Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Icom ah-2b Help

Reviews Summary for Icom ah-2b
Icom ah-2b Reviews: 4 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $339.95
Description: The ICOM AH-2b bumper mount antenna covers 40 to 6 meters. It is 8.2 feet (2.5 m) tall and features a stainless steel spring. Compatible with AH2, AH3 and AH4 Icom tuners.

You can write your own review of the Icom ah-2b.

M0SRW Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2016 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Well made   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got one of these off eBay for 140 or about $210 used but in good condition complete with AH-2 ATU I did away with all that silly mounting junk as it was only fit for cars made in the 1950s and I'm one of those who possess a drill and not afraid to use it on my van it's now mounted on top and ok it's 14foot to the to it works very well
As for the ATU that is now wired to work on my Alinco DX70 and its so much more quieter that the Alinco EDX-2 that sounds like a 50cal machine gun firing 100 rounds
KD5IKX Rating: 3/5 Apr 21, 2011 10:10 Send this review to a friend
So far so good....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna without reading either of the reviews here. That being said, I am so far very pleased with the antenna's performance.
However...... I do have a bone to pick with Icom on the mount. You HAVE to use their mount. If you're mounting on a car, you should be fine. If you are mounting this antenna on a truck, get some more tools and put your engineering cap on cause you're gonna have to do some engineering on the fly.
N2GQL Rating: 1/5 Dec 8, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Bad Construction Practices  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with the above commenter. I purchased an AH-2B to use with my IC706. After 6 months the antenna began to act flaky. The AH-4 would constantly try to retune the antenna. A close inspection found several mechanical issues, all of which appear to stem from using substandard and/or mixed metals. I was able to get it going again by replacing parts with stainless steel and making a few modifications.

Several months later, however, problems returned. In the end I got rid of it and replaced the AH-2B with a standard 102" whip whip with spring, and ball mount. The IC706 has worked flawlessly ever since (for two years).

KB8ASO Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2008 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Poor choice of materials.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a ah-2b that is now junk. You do NOT mix various types of metals in a product designed for outdoor use! Steel threaded rod into stainless. Brass screw into stainless. Steel bolt into stainless spring. Stainless bolts into steel inserts in the insulator. The lower part of the mount uses a mix of stainless and regular steel parts. What a mess. Most fasteners frozen and just snap off. I will need to completely rebuild the thing since I will have to drill out the old fasteners. For what the thing costs it should be 100% stainless steel. SAVE YOUR MONEY.