Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun Help

Reviews Summary for Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun
Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $26.50
Description: The W2AU is the preferred Balun of Amateurs worldwide. W2AU's operate at 1.1:1 or less VSWR from 1.8 to 40 mHz, and handle powers up to 2 KW PEP (at SWRs of less than 3:1). W2AU Baluns are transformer designs with ferrite cores to provide 95% minimum coupling efficiency. Each has a built-in lightning arrestor, hang up hook, and 600 lbs of pull-apart strength in a weatherized, rugged package using only stainless steel hardware and quality materials. Two models are available. The 1:1 matches 50(75) ohms unbalanced coax to 50(75) balanced dipoles. The 4:1 matches 50(75) ohm unbalanced coax to 200(300) ohm folded dipoles.
More info: http://www.unadilla.com/w2awire.htm

You can write your own review of the Unadilla W2AU Wire Balun.

NM2K Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Worked as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the 1:1 version on my Mini Products HQ-1 for several years. No problem whatsoever. Just make sure the drain hole is at the lowest point possible.

I just ordered a 4:1 to use inside the shack at the end of my Van Gordon All Bander's 450 ohm twinlead feedline, then a jumper from the balun to my LDG-1000 autotuner. I hope this works as well as my last setup. Will let you know if I have a balun problem.

CHRISGM Rating: 0/5 Aug 1, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Now in the bottom of a box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had two on seperate antennas. On one this was the manufacturer's recommended balun! Lousy preformance, can't believe HRO sells them. Replaced with DX engineering baluns, all is now right in my world.

W4BGN Rating: 0/5 Jul 31, 2008 16:34 Send this review to a friend
FULL OF WATER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The balun became full of water after one rainstorm. Yes, my coax was sealed, but the water had to come in from the top or sides. There is no damage to the balun such as cracks, etc...

I think it's just very poor craftsmanship!!!

If you buy 1 of these, be prepared to have your SWR and tuners act crazy!!!

VK5ZDB Rating: 0/5 Apr 10, 2008 01:57 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Claims a VSWR of 1.1:1. I checked the 4:1 balun with a 200 ohm load on the output. Didn't get 1.1:1 VSWR ANYWHERE between 1.8MHz and 40MHz. The best was around 1.4:1 at 14MHz. 28MHz was 2.8:1 !