Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun Help

Reviews Summary for Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun
Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun Reviews: 18 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $26.50
Description: The W2AU is the preferred Balun of Amateurs worldwide. W2AU's operate at 1.1:1 or less VSWR from 1.8 to 40 mHz, and handle powers up to 2 KW PEP (at SWRs of less than 3:1). W2AU Baluns are transformer designs with ferrite cores to provide 95% minimum coupling efficiency. Each has a built-in lightning arrestor, hang up hook, and 600 lbs of pull-apart strength in a weatherized, rugged package using only stainless steel hardware and quality materials. Two models are available. The 1:1 matches 50(75) ohms unbalanced coax to 50(75) balanced dipoles. The 4:1 matches 50(75) ohm unbalanced coax to 200(300) ohm folded dipoles.
More info: http://www.unadilla.com/w2awire.htm

You can write your own review of the Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun.

N4JHY Rating: 1/5 Jun 19, 2017 13:40 Send this review to a friend
not worth the match to light the dynamite to blow it to hexx  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a 75 meter inverted vee on my tower, with a W2AU balun. The tower was about 3 feet from a window. Ran an SB220 amp at the time, so figure about 1200-1300 watts PEP.
One night saw glowing sparks raining down just outside window. Came to find it was the W2AU balun, on fire. SWR was 1.1:1.
Lately, had two W2AU end insulators fail and with each failure, dropped my home brew SuperLoop 80 to the ground. Too soft a material for an end insulator.
Do they make anything that works?

N5XJT Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2017 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Good So Far  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed on a Spiro D-44 trap dipole when the factory balun shorted. No problems and RFI has left the building. Seems to be fairly well assembled. Rated a "4" because questions to Unadilla customer service are either answered very well or of late, not at all. Was going to buy two more but could not get questions answered after three tries.

KC5H Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2017 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All I can say is, "WOW". I picked up the 4:1 version at a local hamfest to build a portable and lightweight 20 meter delta loop as a camping antenna to go along with a 33 foot tall fiberglass mast and my Elecraft KX2. For easy installation I only soldered spade connectors onto the balun and wire element. I use nylon S snaps for strain relief and Wally-World cutting board as insulators. With the apex up and the feed point at the bottom center my SWR is no higher 1.3:1 from 14.000 - 14.350. In the voice portion which is where I operate the SWR is 1.1:1 @ 14.150, 1:1 @ 14.250 and 1.1:1 again @ 14.350. I also get nearly the same results from my home QTH running my FTDX 1200.

VA3LUK Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2016 17:27 Send this review to a friend
waste of money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had this balun on my 80 m dipole I had problem with swr, after 10 seconds of transmission with 200 w on lsb swr jump to infinity after short break I got 1.1 again and after short transsmission again the same problem.With 100 w the same problem but i can be on air even 30 seconds before crazy swr.
I changed balun for dx engineering product and i have no problems.

UY0HY Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Qualitatively made​​.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Qualitatively made​​. All fasteners are secure and durable. I bought from Chris Fox, ni4l.com.Price is equal. This is not a balun for 100 $! good service! I am very pleased.

WB4IVF Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the $$$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this balun with my inverted-v and 100W radio. This is a small balun and is designed to be used with a properly tuned antenna with low SWR. As with the other baluns that I've purchased, I weatherproofed it before putting it up. Just common sense, as many baluns, even the much more expensive ones, are prone to water leakage at the connectors. If you are one of the fearless types who ignores manufacturer instructions and expects any balun to survive high swr and/or high power amps, by all means get a more robust one at several times the price. Otherwise this little balun should do just fine. Within its design parameters it performs just as well as it's larger/more expensive competitors, and is a good value for the money.

KE5QDA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 19:27 Send this review to a friend
TWO MORE S-UNITS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up a new 40 meter inverted vee today using the unadilla balun instead of the MF_ type I had been using for four years. My signals in the receiver gained 2 S-units. That's correct!! No, the background noise did NOT increase. I'm sold on this particular item for wire antennas.

K1LI Rating: 0/5 Nov 6, 2010 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Not for off-center fed antenna?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried this balun with an off-center fed wire antenna. I don't know why, but it did not perform the expected 4:1 transformation from 200 ohms to 50 ohms. Following advice on a respected ham web site, I reversed the connections of the "short" and "long" legs, to no avail. Wasted a lot of time before I made my own 4:1 balun from W2FMI instructions, which works perfectly.

AA7UY Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2010 11:40 Send this review to a friend
A good balun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several, right now I've got 4 installed on inverted Vs. Some have been up in the Las Vegas heat for a decade. None of mine leaked even in heavy or lasting rain. I'm using copper clad steel antennas acting as guy wires as well, so they were exposed to heavier strain than usual. They gave me good service.
One observation: the side eyes/nuts work loose every year or two, could use lock washer type nuts on both sides. Also, since they're held against round masts with hose clamps, they should have a slight concave indentation on one side of the end caps, this can be done by the user.

KT4TL Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2010 09:14 Send this review to a friend
1:1 Balun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned 2 and one is on it's second decade. Never had a problem. Used on separate dipoles for 160m & 80m at 1KW.