Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | NUE-PSK Digital Modem Help

Reviews Summary for NUE-PSK Digital Modem
NUE-PSK Digital Modem Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $179
Description: Very portable PSK digital modem with graphics and text display. Can be powered by two internal 9 volt batteries or any 12 volt supply. Other modes in addition to PSK will be available later through downloaded firmware updates.
More info: http://www.nue-psk.com/

You can write your own review of the NUE-PSK Digital Modem.

W5LL Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2016 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for something to get on the digital modes while portable \ mobile. This unit fits the bill nicely. Not only is it small and compact but it's affordable. Much cheaper than a laptop\netbook\tablet + digital interface setup and none of the bulk compared to having to lug around all that equipment. Right now I'm enjoying mine working PSK31 from the mobile (when parked of course) running 10w to a hamstick.

AD7QQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable PSK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this in early December to use in SOTA operations but have not had the opportunity to do this yet. I have used it extensively while travelling and in my living room with an indoor antenna and 5w power. It works great, decodes PSK31 well. I have not tried its CW functionalities yet. I did find it runs through the two internal 9 volt batteries relatively quickly so I now run it primarily on the 12 volt external power. One problem I had initially was with it inconsistently recognizing the keyboard. I found this was most often voltage related and was easily cured by using external power and by switching the power off then back on to reset. The macros were easy to program and the whole device is intuitive to use. I highly recommend it.

G4ABX Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2014 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device & a great addition to any shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for a couple of years but only recently started using it 'in anger' since completing the build of my K2.
The combination is excellent!
I can have a battery powered QRP rig, CW, Data and SSB without a PC in sight.

The version 5 software really transforms the modem and the Flash Drive update process works seamlessly.

The CW decoding is -- adequate, but that's all I expected. The PSK and RTTY performance is exemplary. Now I hope the next update adds PSK-63 :-)
A great addition to any shack.

KD6NXI Rating: 3/5 Aug 8, 2014 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Great for PSK not CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PSK mode is awesome. The CW reception is worse than the MFJ reader. They both require distinct signals without a loud noise floor. Heavy traffic around the signal you are trying to copy just confuses the hell out of it. I really don't understand why these devices have trouble decoding signals that a good cw operator could copy.

KB0LCO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using my NUE-PSK modem for over 2 years now and it is perfect. Never misses a beat and the owner (George) is of the highest caliber person to do business with. Run the unit on a TenTec Jupiter and vertical and also on a FT857d and dipole. Both of my station measure -34 IMD on transmit at 10 watts.
Unit is small, light, self contained and reads signals that can't be seen on screen. It's used only on PSK 31 but will do other modes also. There are several files and many commands you have control of, plus macros.
Wish there was more macros available but there would probable never be enough. While the price is higher than other modem this is a no brainer hook up and go. I have had rigblasters, signal links and others and this beats them all. Not needing a computer to keep adjusted makes this the only choice for real fun. While others are adjusting sliders on the computer screen, you can be sending and receiving with ease.
Almost quit psk till I found this unit and now I never do voice. With this unit plus my dipole, ft 857d and a gel cell, all fits in a small tool box and goes portable with me everywhere from vacations to fishing trips. Can all be set up and on the air in under 5 minutes. You will never be disappointed with this unit or their company.
Highly recommend.

N4ATX Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Addition to the Shack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my initial review.
I wanted to get into some digital modes without having to tie up my laptop or worry about a rat's nest of wires on my desktop. Also I wanted something that could easily go portable when I wanted it to.
The Nue-Psk has definately fit all my criteria.
Now for the on air review.
I paired the Nue-Psk with a TenTec Argonaut V and a G5RV,Jr attic antenna.
In just a couple of weeks I have made multiple contacts using PSK-31 at 5 watts on 20 and 40 meters.
Contacts were made from my East Coast QTH near Charlotte, NC.
Contacts gave great signal reports and ranged from states LA, OH, MA, and some DX contacts in Cuba, Canada, and Spain!

Also made contacts using RTTY at 10 watts with same setup mostly on 20 meters.
RTTY Contacts again gave good signal reports and ranged from the following: MD, AZ, TX, CO, WA, IL, and a DX contact in Aruba.

Also tried a CW contact just to see how the Nue-PSK modem would do since it supports CW. Surprisingly it did well.
I carried on a QSO with a chap from Missouri using 5 watts. The Nue-Psk modem decoded about 85%-90%. Enough to complete a nice qso.

Overall- The Nue-Psk modem has exceded my expectations. It is simple to operate and takes up very little space.
It is definately a great addition to any shack.
I also like the idea that it is completely updatable via a memory stick. So when new software is introduced I can update it immedately!

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2011 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my unit a couple of years. Over those couple of years, they (George and Milt) have continued to enhance and upgrade this modem. Initially is was for PSK, now they've added RTTY and CW as well. I use it for 4 different radios, including a KX-1 QRP setup. Firmware upgrades are easy, you can connect it via USB to your computer and do it, or use a thumb drive and upgrade the software in a minute or less. It has a spectrum display and a few lines of text show the data decoded as your QSO progresses. Macros can be used. Runs on battery or a wall wart. Small and portable, I love it. As upgrades come along, particularly hardware changes (there have been a couple such as adding the USB board) you can pay a nominal fee and send the unit back and they'll do the upgrades. Just an overall great little modem.

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2011 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Working within minutes!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Digipan and a USB interface modem were cumbersome on my operating desk. This is small convenient and very easy to use.
Mark KC3JV

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2010 22:50 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE MODEM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchaed my NUE-PSK MODEM at the 2010 Dayton Hamvention. It was by sure luck, that I was on 30m CW, the weekend before leaving for the Dayton Hamvention, and started a QSO with Mel. I then learned that Mel was also going to Dayton, so we agreed to meet and I purchase the NUEE-PSK Modem assembled at a great price. It came with everything I needed to get on PSK.

It does what they say it will do! Easy to set up, you don't need the manual. Its easy to use and it will operate on a wide range of dc voltages. I made my first contact within a few minutes after turning it on. I purchased it for QRP mountain toping. The modem works without a computer and is the size and weight of my KX1.

The modem is very well made with a back lite screen that is easy to read. The workmanship is perfect and it has clean lines and graphics on the front panel. All ports are labled, plus a self contained battery compartment on board.

So, if you want to work PSK and RITTY on the go or at home... it may not be fancy... but it works!

Mike/W6YDE

AC0DQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2009 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Works as Advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought this would be perfect for when I want to go portable or mobile, and I was right. It works exactly as advertised, right out of the box...Setup is absolutely minimal. I'm using it with a Kenwood TS-480, and it has totally replaced the laptop and Digipan I was running before. My only warning would be to make sure you turn the mic gain WAAAY down, since the unit's drive adjustment just doesn't have the fine tuning capability to keep the rig from going into ALC action. Once I dropped it down to 3, I was able to easily get the power level I wanted. Not often something works this well right out of the box. I'm sold on it.