Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters HT-46 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters HT-46
Hallicrafters HT-46 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $New Price/Year: $295-$349.95/196
Description: Modes: SSB/CW
Bands: 80 - 10 Meters
Input Power: 180W PEP-SSB, 140W-CW
VFO: Yes (transceive w/SX-146)
Power Supply: Internal
Final Tube(s): 6HF5
SSB Method: Crystal Filter (9 MHz)
Size: 6.0"h x 11.0"w x 13.0"d
Approx. Weight: 26 lbs

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters HT-46.

W3PYF Rating: 3/5 Dec 29, 2009 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Only collectors should want one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received my HT-46, along with my SX-146, as partial payment for some freelance PR work I did for Hallicrafters back in 1966-67. It was one of several rigs of that era that struggled to use TV sweep tubes in RF service, rather than the more desirable 6146 family. Back in 1967, the pair looked really spiffy - sort of like hi-fi equipment and the cars of the era.

While the SX-146 was and is a competitive receiver, the HT-46 was quite unsatisfactory. CW made the rig run scary-hot, and the SSB reports were only fair. I ran a Ranger 1 on CW, and that was a vastly superior rig. Once I got an FT-301 back in 1978, I unloaded the HT-46 and never missed it.

However, because the SX-146 was such a wonderful receiver, I hung onto it, and stupidly tried to make it more sociable by stripping the cabinet paint and covering it in walnut contact paper, and placing it in my living room.

The receiver sat in a box unused for more than 20 years, surviving two divorces as I just could not bear to sell it. Six months ago, I opened the box and plugged it in - and darned if it wasn't just as sensitive and selective as I remember. If you see a SX-146 at reasonable (~$100) price, snap it up. But stay away from the HT-46.

K3ANG Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2008 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Xmtr of my 1st station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one used from the local (Baltimore) ham store back in 1975 for my first station. Had it mated with a Lafayette rcvr (ugh! it was cheap). Traded it in for my 2nd station (Tempo One) after 3 months. I wish I still had it but would use a better rcvr with it. The ads in QST had it mated with the Hallicrafters SX-146 rcvr.