Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | NUE-PSK Digital Modem Help

Reviews Summary for NUE-PSK Digital Modem
NUE-PSK Digital Modem Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $179
Description: Very portable PSK digital modem with graphics and text display. Can be powered by two internal 9 volt batteries or any 12 volt supply. Other modes in addition to PSK will be available later through downloaded firmware updates.
More info: http://www.nue-psk.com/

You can write your own review of the NUE-PSK Digital Modem.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2009 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Great stand-alone modem for PSK31 and RTTY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a good way to simplify working PSK31 and RTTY with my Elecraft K3 transceiver. The main problem I had was that I used my computer with my favorite logging program, N3FJP's AC Log, but when I worked digital modes this meant flipping from screen to screen or using two computers, one for the digital mode program and one for logging. What I really wanted was a small outboard device to run the digital modes without a computer.

I finally found it in the form of the NUE-PSK Digital Modem. It is a highly portable device with an LCD display that even an "appliance operator" like me can handle. You can order it as a kit, but I ordered it factory assembled. I also ordered the cables for transceivers I am likely to be using the NUE-PSK with, such as the Elecraft K3. The modem comes with a cable which you can configure yourself for any transceiver. I knew I would be anxious to plug the modem in and get on the air right away, so I ordered the pre-wired cables. You can order battery holders to provide 12vdc battery power to the modem, but I didn't because I figured I would always already have 12vdc available from the transceiver. I use an adaptor with Anderson Power Poles that I had already made for something else but fits into the modem 12vdc input. The only other thing I needed was a small 6 pin min-DIN keyboard, which I ordered on eBay.

When I ordered the NUE-PSK I expected it to work only with PSK31, but it came with the new version 2.10 firmware which adds RTTY capability. I have been using it with my Elecraft K3 in both digital modes, and it works great, virtually right out of the box. It's fun to use! It would make a great Christmas toy for a ham.

You can print out a menu sticker from the NUE-PSK website with the basic commands which you attach to the face of the modem. It is easy to use the menu commands from the keyboard once you get going.

The LCD display is large enough to see without difficulty. The tuning device in the LCD is a spectrum display reminiscent of the one on the Ten-Tec Orion. The display refresh rate is not quite as fast as with the Flex 5000 but pretty good for the price.

The NUE-PSK comes with a slot for a USB thumb drive which you can use to record your QSOs. It fits a common two inch long thumb drive, but I inserted one that is only about one inch long. This way it should resist problems better if the modem somehow falls on its side. The NUE-PSK manufacturer has now introduced an optional mounting bracket to support the modem better when placed on top of a transceiver.

I think the NUE-PSK will be my modem of choice when I am using the K3, at home as well as when operating portable. It is sure to become a popular accessory for many hams

ZS6SIG

K7ZOV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 21:51 Send this review to a friend
psk and now RTTY and no computer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The NUE-PSK is a self contained ultra small and light standalone modem with an easy to read display, macros and can work with any radio. I use mine with a ICOM IC-703 and Yeasu FT-817. QRP+NUE=PSK is contacts and fun. The original software supported PSK with more modes in the future. The promise has been meet with RTTY. Now you can set your 817 or 703 or K2 or..up anywhere and work PSK31 or RTTY with no computer and no hassle. This is one outstanding unit and is a must for any serious QRPer or digital person. Check out http://www.nue-psk.com/ for more details and updates.

DL5KW Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2008 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Fine, but some problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the modem with an ICOM IC-703, a small keyboard and a 7,2Ah battery, all in a suitcase for portabel use on warm summer and autumn days. My modem gets its power from the IC-703, no modem-internal batteries used.
Additionally I used the modem at a Kenwood TS-2000.

The good features:
The decoding is fine, the device worked as described with both transceivers. The signal spectrum in the display helps a lot. The display is quite small, but good readable.
But in the daily use some problems occured:
1) The device is a little bit bulky, and it was difficult to find a place in the suitcase, there I could read the display, and at the same time the buttons on the surface and the PS2-USB-adapter did not disturb the keyboard.
2) The F12-button for Send/Receice-toggle is difficult to find in the hurry of a QSO. An extra key (maybe Escape or CapsLock?)on the keyboard would help.
3) Quite often I lost a QSO, because somewhere in the middle I lost connection with the transceiver, the cable into the J3-cocket became creeping loose. I soldered three additional wires at the J3-socket, to use the pins 2,3 and 5 also. So most connections are double, the loose contacts became more seldom. Sometimes the connection to the keyboard was also lost.

I test some keyboards, about half of them worked.
The macrokeys F1 to F7 are stored in the EEPROM, but I do not use them, I am annoyed by any macros.
I do not use the arrow-keys left/rigth, only up/down. At the beginning I had some problems to find the right pins at the transceivers.

There are not many solutions for PSK without a computer, so thanks a lot to the developing team.

N5CSU Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2008 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this unit early on and have had it on the air QRP with my FT-817 since March. It's a great way to operate PSK-31 without tying up a computer. Works well and fun to leave on all the time. While it does not have all the bells and whistles you'll get with a computer, the portability more than makes up for it.

While the unit offers PSK functionality now, other modes may be developed later and would be available via a download.

The folks that build these units are volunteers. It may take a while after ordering before you'll get it but it's worth the wait!

There is a NUE-PSK yahoo group for questions and support.