SDC-102 Programmable Controller. It works great. I assigned a button for each band on the SDC-102 and once programmed it returned to the desired frequency. Once on the proper band you can fine tune the antenna with the SDC-102 using your rig’s SWR meter. I used a Diamond SX-20C meter because it is easier to see. An advantage of the SDC-102 over some other controller options is that it can be used with any HF transceiver. I also recommend the antenna quick-disconnect option so you can detach the antenna and put in the trunk easily for security.

The Little Tarheel II is an excellent value. I look forward to using it again on my next trip to Nevada.

ZS6SIG

KI4RGD Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you're reading these reviews you are undoubtably asking yourself whether or not its worth it. It is! Here's my story.

I drive a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, soft top. I have two after market antenna mounts side by side next to the spare tire. The antenna mounts are attached to the tailgate of the Jeep. I have a ground strap from the gate to the vehicle. I have multiple ground straps underneath as well. (Hint - ground your vehicle)

The coax runs inside the gate of the Jeep. The control box cable just slips in through the soft top/gate opening. I wanted the control box cable easily accessible in case I had to disconnect the antenna quickly. You never know in a Jeep when you'll have to remove an expensive antenna!

You don't really need an expensive "control box" to find the perfect SWR. All you have to do is listen, its that easy. Change to a band you want to operate. More than likely, the band will sound flat - no static. Raise or lower the antenna using the manual control box. In a few seconds you'll hear the static loud-and-clear! You're close! Now, give your radio a low watt carrier, using voice on 5 watts say your callsign and note the SWR. Trim the antenna up or down until the SWR is agreeable. Give it full power (or enough to make the contact) and you're good to go!

I can do this whole process while driving, shifting gears and drinking coffee - amazing! I digress. This is a great, tough (tuff) antenna. My Jeep feels every bump, hole, rut, rock, etc.. on the road. This antenna just rides along! Yep - its a hum-dinger! I recomend this one!

How does it play? For a mobile HF station, pretty good. I use the standard whip (currently) and I can make contacts across the country, into Europe and South America. I heard Japan the other morning - he couldn't hear me due to everyone and their brother trying to get through.... go figure (I'm only pushing 100w).

To sum up, the Tarheel II is a great little HF screwdriver antenna. You won't be disappointed. If it can handle the abuse of a Jeep - then it should be able to handle anything out there.