Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Help

TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $379
Description: When properly installed on your vehicle this antenna will provide continuous coverage from 3.5 to 54 MHz with the supplied whip. The Little Tarheel II antenna like all of our motorized antenna models are built to meet the highest standards but in a smaller size.

All of our antennas come with the sensors already pre-installed so if you decide to add one of the auto controllers (Tarheel Simple Controller, Tarheel Programmable Controller, Turbo Tuner, Antenna BOSS and BOSS II, SDC-100 or the SDC-102) now or later everything is ready.

We designed this antenna for the person who wants to enjoy HF mobile but is not interested in our large antennas. Don't let the small size fool you because we designed this antenna to be mounted higher on the vehicle, and when mounted higher on the vehicle you have less ground loses which equals higher performance. Also, because of the smaller size you can use a more common type of mount like the Diamond K400 Series, the Comet Series or similar 3/8" stud type mount.

And like our other antennas you get the same great look with our Dupont Imron 5000 system with standard colors of black, white, red or silver. It also comes with the LexanTM Weather Shield like its big brothers, not the flimsy stuff others use. This model also uses the commercial 12 volt gear motor.

We designed the Little Tarheel II as a package. All you need extra is a mount of some sort and a nice HF radio. Included standard with the Little Tarheel II antenna is: the whip, 20 ft. of plug & play control cable, manual control box, ferrite decoupling core and 3/8-24 stud.

You can write your own review of the TARHEEL LITTLE TARHEEL II.

KI5SO Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2011 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Complicated but does the job.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted 75 meter capabilities in my mobile with my Yaesu FT-857D so I sold my Atlas 120A antenna and bought the Little Tarheel II. First impressions? This is an expensive route to take to get onto 75 meters in your mobile. Secondly, it's a headache to route the extra power cable and you have to purchase an expensive device to interface your radio with the antenna to use the tuner button on your radio. For 40 meters through 440, the Atlas 120A worked on every band and tuned faster than the Little Tarheel II. The Atlas only requires the coax and not an extra power lead to the antenna in order for the Yaesu to power the antenna. As I said, it's an expensive way to get on 75 meters.

That said, the antenna is quieter than the Atlas and does a decent job on 75 meters. Looks like it's built like a tank. I don't like the thing going into the park mode if you accidentally change frequencies to 2 meters or hit the tune button twice. Why do I not like that? Because you must wait about 2 minutes or 3 minutes for the antenna to screw down and then go back up again. You can't stop it and reverse it once it decides to Park. It's more complicated than the Atlas.

Conclusion: I wish Atlas would add 75 meters to their tuning line up as the antenna is simple to install and use. If you operate a Yaesu FT-857D and can live without 75 meters, save yourself about $400 and a big headache and get the new Atlas 120A model. Otherwise, this Tarheel II tunes and does what it says but it's not as simple as people make out to install and use. If you've never used Atlas 120A then you might just disagree, but I have bought myself an expensive lesson. Live and learn. Ask yourself, do I really need this?
NF6Q Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2011 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Good choice for a small HF mobile screwdriver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a Little Tarheel II now for about a month. It's mounted on the driver side rear quarter panel of my Honda Element using a Breedlove ball mount.

It's a very good antenna, for what it is. Please remember that ANY small screwdriver is a real compromise antenna, and will be extremely inefficient. There's no escaping the laws of physics. Don't expect to put a Little Tarheel II on your car and get the same kind of performance that you'd get from a full size vertical, let alone what you'd get out of a larger screwdriver like the Tarheel 300, Hi-Q, Scorpion, or similar.

But if you have the right expectations, the correct mounting, and good RF grounding and bonding practices, you should be pleased. It's especially good for 10m to 20m. I've had some 80m QSOs, but with around 1% efficiency, it's nowhere near ideal for that.

Still, for a small screwdriver, you could do a lot worse! The construction is really top notch. It feels solid, well built, a very professional product. I'm pleased with it.
KA0AZS Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile HF Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this to go with my recently bought IC-706MKII for my first ever HF mobile rig. Mounted on a Trailblazer and using a Turbo Tuner, usually with the long whip.

My experience has been fantastic.

During a family vacation from Ohio to Mt Rushmore we were able to talk to someone on HF every travel day (usually 20 and 40 Phone), including MidCars, Cuba from South Dakota and W1AW from Iowa. A nice comfort when traveling out of range of cell coverage out west. Got my daughter more interested in studying for her General.

Only warning is to check the mounting screws regularly. Mine came loose and I could have lost the antenna if I hadn't noticed. I started checking all screws daily on the road, and now weekly at home.

Folks at Tarheel Antennas and W0BW answered all questions, made suggestions, and over all were a joy to work with.

Highly recommended
VE6TEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 19:30 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this antenna a few months ago for my JEEP Wrangler. After I installed it, I hooked it up to my IC_7000 and WHOA!!! I was hearing thing I never heard with my fiberglass sticks, and getting out better than ever. I have since purchased the Tarheel 300A for my JEEP, The Little Tarheel has a new home, on wifeys JEEP. The small size was a necessity for my HF mobility when driving her JEEP!
K4VU Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2010 16:49 Send this review to a friend
A nice little antenna that's XYL approved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After the wife gave me a IC7000 for my birthday, I picked up a Tarheel II on a whim. After going through a couple of mounts and adding the long whip, I took it out for its first test drive: the Alabama QSO Party. On my 2006 Xterra, it performed flawlessly through 14 counties. It was coupled with an Ameritron screwdriver antenna controller (which will make your operating life much easier), providing pushbutton tuning with no fuss whatsoever.

I once used a 706 and hamsticks -- which worked great. But this solution saves me a lot of time changing out antennas -- and is much more pleasing on the eye. Don't let the compact design fool you -- I had no trouble working anyone I heard on 80 through 6 meters with it (using both the short and long whip).

I highly recommend this antenna. And I also recommend the extended whip and a controller (the extra $150 ia a worthy investment).
VE7REN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2010 13:47 Send this review to a friend
most excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
here we go..............i installed it 2 weeks ago,and all i can say is wow. what a beautiful piece of equiptment. very nice finish quality and workmanship. tunes anywhere and everywhere i want on 75/80/40/17/10 with great results. tarheel answered all my questions i emailed them over the previos months. very good and prompt service.i have to mimic all the previous reviews. you wont be dissapointed.
M6GOM Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2010 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Oops, forgot..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Forgot to mention in my review...

Changed from 10-80m whilst driving at 80MPH into a strong headwind and it had no problems.

Also, save your money and don't buy a tuner box for it. Took me very little time to learn to do it by ear - stick the radio on CW or FSK, listen until it gets to the loudest and you're only a tap away from 1:1 SWR. I don't even bother turning the power down now when I tune because I can always hit it <2:1 every time.
KD4HGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2010 15:41 Send this review to a friend
BEST ANTENNA I HAVE EVER OWNED  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna as a combo with the Yaesu 857D and the antenna boss tuner.I use the Little Tarheel 2 on my Ford Taraus on the diamond K-400 mount recomened by Tarheel with the current rig IC-706MK2G and it has been flawless in operation.It simply is one of the best antennas I have had on my car.I use the up down paddle switch that comes with it and the SWR meter on the rig and 100% it will tune to a 1.5 SWR or less with a good ground on the antenna mount.Also just a note if you want to work 160M this little guy will do it with the MFJ 3/8 24 thread 12'FT telescopic whip.You cant drive with it on there but it will tune at 1:1.1 SWR on my car..I highly recomend this antenna for any one tired of pulling off the road to change out your hamstick to change bands.Hamsticks do work great but hassel changing bands..73's and Happy DX-ing.
AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2010 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little mobile HF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I no longer have my Little Tar Heel II, having up graded to the HP-40A (stubby) about 8 months ago, I did have and use the Little Tar Heel II for about 3 years. What I liked about the Tar Heel II was the facet that it was small and unobtrusive on my vehicle. It offers HF capabilities from 3.5 through 54MHz, other than 75/80 meters, I had used the Little Tar Heel II with great success. On 75/80 meters it works rather well, but the noise on the band did hamper my attempts at getting the contacts that I thought I would be able to get. Having said that, I did make quite a few local contacts, and even checked into a net that was active on 3.846 until it ceased operation due to lack of interest and band conditions.

If I were to put an HF rig in my wife's car I would seriously consider putting another Little Tar Heel II on it due to its small size. When I had my Tar Heel II I used the 54" whip, it made 6 meters tricky to tune, but it more than made up for it on the lower bands. Get one, get the 54" whip, keep the stock 32" whip for a back up, and with band conditions improving, you'll be surprised at how well this antenna works! This is just one of the great antennas that Tar Heel produces!!

73 de Mark
AG4UW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2010 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna you will find  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 5 years and I have not had any problems AT ALL and it is on the cab of my truck.It is a tough little antenna. All I can say is what a great antenna. You wont beat this one. All i have done to mine is added a 56 inch whip to it. That gave me alot more gain. If something happens to mine I will be ordering a new one. Its not cheep but well worth the money. 73