Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | K4DPK VFO STABILIZER Help

Reviews Summary for K4DPK VFO STABILIZER
K4DPK VFO STABILIZER Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$70.00 Shipped
Description: Greatly reduces drift in conventional VFOs and PTOs. This device has been installed and proven effective in a great many older rigs.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the K4DPK VFO STABILIZER.

W3BK Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Improves stability on old hybrid vfo's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to let everyone know the good experience I have had using the K4DPK VFO stabilizer. I recently restored an old TS-830S tranciever and after the restoration, the vfo was a bit drifty. I purchased a K4DPK vfo stabilizer and installed it in my TS-830S. I couldn't believe the difference in stability. The vfo was now extremely stable after only several minutes after power-on. The vfo stabilizer comes as a fully assembled high quality circuit board, with all cables and necessary parts to install it in the target radio. It also comes with complete instructions that are specific to the radio that was specified. I understand that there are versions available for all the old hybrid rigs (Kenwood, Yaesu, Drake, Swan etc). I have just purchased a 2nd TS-830s to restore which I know has a problem....something to do on a long winter evening. I also purchased a 2nd vfo stabilizer to improve this rig. I know there are a lot of hybrids/boatanchors out there that could make use of the stabilizer. The vfo stabilizer is well worth the price.
I am not affiliated with K4DPK or his business and I did not receive any compensation for this recommendation.

Paul W3BK

VK4TUX Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2010 13:55 Send this review to a friend
FT--901D install  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I fitted Phil´s K4DPK VFO stablizer to my Yaesu FT-901D Hybrid and never looked back.
Absolutely no drift once tuned to a frequency for qso, it holds it tight even when rig is first turned on.
The frequency counter and not the frequency itself drifts a little during warm up on the ft-901d , with the counter calibration tweaked to correct.
It does cause a small offset in the analogue dial tracking as moved through the band 40-50 kc or so where the ring grip may need adjustment to match the counter, but is of no issue to me.
I used the frequency counter 14v supply to feed the k4dpk pcb, also mounted on the counter on silica pads. Fits snug under the cover.

Good deal.

Adrian

VK4TUX

K9PLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2008 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Stability of older tube and solid state VFOs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the first review that I have written for anything and I believe that the K4DPK VFO STABILIZER is not well known, but it is one of the best accessories for older equipment that I have come accross. Basically the signal from a stable on-board crystal oscillator and a sampling of the signal from the rig's VFO are both processed through binary counters to develop a high degree of accuracy, then integrated to generate a control voltage that is applied to a varactor network across the tuned circuit of the VFO.

This is not a kit. It is fully assembled and only a few connections are made to the existing radio.

I have used this Stabilizer with an old tube VFO, heathkit HG-10B and the Heathkit HW-100. After the 20 minute warmup, I switched on the Stabilizer and it held that frequency for more than an hour without drift. It is great to use the older equipment without drifting all over the band. This will not fix an improperly working VFO, but it will definitely lock a properly working VFO to one specific frequency.

I highly recommend this unit especially if you are on cw or ssb.